Hobie FJ80

hobie

this thread needs more pics. i am still in clean up mode. getting body ready for paint. the mirror was busted so got a new one. i filled all the holes left by the flares. both rockers are smashed and the rear hatch is dented. 3 of the corners have big dents in them. i will start pulling those dents out next week :coffee:

i have rust on my rear hatch door. i cant get to all the rust unless i take out the rear glass. yeah! another project. i have never taken out glass before.:Wow1:

Attachments

• image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 241
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 242
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 241
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 242
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 241

kman62

Observer
Congratulations, I remember watching the show a couple of times. Especially the episode that had the race between to Jeep and the pickup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hobie

Congratulations, I remember watching the show a couple of times. Especially the episode that had the race between to Jeep and the pickup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when i was watching that video, i remember thinking, "the 80 will win easy", lol. little did i know i would be owning that exact rig later lol

i also ordered 3/8" 80' of winch rope from this place:

http://www.billet4x4.com/

it was the first time i have used them or their ropes. i got it off amazon for 230 bucks. it was way cheaper than other brands so we will see if it holds up i guess.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Nice you bought Freds "Cheap Truck" 80 huh... That's awesome. Look forward to seeing what more you do to it. And yes, the FF was swapped in.

Cheers

Dave

hobie

Nice you bought Freds "Cheap Truck" 80 huh... That's awesome. Look forward to seeing what more you do to it. And yes, the FF was swapped in.

Cheers

Dave

ya i got a few mods coming up. but nothing huge as most of the drivetrain is done.

the biggest thing coming up is motor/tranny. 1st gear makes a nice metalic bearing noise and shifts hard. the motor has 276k miles on it. i just need it to last another year then i am will swap in something else. i just got to research and see what will fit in easy and run cool.

hobie

so sad to paint it but its gotta to be done. its just easiest to paint it back to the og color. got all the body work done. i am going to have them paint above the tape. :)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 271
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 271
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 271
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 270

96Delica

Adventurer
I was just reading up about these and saw this build on their website, very nice!! How's the milage on this beast? Is it your daily driver? I've been offered one as a trade on my Delica...

hobie

securedownload.jpg
I was just reading up about these and saw this build on their website, very nice!! How's the milage on this beast? Is it your daily driver? I've been offered one as a trade on my Delica...

its about 12mpg on the highway. i try no to look, lol. na this is not my daily driver but i am working on it like it could be. just trying to make it reliable as possible and also off road capable so i can confidently drive to the rubicon and run it and drive home.

i am not familar with delica but i am a toy fan so a land cruiser was natural for me. but also, here in the states, its also the most capable rig you can buy for you money hands down so it was a no brainer. i have been wanting one for years.

i just got it out of the paint shop yesterday. then i monstlinered it last night.

dcoy

Adventurer
I keep on expecting to see this on this thread:

th

AKayl

Observer
What tires/size are those? Amazing transformation, I just watched the cheap truck challenge featuring this 80 a couple of days ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz