Would you put a locker in ....

rodi

Observer
For those mentioning a true-trac in the front and locker in the rear, why wouldn't you do it the other way around? True-Trac in the rear with a selectable in the front.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, gotta try and throw some lame humor into this serious subject !

HA! I promise I have no mall crawler....And I did laugh out loud to STUCKER...that is soooooo true!

Donny

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: well, some have doneit both ways and swear by their setup, I wouldn't have a 4x4 without both lockers and I've hadda bunch !

For those mentioning a true-trac in the front and locker in the rear, why wouldn't you do it the other way around? True-Trac in the rear with a selectable in the front.

One of the advantages of the rear locker, is many times an obstacle can be transversed easily in 2wd with a rear locker (hills/shale/sand)--

Logically, when on an angle the vehicle weight tends to load the rearend, so traction improves and being locked cinchsit !

There have been times when I've crossed a narrow trough/w water and needed the front tires (both), to pull me up, now granted that kinda situation is pretty rare, but when it happens----I'm not worried !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am going to a 4.10 gear ratio, with tru tracs front and rear on my 2011. just a little bump in gearing for my 33;s.

tweenerlj

Adventurer

My preference is so that the street driving doesn't change from stock. 2WD, selectable in the rear disengaged the Jeep will drive like stock. I never knew how much of an effect a helical gear limited slip had on on-road driving characteristics until I replaced mine with a selectable locker. Any mod has it's drawbacks and it is ultimately up to individual preference when weighing options.

rodi

Observer
My preference is so that the street driving doesn't change from stock. 2WD, selectable in the rear disengaged the Jeep will drive like stock. I never knew how much of an effect a helical gear limited slip had on on-road driving characteristics until I replaced mine with a selectable locker. Any mod has it's drawbacks and it is ultimately up to individual preference when weighing options.

Thanks. I'm trying to gather options to weigh. ;)
So the gear-driven LSD on-road will be vastly different from the stock clutch-driven LSD? Wouldn't adding said gear-driven LSD to an open front diff vastly change on-road street driving?

GFA

Adventurer
So the gear-driven LSD on-road will be vastly different from the stock clutch-driven LSD? Wouldn't adding said gear-driven LSD to an open front diff vastly change on-road street driving?

I noticed no difference in street characteristics after adding a true trac to the rear. With 5.13's and 33's I can leave 2 equal length black marks if I desire though... It's awesome in snow too.

I left the front open as it's a D30 and I drive in snow frequently. There's nothing worse than turning the wheel in snow but still moving straight ahead which is what happens with a front LSD or locker. I wasn't about to drop the coin for a selectable up front either as I don't need a fully locked D30 front. If it were a 44 I might've splurged but then again it would be locked already as it would be a rubicon

tweenerlj

Adventurer
So the gear-driven LSD on-road will be vastly different from the stock clutch-driven LSD?

So, let me explain my experience. When I built my LJ, I did suspension, 35" tires, 4.88 gears and Detroit Electrac selectable lockers (now discontinued) all at once replacing the factory limited slip. The Electrac is a helical-gear limited slip when not engageed, just like the truetrac. I still have one in my front D44. Anyway, after doing all of this, I didn't notice anything that I would have pointed to the differential for. Fast forward 7 years and the rear locker broke. Loved my Electrac, but it is no longer supported since Eaton bought out Detroit and already had a selectable locker. So I replaced it with an eaton e-locker and I swear that the LJ is just as smooth as the day that I had bought it new. The LSD must have added some torque steer and some adverse handling traits when turning corners and such on pavement because all of that is now gone with the E-locker which is open when disengaged.

Wouldn't adding said gear-driven LSD to an open front diff vastly change on-road street driving?

No, because the front end does not see any load from the drivetrain when in 2WD. Gear separation forces when a wheel encounters a loss of traction is needed for the truetrac to activate. With no load, it operates as a standard or open differential, allowing one wheel to spin faster or slower as necessary.

JTM

You've got a 30 and 44, just lock them and relax.

Wouldn't adding said gear-driven LSD to an open front diff vastly change on-road street driving?

No, it won't. If you LSD is installed correctly it will spin freely while in 2 Hi driving down the road with no affect on handling. The same goes for mechanical lockers in the front axle, no effect until you engage the transfer case.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
what about a tru trac in front with 4wd activated on snowy roads? will the front want to push then or will it de couple and go around the turns?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
what about a tru trac in front with 4wd activated on snowy roads? will the front want to push then or will it de couple and go around the turns?

As long as you are not mashing the throttle to create wheel spin it will act just like a normal open front differential.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As for the OP's question, I run a True-Trac in my rear 44 with chro-moly shafts and open in the front hp30, but will be adding one to the front as well. With our high traction terrain out here and your more overland type adventures in a rig with lots of wheel travel, you will not need anything more than a True-Trac, they are more forgiving on slickrock than a full locker and require no maintenance.

When the LSD of my XJ crapped out I looked at the internal parts and came to the conclusion that something manually selectable would be a lot nicer.
In fact I'm trying not to get too deep into the mud if avoidable.
I really don't like to be a "Rex Kramer - Danger Seeker"
During this time I was walking along a junkyard and found a 4 banger YJ with an rear ARB locker.
Scored the air compressor for 40 bucks and the diff for 80 bucks- not to shabby for 3 hours of work get them out, huh?
Funny thing is that the overhaul/replacement parts and switches were more expensive than the locker itself.
Since that I even don't to worry about airing tires up again.

Didn't need the locker to often - it is definetly a nice to have item. Having lockers in the front and in the rear? Not necessary for me. I can go through a muddy forest trail with no complains. That's ok for me.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I have had two rubicons and the selectable locker front and rear is awesome. However, for costs sake, in the Cherokee build I detailed here, I put a Spartan "lunchbox" auto locker in the rear. Really not noticeable on the road, you just have to stay off the gas in turns. Incredibly helpful offroad. Mindless operation, simple installation... perfect for me :) If I had kept it, I would have gone to a tru trac up front. Consider driving a locked front end off road before making the decision to put an auto locker in the front. The steering and "handling" if you can call it that at 2mph, is a vastly different animal.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke