Electrical system for your truck

photocodo

I have an 06' Tundra that I recently got a snugtop shell for. I am in the process of building an 8in sleeping platform with storage compartments underneath. I will be traveling a good bit and hope to be camping out of it quite often as well. I am looking to put some power in the back that I can charge batteries/phones, run lights, a fan etc (not necessarily at the same time). I dont need anything crazy as I wont be running an AC unit or putting a mini fridge or microwave in the back;) I just need a little power to keep things charged and maybe some light at night. My thoughts right now are to run wires directly from the truck battery to the back and solder up a 12v outlet that I can either plug 12v accessories directly into or plut an inverter into so I can use my chargers. My only concern is that obviously the Truck has a starter battery and not a deep cycle, and I would hate to be out in the woods packing up camp only to realize that my battery is DEAD!! Does it sound like this is enough to drain the battery after 1-3 days of use? would I need to put in a deep cycle battery and converter to be safe? What do you guys do in this situation? I was also thinking about wiring my dome light directly to the truck battery so I could run it when the truck is off (at night when Im cooking/reading etc). So what are your thoughts, is this just a bad idea? Thanks for your help

Cody

uriedog

metal melter
For what you want to do deep cycle or starter will be fine. If you don't have room for a second battery under the hood, put it inside a battery box in the bed of the truck. Use welding cable to connect it to your truck battery, and put a continuous duty solenoid (activated by a ignition on power source) between the batteries. Then you will not kill your start battery, and your aux battery will get charged as you drive.

This is how I have my truck camper set up, works awesome

Arclight

SAR guy
Cody,

I highly recommend that you get a low-voltage disconnect for your battery. I have this one, and it has saved me a few times:

http://www.prioritystart.com/12vpromax.php

You can get this at Amazon or your favorite on-line store. Installation is a 20 minute job.

Picture of it installed:
http://imgur.com/jtqVKBt

I also have a Snugtop, and I made a little Aluminum panel that I screwed into the plastic bed liner of my T100. It has 4xAnderson Power Poles (these are excellent, sturdy 12V connectors used by HAM radio folks and lots of industrial users) and a 12V cigarette lighter plug. I would recommend the "Blue Sea" brand for fuse blocks, 12V sockets and USB sockets. West Marine sells all of that.

GT5oO.jpg

jtqVKBt

For Power Poles, this place stocks everything:

http://www.powerwerx.com/

I ran a #10 wire from both terminals of the battery, to a 40A fuse on each wire, and then back to a fuse block. It's best to run both wires, as you want to have a good ground if you ever install a HAM radio, fridge, or inverter.

XBXqH.jpg

Arclight

Last edited:

mpike

Make sure that battery is solidly held down so you don't have acid flying around and a short resulting in a fire if you're ever in an accident.
Also Be aware that during charging the battery is offgassing flamable and bad to breathe hydrogen gas.
Ideally it should be enclosed in an airtight box, vented to the outside, but I've used them without one in my shell, as the shell isn't so airtight as my big camper. You're usually not in the shell while its charging. Just don't light any cig's or other smokeables near it.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Your electrical demand is very modest. A low voltage disconnect and some fuses is all you need worry about. Here is another lov voltage disconnect
http://www.rogue-engr.com/12Volt-15Amp-Low-Voltage-Disconnect_p_14.html
You mention an inverter for charging, if at all possible avoid this by getting 12v chargers. Led lights and led bulbs are also a good idea. If you must have an inverter the morningstar one is the best as its totally sealed and has no fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94