Tough Ipad cases

Ron Bones

Observer
Hey all,

Not sure if I've found the right section but I'm after some input on the best tough expedition sort of ipad cases.

Just ordered an ipad mini mainly to better document my build and then use in the field and I cant decide between the pelican vault, otterbox defender, griffin survivor of the lifeproof.

Any suggestions from users? Loads of reviews on line but non from proper overland/expedition types that I can find!

Thanks in advance!

jonny.jpg

Adventurer
Rokform. I've dropped mine plenty of times and still intact. I love that I can mount it to my dash on my XTERRA also with the adapter,

-Jonny

Ron Bones

Observer
Thanks jonny! Never actually heard of Rokform. Looks a fantastic case, great idea with the mounts, that would be perfect for me. Unfortunately I've just noticed that the ipad I ordered is the 'retina' model which isn't currently supported by Rokform. I'd also have to check if they would ship to the UK. They're really well priced.

Ron Bones

Observer
Thanks Scott, although you have just thrown a completely new spanner in the works! I had never considered a keyboard case for the thing. Looks great and is only £35.00 on amazon.co.uk. Almost seems too good to be true. Whats the catch?! Might just go for it and see how I get on.

Got to agree with Jonny above, the lifeproofs are silly money! And the portfolio type cover being an extra at £30 is ridiculous.

I really wanted the Pelican to win here just so I could own a Pelican case but the reviews are very mixed, it's very expensive and lacks a screen cover. What are Pelican playing at? I'd have thought they would have this market cornered if they really tried!

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Honestly when I had my full size iPad I ran an otterbox for it. Lasted almost two years being tossed around an ambulance at work plus hauled around with my photo gear. Plus lasted four disaster deployments too.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Ron Bones

Observer
Thanks for the suggestions, I've just ordered the Trent Airbender mini from amazon, its very similar to the otterbox when the keyboards removed apparently and was a good price so we'l see how it fares! Thanks again!

jeremyk

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions, I've just ordered the Trent Airbender mini from amazon, its very similar to the otterbox when the keyboards removed apparently and was a good price so we'l see how it fares! Thanks again!

Hey I just purchased an Air and want a keyboard solution like you found. I want to use it for navigation and for writing, but am not sold on the all-in-one case thing. Please post up and review your purchase.

Ron Bones

Observer
initial reactions of the new trent airbender mini are excellent! thanks for the recomendation scott!

The keyboard is excellent for the price, some of the odd key placements will take some getting used to but it works great. I'm on it now.

the case itself is excellent. every bit as protective as the otterbox I think and with the keyboard attached and all closed up it could take a good fall I'm sure!

the hinge takes a bit of fiddling with but it seems robust. So far so good!!

Ron Bones

Observer
The lifeproof is great! Right after recieving my airbender case I happened to go to the gadget show (sure you have similar US events). I got my hands on a lifeproof and thought that if I don't get on with the airbender then that's what I'll replace it with. I just don't quite know how they justify the price and also don't get the new nuud model as that doesn't have any screen protection?

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
The lifeproof is great! Right after recieving my airbender case I happened to go to the gadget show (sure you have similar US events). I got my hands on a lifeproof and thought that if I don't get on with the airbender then that's what I'll replace it with. I just don't quite know how they justify the price and also don't get the new nuud model as that doesn't have any screen protection?

I had a nuud on my iphone 5 before I went back to Android and loved it... Still waterproof and shock proof, but without the built in screen protector. You can still use a stick on one if you'd like. The lip of the case helps protect the screen in case of any falls though

C5dad

Observer
Otter Box

I have had my defender for over a year and love it. Thing is bomb proof , though not water prof - just resistant. My nephew had a puking moment and hit all the electronics in the charging area. Mine cleaned up way easier than the others in various cases. The only weak spots are the microphone and the speaker ports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior