Adequate alternator size

pier1234

Hello,

I want to change my alternator that is too small. What do you consider the adequate amp. for my Unimog truck

-- 24 volt
-- 2X165 amp camper batteries and 2X70 amp. truck batteries
-- 40 amp Victron charger
-- 80 amp 24volt Sterling alternator to battery charger

Thanks for your comments

Pierre

Joe917

Explorer
There is no simple answer here, but I will get things rolling and hopefully those with a bit more knowledge will chime in.
What makes you think the alternator is too small? Mogs and MB trucks usually come with a large alternator. Could other electrical issues be the problem?
What is the charge acceptance of your camper batteries? The truck batteries will come back to full charge very quickly after a start (assuming full charge before starting) so the charge profile of the camper batteries is the limiting factor. AGMs will accept a massive amperage in the bulk phase of the charge.
Are you supplementing your charging regime with solar. This is highly recommended as it can eliminate engine running to solely charge batteries.
What is your typical vehicle use? Amp/hrs used between charges? Hrs driven on an average daily use?
I would also recommend ( if you do not have one already) an amp hr battery meter on the house battery bank. It is the best way to keep track of state of charge. Forget about using a voltmeter.
You may also want to try the Unimog and MB truck thread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior