Thinking about buying a discovery. What's gives?

NYCRover

Observer
I drive a 97 Disco daily and wouldn't have it any other way. But I may have second thoughts about letting my wife drive my truck as a DD.

Like others have said before, the major issues really come down to previous owner and staying current with proper maitenence intervals. The reason for having second thoughts for having my wife drive it are the little things. I'm not overly confident in my wife's ability to not panic when "sticky ignition key" happens, when the abs system decides to have its quirky days, or if random lights and other things don't function properly. I'm confident the truck won't leave her stranded, but it takes a certain level of mental fortitude to drive these trucks along with proper expectations of a 15+ year old truck.

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
Every vehicle has its problems.
Land Rovers problems are well known and documented, so there will always be someone who has experienced it and solved it.
Owning a Land Rover gives you instant access to one of the best motoring communities there is.

Every vehicle has its problems.
Land Rovers problems are well known and documented, so there will always be someone who has experienced it and solved it.
Owning a Land Rover gives you instant access to one of the best motoring communities there is.

This is absolutely true. You can find a repair or workaround for anything on one of the Land Rover forums. That is the upside. What I was trying to say earlier was that reading the forums can make you think they're all lemons when they're not. The problems are discussed and worked out in the forums.

Rubicon John

Observer
This is absolutely true. You can find a repair or workaround for anything on one of the Land Rover forums. That is the upside. What I was trying to say earlier was that reading the forums can make you think they're all lemons when they're not. The problems are discussed and worked out in the forums.

True! That's one thing about the Internet, those with the problems (whether it's vehicles, health related, or whatever topic you choose) are the most vocal (and they may reflect a very small sampling or percentage of that topic's universe), while the rest of the world goes about happily without posting their positive experiences with the noted topics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior