Comet SS-460SB NMO or Larsen NMO-2/70SH??? Is One "Better?"

Which of these two antennas should I buy? Please post why.

• Comet SS-460SB NMO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Larsen NMO-2/70SH

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Something Completely Different

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't know that imports used here is derogatory but just a conveniently used statement to mean Comet and Diamond that come from Japan vs. Larsen that come from the U.S. It's not that they are cheaply made antennas, in fact most people agree that they are made well enough. It's just that they are more complex configurations and are finely made so tend to be more delicate and finicky. The same is said of Motorola radios vs. Yaesu, etc. with feature rich displays and interfaces, but since both are imported there isn't a distinction made per say. It's usually described as commercial vs. ham gear. Larsen antennas are simple designs that are made to be tougher. Sure, they break, but it's my experience that if you run a Larsen in a situation that it /might/ break you /will/ break a Comet or Diamond.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Open coil due to flexibility and easier to keep clean. Nothing for water to gather in. I have had one for several years. Thing is in better shape than my truck. Just do it. It only hurts the first time :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz