Tacoma Baja rack - Flat utility vs basket

voodoojk

Adventurer
I am torn between what style of baja rack to put on my 2013 DCSB. The utility is obviously a lower profile. Less wind drag on a day-day basis. The basket style will hold cargo better in my eyes (basket sides/lashing points etc) but sticks up higher then the rest of the truck by a good amount.

Frontrunner is sweet but a lot more $$$$..

I have a softopper..not like it matters but it is an asthetic key point. lol.

Looking for opinions and pics if you have them. I have seen almost all the threads on this already but looking for fresh info

Thanks!!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
If you don't have a clearance problem with your garage or at work, I would think that the basket w/rails would work better securing cargo within that (relatively) smaller rack area.

I feel the entirely flat racks really come into their own in the bigger length sizes when you can also easily use them for general utility like carrying ladders, lumber, sheets of plywood, etc.

Then again I like the 'clean' look of the flat racks, too...

tacomaut-6.jpg

tacoma1.jpg

Of course, these two don't look half-bad.

tacoma8.jpg

(All pictures courtesy Bajarack's website)

zscott

Adventurer
I am a fan of the flat one personally. I like the low profile look and the ability to carry longer items such as wood, or kayaks if needed.

voodoojk

Adventurer
anyone want to photo shop a flat rack? haha
tacoma7.jpg

I too like the flat clean look..but..is it too flat and "clean on a truck? does it look silly unloaded? its not all about looks obviously but hey....we all like it to look good.

ebg18t

Adventurer
I like the basket style as I can secure stuff to the edges easier. In my mind it feels more secure.

Had the BajaRack on my LandRover and on now on my current 4Runner.

zeebm45

Front Runner - Rooftop and Topper

I enjoy the low profile of the front runner i added to my truck ... They make a Tacoma specific for the roof and then i had a universal added to the topper. Allows me to get in and out of the garage at work which was a big plus for me!

Attachments

• IMG_2108[1].jpg
    IMG_2108[1].jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 105

voodoojk

Adventurer
Front runner looks great zeebm45. What sliders did you go with? slee maybe? i cant tell from the pic.

Last edited:
I purchased the Frontrunner as well. The slimline is low and flat! After you add in shipping for the Baja the Frontrunner was only $100 more and weighs a lot less.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Can an awning be attached to a flat rack? Random thought @ 12:30 am lol

Yeah. BajaRack used to make a special awning bracket for the flat rack.

Yeah x2... Literally.

Bajarack still makes that bracket - http://store.adventuretrailers.com/...ing-Bracket-Mounts,-For-Expedition-Racks.html

aw.jpg

FrontRunner also makes an awning mount specifically for the sides of their flat racks as well for the 'Front Runner Easy-Out Awning, as well as other popular awning brands' - http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/rack-accessories/front-runner-awning-bracket.html#.U1BUW_ldV8c

front-runner-awning-brackets-RRAC029-2.jpg

front-runner-awning-brackets-RRAC029-4.jpg

Last edited:

vicali

Adventurer
So which one did you get OP??

I'm sitting here making the same decision.
My main goal is to be able to carry a 16ft Prospector canoe up off the canopy. It will be on gunwhale brackets on either of these two racks..

Utility by a hair so far :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94