Hobie FJ80

hobie

well its my turn to start a thread. i been looking and wanting a rig for years now and it finally happened. i am so excited to be able to have a thread about it too. i been jealous of you guys for so long reading all of your threads. i been stuck in the buggy world for the last 10 years and i been wanting a rig that i can drive to the rubicon and then drive home. no more trailers. the main goal of the rig, is to get to cool places and camp and if need be, do some light wheeling. i have rubicon, dusy, mojave, and fordyce trips all planned for this fall.

so today i bought a 1994 FJ80. i bought it from a friend of mine, Fred. if you read petersons 4x4, my fj is in the may issue. its also been in many episodes of "dirt everyday". heres a couple of examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnAHIH4p5Vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a9tj3nTfOs

http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/1310-1994-toyota-land-cruiser-low-buck-cheap-truck-challenge-2013/

the current drive train configuration is:

stock motor/tranny
marlin gear 3:1 gear set
chromo axles front and rear.
full floater conversion.
arbs front and rear
ome lift and shocks
warn 8k winch
maxxis treps 35"
stock wheels

it has 275k miles on it and it still runs great. it needs some TLC to make it look clean or just leave it rough. i like clean so i plan on repairing a few dents and fix the holes where the fender flares were. and paint the whole thing one color. the same color as the sides and take off all the stickers as they are peeling anyways.
it needs a new rear top door as the one now i dented bad and looks bad. anyone know where to get one?

after i get paint done:
i plan on building a new front and rear bumper and sliders and attaching a tube next to fenders attached to bumper and slider for fender protection

headliner needs re done too. so i plan on building a int roll cage at the b and c pillar.

i need to re route the cat and exhaust. if anyone has any pics on how they did that i would appreciate it?

i need to replace carpet as they stink from sun roof leaking for years

i am pretty sure the seats stink too so i am gonna install suspension seats for a way better ride than those crappy stock seats.

i need a new radiator and plus i am going to replace all the hoses and belts. anything that is from 1994 needs to be looked at or replaced.

the a/c doesnt work. the seller didnt know anything about it. it just doesnt blow cold is all he knows.

need new pass side rear view mirror

once all that is done, i figure i can play with roof racks and lights and storage..all the fun stuff. but the list above is all priority. if anyone has an advice or ideas on any of those items, let me know, i would appreciate it.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Did your FZJ80 not have the factory full-float rear axle? When you say 'full floater conversion' was it a swapped axle or a kit for the semi-float? Kinda cool either way.

Congrats on the new rig and welcome to the Cruiser realm!

hobie

Did your FZJ80 not have the factory full-float rear axle? When you say 'full floater conversion' was it a swapped axle or a kit for the semi-float? Kinda cool either way.

good question. this is the problem when you buy a built rig, lol. now that i think about it, i believe he said it was a swap.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
good question. this is the problem when you buy a built rig, lol. now that i think about it, i believe he said it was a swap.

Right on. There were some early 94's that still had the semi-float rear axle and a full-float is a worthwhile upgrade. Obviously you can swap the FF from a later 80 Series but you might have an actual conversion. A few different companies have made them for LC axles over the years, pretty sure Ruff Stuff still does? Easy way to tell, do you have a removable rear diff cover or a solid welded axle housing?

hobie

Right on. There were some early 94's that still had the semi-float rear axle and a full-float is a worthwhile upgrade. Obviously you can swap the FF from a later 80 Series but you might have an actual conversion. A few different companies have made them for LC axles over the years, pretty sure Ruff Stuff still does? Easy way to tell, do you have a removable rear diff cover or a solid welded axle housing?

no its a replacement axle from a later 80. i think he did an episode of dirt everyday about it. but i cant find it on youtube to find out the details.

Upland80

Adventurer
Enjoyed the videos (looked like Cleghorn trail by Silverwood lake?)...I'm surprised you didn't go with an Aussie locker in the rear but I guess the Warn solves that issue. The cassette tape you failed to extract could only be Cheap Trick! :costumed-smiley-007

hobie

Enjoyed the videos (looked like Cleghorn trail by Silverwood lake?)...I'm surprised you didn't go with an Aussie locker in the rear but I guess the Warn solves that issue. The cassette tape you failed to extract could only be Cheap Trick! :costumed-smiley-007

i am pretty sure they shot those vids up by santa margarita. but dont quote me. i am an arb fan so i am glad he had arbs installed.

hobie

3 things:

1. does anyone know a good place to get a rear top hatch door in socal? i found one at spectre in chattsworth for 250, but it had no hardware or glass in it.

2. i need a radiator. i can get a stock replacement i know. but is there a model that is better that fits in stock location that everyone is using? i have no experience with this motor. does this motor like to overheat? does the stock radiator work well or should i be looking to upgrade?

3. the carpet needs to be replaced. i found a carpet kit off of rockauto for 350 bucks. has anyone else done this and have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Upland80

Adventurer
Not sure about the door. The OEM brass radiator that is original to your 1994 is very good, but most replace with an aluminum. The 1fz-fe motor runs pretty hot and anything you can do to keep it cool is beneficial. Call Onur Azuri at Nalley Toyota in Georgia. He can answer all your questions and source just about anything you need.

hobie

Looks good, tell Fred congrats on the new title at the mag. Look forward to seeming this rig get used.

i will.

so this thread needs some pics. what does everyone think about these belts. should i continue to run them?:Wow1:

Attachments

• belts.jpg
    belts.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 32

sleeoffroad

Adventurer

This was one of those rare ones. We gave Fred a full floater housing to change it when he did the show.

Christo Slee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles