Mercedes 407D Full Timer Build

Ron Bones

Observer
Hey all,

Just thought that since the build has finally started that I'd get on with a bit of a build thread for anyone who's intersted!

So here goes. This is the beast in question, a 1986 Mercedes 407D, which I imported from Hoff in Germany last September. Flew over and drove it back with no troubles what so ever.

The plans for this is to live in it full time and travel the world. It's been a long time coming after messing about with a couple of VW T4 campers before, the last of which I jacked up and ran big AT tyres on but the modern VW's just aren't up to the job, unreliable and a pain to work on. So I've gone for something simple, easy to fix at the roadside and relatively bomb proof. Were going totally off grid too, no hook ups.

Finally getting my teeth into it anyway after a long battle trying to get the thing registered after importing it but its on the road as of last week and things are moving on fast.

So here she is anyway, fresh plates and road tax and the first time I got to drive her to my unit to do anything!

First thing to do was get everything ripped out, it was a crew cab ambulance so the partition came down, seats out, old lining out and then off for some spray foam insulation and I battened out the floor and insulated that with rectocel.

And in with the insulation;

The spray foam has made a massive difference. No more drumming panels and its so warm in there!

Today I've been putting the ceiling in;

Also went and bought a Spinflo Nelson Hob, oven and grill, a Whale flipper manual galley pump and a 300W inverter. That'l teach me to go look at the sales at the local chandlery.

Well thats it for now, get some walls in tomorrow hopefully!

Ron Bones

Observer
Thanks!

Right, just to give you some idea of where its going heres a very rough image.

I'm not great at this sketchup business!

basically a fixed rear bed over a garage for bikes and tools, a sofa with a removable table which will make another bed so it's a four berth just in case.

Also, I'm on a very small payload as my licence will only allow me to drive 3500KG! The van weighs 2600 empty so I'm building all the interior carcassing from aluminium, timber worktops will be routed out on the underside to save weight, no cupboard doors just Euro crates on runners. Also planning some canvas dividers so you can have a wash in private, one behind the front seats and a second behind the toilet.

The toilet is a simple composting type with a fan venting through the floor, the toilet will be divided off with a canvas tent type affair, still working on that.

No shower, just a sink to wash at, might have a camping shower for use outside also no hot water, we'l just need to boil the kettle. I want to keep things simple.

The clear blue bits in the picture are frosted acrylic. I don't want to lose too much light, so an acrylic toilet wall that you cant see through but lets the light through and a panel above the bed since the rear windows will be obscured by a wall.

Hope that all makes sense. I'm ordering my alloy tomorrow so the kitchen build will start next week, doing that first and then fitting everything else around it. Not doing the rear bed until the end so that I can still carry sheet material through the back doors.

bdog1

Adventurer
Cool project. Can we get some chassis/motor specs? This is not a van we're familiar with in the US.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm going to guess that you already know of the book Travel Vans by John Speed, but on the off-chance that you don't, it's a book devoted to the planning for and conversion of a mid-90s 814 of similar size. Good overviews of the way to put in the different systems.

I went to put down the link for the book, http://www.travelvans.co.uk, which had been around fifteen or twenty years, but it doesn't work any more. So the book is apparently only available used, which is producing a wacky situation where one seller wants $28 for one and other people want $900 or $1700. The three "acceptable" copies on U.S. Amazon are $180. Yikes. So if you find a cheap one, snap it up. (I've personally given away a dozen copies of this book to friends and people who bought my campers. Hope everyone kept theirs. ;) )

Also of interest will be the actual van, which was briefly for sale here on ExPo, though it ran into US import issues. In any event, the thread, with some potentially useful pictures, is here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114600

Ron Bones

Observer
Hi bdog1, you probably know as much as me spec wise to be honest! We don't get these over here either hence having to travel to Germany for one but information is really scarce. Mine, the 407 is a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder common rail diesel, same engine as can be found in old diesel merc saloon cars. The more common engine, found in the 608/9's I think, is the 4 litre. Unfortunately because of the weight limits of my license I stumped for the smaller engine, its considerably lighter and is surprisingly efficient. We averaged close to 40 MPG on the 1200 mile drive home with it. Mine also has quite a rare 5 speed box. I hunted high and low for this feature because the set up is basically a dog leg 1st gear, essentially a crawler, and then 2, 3, 4 and 5 like a normal 4 speed. On the more common 4 speed you really only have 3 driving gears which tops you out at about 50. Chassis wise, I'm not sure how much this shares with the Unimog of the same era. A Dutch company was offering a conversion to unimog running gear and I believe there was a very very rare 4wd version from new. I've seen some German literature about it. They are supposed to be surprisingly capable off road despite being 2wd obviously. I have seen people fit 814 lockers, which is very interesting. I'll wait and see how stuck we get before doing any mods though.

Mhiscox, I was not aware of that book but it is now firmly on my shopping list!! If I can find one at a reasonable price obviously. Thanks a lot for the heads up and I'm off to have a read about the van now. That should fill my evening nicely. ;)

Ron Bones

Observer
Hey bdog1, been having a poke about and the engine is an OM616, I should have know that! Haha. Seems quite popular in the states as a replacement in toyota's, mitsubishis, all sorts! Found a blog of some guy putting one in an astro van too. He must not like being able to hear himself think! :D

Cole

Expedition Leader
There has been one of these floating around for sale in Arizona for awhile. Guy wants a lot for it and its kinda trashed. I still considered it.

Cool to see a build of one.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Ron,
I also have the 'Travel Vans' book and it is excellent.
Based on your sketchup, it is as though it were written for you.
I hope you can find a reasonably priced copy where you are, as it is from the UK.
Strongly recommend that you obtain a copy...

Mhiscox, I was not aware of that book but it is now firmly on my shopping list!! If I can find one at a reasonable price obviously. Thanks a lot for the heads up and I'm off to have a read about the van now. That should fill my evening nicely. ;)

Ron Bones

Observer
thanks ersatzknarf, ive got it in my saved searches on ebay and gumtree so fingers crossed!! I'm desperate to see it now you've said that!!

The Mercs do seem to be fetching a lot of money over there Cole. Similar story here, they dont come up much and when they do they are overpriced. My uncles had a 306, like the one you posted for going on 30 years now, they tour switzerland, france, spain and italy every year in the thing and bodywork aside its never wanted for anything. Great Small trucks!

Sadly any building has been on hold this week because I was waiting for all my alloy to arrive, its showed up today whilst I was out and they've sent the wrong stuff!! God I hate ordering stuff online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles