TerraLiner:12 m Globally Mobile Beach House/Class-A Crossover w 6x6 Hybrid Drivetrain

Amphibeast

Adventurer
oops.... I double pic posted! I'm such a virgin to all this web stuff! Where is a 9 year old to do this when ya need one....

Real pic:
IMG_3967.jpg
IMG_1635.jpg

Last pic here shows the hull & belly area under the cargo deck. The deck surface is actually removed so we can give it love from above. The deck when attached is water/air tight so you can actually flood the bed and launch watercraft by dropping the tailgate. The area below is about 18" in depth, 52" wide, cross members every 24" or so while having the side frame integrated into the hull corners running the length of the vehicle. Some floatation foam will b added to the outer sides to fill voids and keep out any possible areas for water in case of flood. This will also add rigidity.
Bilge pumps under the deck in all 4 corners, addition bilge above deck, water tight hatches the entire length for service & storage.
In addition for hull strength, under every pumpkin there is a 1/4 thick forged aluminum belly pan. This ties directly into the independent suspension mounting points cantaleivering to the other set of A-arms on opposite side. Since the axles do not move, they bolt into the hull, thus more frame integration.

I never really cross examined the design but every part here really supports the "frame" to create an entire rigid foundation/hull/frame combination!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Nice to see some pics - are all of the suspensions identical? That is the steering wheel suspension and the non-steering wheels? Seems like that would be the way to go.

Thanks

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Correct. All A-arm set ups are identical.. front is the rear, rear is the front, L is R….. The front 4 wheels turn & the rear four are locked in position. I actually could do a rear hydraulic steer if I wanted to…. The design was to keep the parts to a minimum and interchange if needed to always have a rolling fleet of parts to pull & use where ever needed. The vehicle can still operate with only 3 of the 8 wheels operational if spaced out correctly…..

biotect

Designer
Good pics, Amphibeast, and nice detailed thoughts about total rigid fame integration, and redundancy through replication.

How would you describe the suspension, aside from being independent? What kind of shock absorption does your vehicle have (coil, leaf, air-bag, etc.?).

For those who want to do a bit of background reading, just came across an excellent summary of all possible suspension types and combinations at http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html , http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_pg2.html , http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_pg3.html , http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_pg4.html , and http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_pg5.html .

All best wishes,

Biotect

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like it has conventional shocks (just short and reverse operating - they get longer when suspension is compressed) but I can't make out where the springs are? Perhaps its a transverse leaf spring under or over the differential - that is what the MB Sprinters use in the front and its very compact and works well. Or perhaps its torsion bars on the upper pivot that are located longitudinal - similar to chevy trucks?

Did you every find any source for the CV boots? You might post some dimensions as I know a couple of unusual vehicles which use ones which look very similar that I can easily check...

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Yup…torsion bars on all A-Arms…under over configuration to get them all in. They ride forward at an angle so they can "stack"… I thought about adding air bags later depending how it rides upon completion. Dual shocks per A-Arm as well… Real short shocks… These are a hard find as well, stubby little buggers!

CV boots are still a pain to find (or bellows) as they don't rotate. 3" ID on small end, 6.75" on the big end…. 3 rolls, accordion about 3" tall… x 16

Steering boot is 3" ID on bigger end w/ 90 degree 1" flange…. accordion out 6" to 1.5" to steering shaft x 1

I will pay a reward for the best internet hunter to find me these parts… grease, salt water, mud proof preferred!

A may have to tool a mold & have DAYSTAR in Phoenix, Az make them, ouch $$$$$….. But prefer to check every source out there first…..

I will post a pic of parts w/ more specific DIMs on here soon!

campo

Adventurer
@ Amphibeast
Thank you for this very interesting information and drawings.
Today, almost 50 years later it must be possible to optimize these principles in order to get even more
ground clearance and spring capacity for a heavy vehicle.

I like this independent suspension principle that I also suggest for the Terraliner.
Main advantages that I see are
- best comfort with real independent wheels
- best traction with independent wheels
- a lot lower weight than a straight axle
- higher spring capacity possible
- maximum ground clearance possible
- high positioned central differential possible
- independent E-engines or Hydraulic drive possible
- adaptation of spring coils or air suspension possible
- high position torsion bar or replaced by electronic or hydraulic torsion device

Regards Campo

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Actually we are closer to 60 years as the project started in 56! Most of these designs were never used until the 80's

I have looked at portal axles (hubs) as well but the down side is more drag in the water and I alter the original design. If I ever sell it I think that would be a concern to a collector.

However, I do have a entire second set of A-arms if I ever have a ton of cash I could build a set w/ portals & CTIS- cool factor as disc brakes are in the hull and not at the hub!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Actually we are closer to 60 years as the project started in 56! Most of these designs were never used until the 80's

I have looked at portal axles (hubs) as well but the down side is more drag in the water and I alter the original design. If I ever sell it I think that would be a concern to a collector.

However, I do have a entire second set of A-arms if I ever have a ton of cash I could build a set w/ portals & CTIS- cool factor as disc brakes are in the hull and not at the hub!

Hummer portal boxes would probably be a fairly easy fit into your suspension - except they require the diffs to spin in reverse direction from the normal direction - so that would add some complexity.

For a amphibious vehicle with a flat skid body like you have I don't think they are necessary - the advantage of taller floatation tires would probably work better and would give similar clearance.

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Hummer portal boxes would probably be a fairly easy fit into your suspension - except they require the diffs to spin in reverse direction from the normal direction - so that would add some complexity.

For a amphibious vehicle with a flat skid body like you have I don't think they are necessary - the advantage of taller floatation tires would probably work better and would give similar clearance.

Agreed. There are aftermarket portals that would work but very expensive… About $10K before mods… I'll put that into new floatation/Iroks… very few 40-42" tire options for the 18" original aluminum rims but trying to fab new rims for other combinations is also costly in addition to going to steel…. I'd rather stay aluminum!

Chuckles!

Observer
Other heavy truck independent suspension technology

I have not read all 134 pages of this massive thread, but I thought I'd post some more independent suspension designs that I've found in my searches:

The Indonesian Army has come up with some 5-ton vehicles that run front and rear independent suspension systems. It's built on a Steyr platform, or at least the cab and engine look similar. After the transfer case, it goes to their engineered suspension/axle systems. So aside from the cab tilt needed for engine access, I think you can build an integrated camper on this chassis.

Pics:

1307.jpg

1_ISS_Maesa_PT44_Back.jpg

1030.jpg

1310.jpg

1336.jpg

Videos:

campo

Adventurer
Hello Chuckles
Thanks for posting this indonesian PT44 information :26_7_2:
I agree that this is the way to go.
Where can we find the specs of this Indonesian, does it still exist and was it only built for the local army ?

regards Campo

Chuckles!

Observer
Campo,

I will add some more specs and corrections from my earlier post.

- They might be 2.5-ton trucks instead of 5-ton
- The engine is Steyr WD612 turbo diesel 6-cyl, 195 hp, 640 Nm
- The transmission is ZF 5-spd manual, permanent 4x4 and unsure if T-case has reduction gear
- The cab is Leyland DAF
- Tires are 335/80R20 XZL Michelin
- Suspension travel is approximately 250-300mm

Suspension and differentials are in-house engineering, from PT Pacific Technology. pacifictec.net is no longer functional website. I can only find a facebook page with little information. The Chairman/Engineering Director are also featured in an Indonesian news report on YouTube. I think a trip to Jakarta and a Bahasa translator would be required to find real sources of parts and trucks.

The trucks were being tested in 2005, so they are certainly in production by now (if the military purchased a contract). Not sure how many would be available on the open market. If anyone finds one, I want one!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior