Is this my new LX470?

Mo4130

Adventurer
Damn, no matter how you cut it, you paid over 30 grand for a 7 year old truck with 80k miles!! I picked up my brand new fronty pro4 lux in 2011 for 23k out the door, I mean I guess if you're good with that......

p nut

butter
Damn, no matter how you cut it, you paid over 30 grand for a 7 year old truck with 80k miles!! I picked up my brand new fronty pro4 lux in 2011 for 23k out the door, I mean I guess if you're good with that......

You could also have picked up a truck few years older for several grand less than that. What you paid for a V6, 2-door midsize truck has no relevance to the flagship Lexus model's market value.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Flagship or not. My truck has 4 doors for what it's worth. Either way. Good Luck with the build!

p nut

butter
Flagship or not. My truck has 4 doors for what it's worth. Either way. Good Luck with the build!

basic_supply_demand.png

Apparently, the market values a 7 year old Toyota higher than a brand new Nissan.

keith.motte.1

The quest continues, I made a detour on the way to visit my brother-in-law to take a look at my latest 100 series candidate. A 05 lX470 marked down to $22,495 w/103K miles. Man what a hi low, I had expected the lax with trash bumpers, the online picture looked like all four comers of the bumper had road rash but, when I got to the dealer the bumpers were fine. The cosmetic condition of the LX was 10x better than I thought.

Now here comes the low, in the process of checking all the systems everything worked fine with the exception of two things, the passenger mirrors didn't move in and out and it appears that the AHC didn't work, neither The salesman nor I could get the LX to move up or down, even though the indication worked. I didn't hear and any noise that would indicate the pump was working. Remember I never operated AHC before and have nothing to compare it against.

So the wife asked to find out if the dealership would do anything and told them to call me and we left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CYK

Adventurer
I was willing to pay a premium for a well-maintained, fully documented and thoroughly checked former CPO vehicle. Paid $32k for an '07 with 82k miles a few months ago.

I know many will say that I overpaid and they're welcome to say that; for my money I got exactly what I wanted.

Bottom line is that the longer you look, the better you will learn precisely what you are looking for and the more easily you will recognize it when you see it -- even though you may not get the best deal in the world for it.

Oh, and nice color.

i-DHsCMLZ-XL.jpg

I pick up what you're laying down. Your standards for a "mint" conditioned car may be another man's "don't buy" just like 9 out of 10 gfs or wives I run into don't meet my standards for a life-long monogamous commitment.

I'd gladly pay X% more for a truly "mint" conditioned car and I'm super anal about this stuff. Immaculate is new from factory in my books.

Nice LX, sir.

kman62

Observer
The quest continues, I made a detour on the way to visit my brother-in-law to take a look at my latest 100 series candidate. A 05 lX470 marked down to $22,495 w/103K miles. Man what a hi low, I had expected the LX to have trashed bumpers. The online picture looked like all four corners of the bumper had road rash but, when I got to the dealer the bumpers were fine. The cosmetic condition of the LX was 10x better than I thought.

Now here comes the low, in the process of checking all the systems everything worked fine with the exception of two things, the passenger mirrors didn't move in and out and it appears that the AHC didn't work, neither The salesman nor I could get the LX to move up or down, even though the indicator worked. I didn't hear any noise that would indicate the pump was working. Remember I never operated AHC before and have nothing to compare it with. I looked at the fluid levels of the AHC fluid and it was between the Min and Max level.I couldn't make out the color of the AHC fluid. I looked on the ground where the LX was parked and saw no evidence of any leaking.

So the wife asked to find out if the dealership would do anything to fix the issue. We asked the salesman to find out and give me a call.

I just found this on IH8MUD, in the "Definitive list of AHC maintenance items" thread

"AHC height test.
Put vehicle in LOW. Mark fluid level in AHC reservoir.
Put vehicle in HIGH.
Number of graduations (ticks) on the reservoir from LO to HI should be at least 7. If less, your globes are shot and it's very expensive to replace. "

I'll read more and wait on response from the community and make another trip to the dealership this week.

Last edited:

keith.motte.1

[I think I made a rookie mistake while testing AHC test. I think doing AHC test there's a possibility that the rear right passenger door was open.

QUOTE=kman62;1569492]The quest continues, I made a detour on the way to visit my brother-in-law to take a look at my latest 100 series candidate. A 05 lX470 marked down to $22,495 w/103K miles. Man what a hi low, I had expected the LX to have trashed bumpers. The online picture looked like all four corners of the bumper had road rash but, when I got to the dealer the bumpers were fine. The cosmetic condition of the LX was 10x better than I thought.

Now here comes the low, in the process of checking all the systems everything worked fine with the exception of two things, the passenger mirrors didn't move in and out and it appears that the AHC didn't work, neither The salesman nor I could get the LX to move up or down, even though the indicator worked. I didn't hear any noise that would indicate the pump was working. Remember I never operated AHC before and have nothing to compare it with. I looked at the fluid levels of the AHC fluid and it was between the Min and Max level.I couldn't make out the color of the AHC fluid. I looked on the ground where the LX was parked and saw no evidence of any leaking.

So the wife asked to find out if the dealership would do anything to fix the issue. We asked the salesman to find out and give me a call.

I just found this on IH8MUD, in the "Definitive list of AHC maintenance items" thread

"AHC height test.
Put vehicle in LOW. Mark fluid level in AHC reservoir.
Put vehicle in HIGH.
Number of graduations (ticks) on the reservoir from LO to HI should be at least 7. If less, your globes are shot and it's very expensive to replace. "

I'll read more and wait on response from the community and make another trip to the dealership this week.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zimm

Expedition Leader
you WILL see the ahc work

if its a sensor issue, it will sit visibly "odd". like its stink bugging or the opposite.

if its a bad ball diaphram, it will ride hard. it wont sit off kilter, but if you go over a wavy surface, it will jounce and rebound odd, as one hydraulic spring is essentially solid. little to no play.

if its the pump, something should be flashing on the dash, because the truck is trying to level itself and nothing is happening.

if its not working, and nothing is happening, i would suspect the system was shut off and fuses pulled. skulduggery. run. run fast. run far.

find one that is out of your price range but working to test drive and see how things are supposed to work, so you know what youre looking for.

never ask a dealership to fix an issue with a car on the lot. they have a net profit they want/need from that unit, and they arnt going to fix it the "right" way over the "cheap" way, knowing you havent a clue as to the difference. just walk away. the salesman isnt your friend. he represents the owners interest.

Last edited:

kman62

Observer
Thanks for the information. So an open door would not have an impact on AHC operations? I have move on looking and I'm for another vehicle... So far I've only test drove a LC100. I'll try to test drive a LX this week.

you WILL see the ahc work

if its a sensor issue, it will sit visibly "odd". like its stink bugging or the opposite.

if its a bad ball diaphram, it will ride hard. it wont sit off kilter, but if you go over a wavy surface, it will jounce and rebound odd, as one hydraulic spring is essentially solid. little to no play.

if its the pump, something should be flashing on the dash, because the truck is trying to level itself and nothing is happening.

if its not working, and nothing is happening, i would suspect the system was shut off and fuses pulled. skulduggery. run. run fast. run far.

find one that is out of your price range but working to test drive and see how things are supposed to work, so you know what youre looking for.

never ask a dealership to fix an issue with a car on the lot. they have a net profit they want/need from that unit, and they arnt going to fix it the "right" way over the "cheap" way, knowing you havent a clue as to the difference. just walk away. the salesman isnt your friend. he represents the owners interest.

sethro80

Adventurer
I just bought a GX470, I think it will make a killer Overlanding truck. Will have a ton of stuff done before the Overland Expo this May. Am so excited to do some traveling in it.

I will be removing the KDSS, rear airbags, roof rack, running boards, both bumpers to make room for the new stuff.

Seth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94