Optima, Odessey, DieHard, someone else?

WMDunkin

Adventurer
yeah that is the charger I was looking at. I know it is "manual" to hit the different stages but that isn't a big deal. It will be done at home. The only thing with not running and inverter is that my 12V outlets don't stay on when the car is off. So I would run the inverter straight from the battery. Or would it still make more sense to just connect the fridge that way if needed?

4x4junkie

Explorer
You should install a couple aux power sockets someplace convenient that are wired straight to your battery, then plug your fridge, chargers, etc. in there.
You usually don't want to run a fridge off your car's factory cig lighter socket anyway, many sockets are wired with something like #16 or #18 AWG wire, the voltage drop from which causes the fridge to consume more energy, if it even runs at all. Use #10 for your aux sockets.

unseenone

Explorer
Consider something along these lines for your fridges and accessories, with the separate power runs as 4x4junkie mentioned. Pictured below are two marine power plugs and an Anderson power bar, with 2 usb plugs on it. I hope this helps.

P1020997-s.JPG

mattafact

Adventurer
I've had about 6-7 of the Die Hard Platinums in various vehicles (Group 31 and 34) and they all died at about the 2 year mark. Sears will replace them but their customer service sucks and I've had days where I had to go back 4-5 times to get my battery replaced. When they do work they are great (ran my fridge for 3 days in Baja without starting the truck) but my next battery will likely be a Deka or something easily exchanged. For the price I paid I don't want to be hassled.

Just my $.02.

sfsmedic

Adventurer
On the die hard agm batteries are they all deep cycle or just the marine batteries? If they all are then what is the difference between the auto agm and the marine agm batteries? I am trying to figure out what battery to get for my house battery in my truck and so far the only thing I seem to go on is I want deep cycle and high ah.

Brett C.
IronworksTactical.com - owner

Stroverlander

Adventurer
All Diehard Platinum AGM batteries are re-branded Odyssey batteries and a few other threads on here mention that both auto and marine versions are the same other than labeling and terminal configuration. I contacted Odyssey and received the same info, hope this helps.

sfsmedic

Adventurer
It does thanks stroverlander. Ended up picking up a group 34 marine from sears today. They were on sale so cheaper than the auto version. But like you said the odyssey site says they are both starting and deep cycle batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
I thought I recall reading that the warrantee was one year longer on the auto vice marine Sears platinum ??

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
The DHP marine battery version will have both traditional automotive posts, as well as threaded studs to easily accept ring terminals. There are no internal differences in internal construction, except to accommodate the extra output terminal.

The warranty might be less on a marine version too as it is more likely to be abused.

AGM batteries generally are more of a dual purpose battery as even if designed for deep cycle applications they will still have high CCA ratings due to the lower internal resistance.

Flooded starting batteries are not going to come with threaded posts and cannot handle deep discharges as they are not designed for it.

I do believe some flooded "marine" batteries have no internal differences other than the addition of threaded posts, and a 30$ sticker.

Wally world batteries top my list of suspected starting batteries passed off as marine batteries.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Great deal alert 20% Diehard Platinum AGM!

Sears Diehard Platinum AGM (Odyssey) online sale today: 20% off, $183.99 and promo code SEARS5OFF50 saves an extra $5. Order online and pickup in store.

For some reason they make them hard to find on their site when they are at this price:

Group 34/78
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-automotive-battery-group-size-34-78dt-price/p-02851090000P

Group 65
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-automotive-battery-group-size-65-price/p-02851065000P

Group 35
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-automotive-battery-group-size-35-price/p-02851035000P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles