are Mark's 2.7:1 gears worth it?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
He is no longer making the 3.15 gears that are more preferred, so are the 2.7 gears worth the money? The disappointing thing is that the stock case in my Jeep has 2.72 gears and it's hard to swallow paying almost $1200 to get the same result in the Montero.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
IIRC there were folks on 4x4wire's Mitsu tech forum trying to get a group buy going and that Mark would be willing to make them if enough people committed to buying them. IMHO yes it's worth it but 3.15:1 is better. Dual xcases (w/ the rubicon xcase iirc) works good too. Check w/ the Mitsu AZ crew on 4x4 wire's AZ forum. See their thread on Lloyd's build.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The advantages Marks 2.72 has over just swapping on a jeep case is that you don't need driveshafts or the pulse signal converter and the big plus is that they are much much stronger than the jeep case. Having said that and having swapped a few T-cases into Monteros and having owned Marks 2.85 and 3.15 gear sets I say swap in a rubicon rocktrac t-case if you want to crawl. If you are just trailing around on up to 35's get the 2.72's either marks or NP231, the 3.15 was slow for trailing and not low enough for a serious crawl.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Would the 2.7:1 be sufficient for 35's?

Yeah it would be the minimum if you want to do nutty stuff, especially at high altitude. We really beat up PA_JERO's '94 SR on Thompson hill running 35's and stock gears (fully overloaded), 2.72 would have made it much much better.

I would think so. It should be adequate with the automatic tranny. If you are looking for more help you can change to the 4.90 gears in the diffs. Personally I would do the gearing upgrade first because that not only helps on the trail, it also helps drive ability on the road.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I would think so. It should be adequate with the automatic tranny. If you are looking for more help you can change to the 4.90 gears in the diffs. Personally I would do the gearing upgrade first because that not only helps on the trail, it also helps drive ability on the road.

Yeah, the 4.90's are much cheaper and easier to come by, for now I'm going to throw that set of 33x9.50's on and drive it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz