Connecting with the Montero

fi.robin

This is my first post. I have been surfing around the forum for a while now for all the cool stuff found here.

I recently got myself a 1998 Montero with Rear Diff lock (I think it is the winter pack). This is my first real offroad worthy vehicle. My previous offroad (softie) vehicle was Skoda Yeti. I love it but unfortunately we don't get these in the States. In the end I settled for my next favourite, Montero. Somehow I have always liked Montero/Pajero. I found the older gen to have better back seats (thigh support). A couple of months ago I took the plunge.

I have played around with a few 4wd systems before but they were all with manual transmissions. I can't find the owner's manual for the Montero, so would like to ask some basic questions on the gear selection for different driving conditions.

There is an overdrive button on the gear lever. Is there a speed range for the functioning of the overdrive mode? Does it work only in D or it is available in the lower 2 and L gears as well? Does it even make sense to have OD in lower gears?

While offroading (4H/4Hlc/4Llc), what should be the appropriate gear, D or the lower gear, especially if the conditions demand 4Llc (I am assuming OD has to be off)? So far I have only used the lower gear for engine braking.

There is a hold button. Under what conditions is it active?

Yesterday I was driving on a steep dirt road. I was in 4H and D (with OD). After sometime I noticed the A/T light come on on the dashboard. I stopped for sometime to let it cool. Turned around, selected L gear for engine braking and returned home. The A/T light didn't glow while coming down on the return trip. It is not glowing even now which makes me think that my gear choices were not correct while going up, and hence the above questions.

Attachments

• CIMG_0492.jpg
    CIMG_0492.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 51

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I would check the level/condition of your AT fluid asap. Most trucks require the fluid to be operating temperature and the truck park on a level spot to check. I would check level, but smell it for a "burnt" smell and rub the fluid between my fingers and feel for grit.... On every AT vehicle I have bought, I have had the fluid changed right away as PM..... good luck!

fi.robin

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I would check the level/condition of your AT fluid asap. Most trucks require the fluid to be operating temperature and the truck park on a level spot to check. I would check level, but smell it for a "burnt" smell and rub the fluid between my fingers and feel for grit.... On every AT vehicle I have bought, I have had the fluid changed right away as PM..... good luck!
Thanks mtnbike28.
The fluid has been replaced recently. Actually I had all the fluids replaced after purchasing it. I'll have it checked again.

Souper

Observer
I'll take a photo of my manual and post for you. Have the same Monty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Souper

Observer
Would it matter if the info is the same either way? Just a thought...

fi.robin

I got the fluid level checked. Was in the required range. The quality also looked fine. There wasn't any error code either. I am thinking it is just my bad choice of gears. Will have to take care of it from next time. Lesson well learnt I would say.

I'll take a photo of my manual and post for you. Have the same Monty.

Thanks Souper. Appreciate the help. Is it the owner's manual or the factory service manual?

Why would he want a picture of your manual? He can download it here http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/
Thanks. I got this some time ago. I have used it for a few things. It is very good. Searching through it is a little pain though. Still getting used to it.

Perfect start for me :).

nckwltn

Explorer
I've had similar experiences in long climbs that aren't particularly difficult, just slow. In D the torque converter seems to be pretty loosely connected to the transfer case... but in L it seems to be pretty well locked together. As an example, in D, drive up to about 15 mph (from a stop) and let off the gas, the RPMs will drop instantly and not with the speed of the engine. However, in L, the engine RPM will drop with speed. Hence why L works so good as an engine break.

Unproven, but the car may not down to 1st gear unless you come to a full stop. Pulling into my steep driveway from a 40mph street, if I go slowly up the driveway I can feel the transmission cut down into 1st gear about half way up the driveway. The RPMs don't change, but instantly the montero is able to easily power up the driveway.

fi.robin

I've had similar experiences in long climbs that aren't particularly difficult, just slow. In D the torque converter seems to be pretty loosely connected to the transfer case... but in L it seems to be pretty well locked together. As an example, in D, drive up to about 15 mph (from a stop) and let off the gas, the RPMs will drop instantly and not with the speed of the engine. However, in L, the engine RPM will drop with speed. Hence why L works so good as an engine break.
Makes sense now :)

fi.robin

It was fun. We were in the forest around Big Bear for almost 6 hours. Most of the driving was simple 2wd. Was in 4H for some bad patches and in 4HLc for once (in the video). There were a couple of creek crossings. We chickened out on the Edison Rd after doing some distance. The rocks were too much and the whole trail was in 'V' shape, and very narrow in places.

fi.robin

This weekend we were at Mauna Kea, Big Island, in a rental 4runner. It had a 4H and a 4L mode. In the rental office we were told to use 4L and low gears while coming down very steep road to avoid frying the brakes. Worked pretty good but then the 4L wasn't locking the CD. There were other places on the Island too which I thought could use 4L and gear 1 for better engine braking.

How can we simulate the condition in our Monty, since our low range actually locks the center diff, and will not be suitable for pavement driving (even on very steep inclines)? The roads I am talking about were mostly paved but very very steep. 4H and lowest gear would still be high enough to require use of constant braking while descending. Our Montys don't have a low range without CDL.

nckwltn

Explorer
I would be surprised if you are running on any paved roads with that much of a grade that you would need to go down to 4L. I agree, putting the shift selector in 1 does provide better engine braking. 4L+1 = best engine braking (short of turning the engine off)

Paved roads + locked diffs are only a problem when the wheels are turning at different rates. This can be caused by tires that are different sizes (even a small amount over a great distance will be bad), or by negotiating corners. If I was on a VERY steep decline, and it was fairly short, I wouldn't hesitate to go to 4L to use engine braking power. Stopping at the bottom to go back to 4H. 4H+1 still provide some good engine braking and will reduce the wear on the pads.

but then again, if the distance you have to travel down hill isn't that far, the brakes probably aren't going to be a problem.

Coming down out of the Inyo Mountains from Cerro Gordo to Keeler, I started to get some brake fade (7000 feet down to 3000 over just a few miles). I think I ended up going to 4L+1. Had it been really bad, I would have just stopped for a spell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles