Self install ARB Bullbar on new Tacoma?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
2006 Tacoma: Having the OME suspension shop-installed but they want $400 to install the front bumper. Having easily done this job On three land cruisers I'm thinking it should be a piece of cake once again - BUT then again for $400 there might be grinding, special tools etc required.

Anyone done this? Anything I should consider preinstall?

as always, thanks!

voodoojk

Adventurer
Fairly easy on a tacoma. I didn't need to cut or grind anything. Just have an extra hand when it comes to lifting it in place and fine tuning the gaps

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It is straightforward but with a winch and lights could hit a 4-5 man-hour job thus the price assuming they have a ~$85/hr shop rate. That said sans winch/lights it could be done in a couple hours including drilling the pinning bolts, turn-sig wiring, etc. No special tools or process, literally bolt on, drill pinning holes and finish bolting up.

Sempertoy

Explorer
2006 Tacoma: Having the OME suspension shop-installed but they want $400 to install the front bumper. Having easily done this job On three land cruisers I'm thinking it should be a piece of cake once again - BUT then again for $400 there might be grinding, special tools etc required.

Anyone done this? Anything I should consider preinstall?

as always, thanks!

I missed the point where you sold your 80. How long have you been in a taco? I look forward to seeing what you do with it, your 80 was very clean.

dms1

Explorer
If you have or can borrow an engine lift, that helps a lot. I can install \ remove my ARB bumper with winch with just the help of my wife and the engine lift. The wife just adjust the jack on the engine lift while I move it into position and bolt it up.

Clutch

<---Pass
It is easy, did mine myself. I dunno, I didn't think it was that heavy (without the winch), I bolted the "horns" on first, then slid the bumper over them. Didn't use a hoist or jack.

Ramjet

Explorer
If your also installing a winch, you can use a floor jack with some plywood on top o the jack to lift it into place. Or you can bribe your brother in law with beer like I did. Only took about 20 mins and he left happy.

kai38

Explorer
Easy job to do, I did mine in the garage, you'll need a 2nd set of hands when you put the bumper on to the sub-frame.
Go through the parts list and separate all the hardware for each step of the installation.
Not sure on a '06 if its the same as on a '13 but the hardest part was timing the stock bumper to make sure it fills in the gap below the grill

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I was just looking at the instructions online. It says to tie up the forward portion of the fender liner with zip ties then never address that again. Is this the final answer? Surly not...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne