Croix's Tent Trailer Build - something a little different

croix

Observer
I've been looking for a trailer to pull behind my Jeep JK 4 door for quite a while. I wanted something to support two-man hunting trips in the backwoods of Northern Idaho and considered several options. I initially thought about the JK Habitat but ultimately decided that my old bones didn't need to be crawling out of that in the middle of the night to pee. My focus switched to trailers which is how I found this site. There are some very clever box builds on this site (M416, M100, home built, etc.) but these designs generally require some sort of RTT which put me back in my middle-of-the-night pee situation. Next on my list of possibilities was the teardrop. I gave the teardrop a LOT of consideration and it remained at the top of my list for a long time, but I started to consider pop-up trailers as well. Livin-lite makes some neat looking stuff and began to trump the teardrop idea. I like how light they are, the fact that I can stand upright in them (not so in the teardrop) and that they at least some sort of off-road options. I like the width of the Quicksilver 6.0 but not the layout. I like the layout of the Quicksilver 8.0 but the width made me nervous. Another thing that made a bit squemish is the price. It's a fair price, but still a chunk more than I wanted to spend. I had all but decided that one of the Quicksilvers would be my answer when I found some old pop-ups being modified in various build threads on this site. I had all of the same concerns that others do - weight, width, structural integrity, how easy/hard would it be to modify, is it within my ability, etc. Still, I figured that with a little help from some friends (and paying some professionals when necessary) I could modify a pop-up for less than I could buy a Quicksilver and began the search for just the right pop-up.

I searched the RV section of Craig's List daily with search words like "tent" and "pop-up". After months of this I was questioning whether or not I would find the right combination of size, weight, condition, and cost. Everything that looked like a decent starting point was more money than I wanted to spend. Everything within my price point was either completely broken down or not quite the right layout. Then one day I came across this:

00D0D_cUkSeRPSGHa_600x450.jpg

00P0P_hqzJ13kbqoh_600x450.jpg

It is a 1952 Hawthorne Vacationeer from Montgomery Wards that I was able to get for $1000. I love the fact that it has two separate small beds and a rear entry. I also like that it is 4' wide by 6.5' long and the whole thing weighs about 300 pounds. I have some concerns about how well the tent will hold up under heavy snow, but will start with a tarp on top to help sluff snow and see how that works. Also, the tires will clearly not work for my intended use and the amenities are REALLY sparse. No propane, heat, electrical, water, etc. but that's the point of this build :) I've already got ideas for a new axle and suspension utilizing take-off parts from my JK (control arms and trackbar) and some air bags to create my own version of a trailing arm suspension. It will have matching 17" Jeep rims and 35" tires and the track width will be able to match my JK which is pretty cool.

BUT - the first order of business is a sturdier frame. I was inspired by stomperxj's Sawtooth XL build and basically stole the idea and modified it to match my mounting points (thanks stomperxj).

top down frame_printable.jpg

I will be buying the steel next week and getting started. I have to admit that building/welding the frame makes me the most nervous but you gotta love a neighbor that's a car guy and has a welder ;) I don't know how quickly this build will progress since I've got a pretty tight budget, but I will update when there is progress. My goal is to have at least the frame and suspension done with new tires by the time Elk camp rolls around in October. All of the kitchen amenities etc. will already be there along with several canvas tents so it should be a good inaugural run. I can work on making it solo camp worthy after that.

Wish me luck!

Croix

croix

Observer
Frame on hold

The bad news - I have to wait another month to buy the steel for the frame.

The good news - I spent the money earmarked for steel on a set of 315/70 17 Goodyear Duratracs (same as my Jeep), mounted on Jeep rims, with 1.5" spacers. Wheels and tires should have come much later in the build, but I got a good deal on Craig's List and couldn't pass them up.

Now I'll have to busy myself with body work and prepping for paint while I wait for steel.

-croix

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
This will be an interesting build.
It is nice to have the door in the rear so it does not interfere with tires or fenders.

croix

Observer
Some progress

I bought the steel this weekend for the frame. A friend of mine found a guy with more than I could possibly need for just $150. I've got 5 2"x2"x10'x.120, 4 2"x3"x9'x.120, 2 1.5"x3"x8', and some shorter scrap pieces. Hopefully will start welding the frame up next weekend.

I've also disassembled the whole trailer. The tent is now in the rafters of my garage, the beds are up against the walls, the frame and box are under a tarp, and the rest of the parts are scattered about. Really wish I had shop space that I could dedicate to the build, but I'll work with what I have. Here are a couple pictures of the teardown.

Beds removed
100_1649.jpg

Inside the box is pretty sparse. The crossbar is for lateral support of the walls. New cabinets will go in each side with bracing which will eliminate that bar, as well as the straps that go front to back. Not sure if I want to keep the table mount???
100_1650.jpg

The door on this side of the trailer is too big for the 35" tires going on. I need to make the door about 1/2 that long and fill the remainder with sheet metal. I've considered eliminating the door altogether, but it's nice to have at least one outside access for things like tools, wheel chocks, etc.
100_1652.jpg

Most of the old c-channel frame will be scrapped except the axle which is going to a buddy with a similar size trailer.
100_1662.jpg

The previous owner had placed boards under the box to reduce floor flex. The new frame should take care of any of those issues.
100_1670.jpg

croix

Observer
That's a great build Mark. I've looked through that one and many others for ideas. Frankly, I wouldn't have had the guts to go this route without this site. Tons of good stuff.

croix

Observer
Frame almost done

Progress has been sloowwww. My buddy/neighbor has been doing the welding and our schedules haven't exactly meshed the last several weeks, but the frame almost done.

100_1677.jpg

Brackets for suspension attached.

100_1681.jpg

Suspension brackets being welded to axle

100_1682.jpg

Air bags will be delivered this Friday, so hopefully I will have a rolling chassis by the end of the weekend. Next step is to put the box on and verify positioning for the fenders which will be framed with 1"x1" and skinned with sheet steel. Then I will be able to sand and paint the frame before moving on to the box. It's good to finally see things coming together.

croix

Observer
Body test fit and fenders started

Finally got to test fit the body and all of the tabs lined up perfect. Ran into my first snag of the build though. I made the frame so that it would line up with the very front of the body, but did not account for the backset of the stabilizers. I can still use the rear stabilizers, but will have to come up with something else for the front - probably just a tongue jack.

100_1688.jpg

Drilled the holes and went to put the riv-nuts in, only to discover that the 1/4" mandrel I bought is actually an M6 mandrel. Guess I won't be installing riv-nuts until Monday. Since I couldn't go any farther with mounting the body, I started on the fenders.

100_1690.jpg

I got all of the pieces cut for both fenders but I need to get the tires under it before I weld everything up. My design has pretty tight tolerances and I want to make sure nothing will rub. I would have finished the axle and had the wheels mounted this weekend, but the brake kit I ordered didn't come with the necessary 7/16"-20 nuts. Guess I will get those when I take the M6 mandrel back.

I picked out a paint color for the frame. It's Rust-oleum universal "flat metallic soft iron". I test sprayed a small area and I really like the look. Should go well with the Red Rock Crystal (maroon) body to match my Jeep. Once suspension is done (brakes, hubs, etc), I can finish the fenders, get the frame painted, and move on to the body.

Almost forgot - ordered my max coupler today from Knight's Offroad Trailers. $225 with free shipping.

croix

croix

Observer
Good progress

Made significant progress this weekend and I now have a rolling frame. Here is the new frame next to the original frame.

100_1705.jpg

Here it is behind the Jeep. It has a slight up angle because there is no air in the airbags. At ride height it sits level.

100_1704.jpg

With the airbags completely deflated the track bar brackets act as bump stops to prevent damage to the bags. This will be the height that I use at camp so that the rear door can reach the ground as it's supposed to (also becomes the step into the camper). Changing from ride height to camp height was the biggest reason for me to use bags.

100_1701.jpg

I went with the Max Coupler. Love this thing. Super easy to set up and use.

100_1702.jpg

Now I get to start work on the camper body. First up - there is a door on the driver side that is too long and won't work with the new tires/fenders. I'm going to cut it in half and weld sheet metal in to fill the hole. Then I will cut another door on the passenger side to match. I will rattle can the outside with the closest color I find to match the jeep. The inside will be flex-sealed before adding insulation and storage under the beds. I may actually have this thing ready in time for elk camp in October :)

-croix

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That tub will look great matched with the jeep.
Nice design on the frame.
Looking forward to more progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz