Solving the gas Crisis - 95 Discovery I

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I know... it's crazy how clean this thing is. Every bolt comes right out(with the exception of the ones I can't reach)

I already have an EGR blanking kit, as well as the silicone hoses. Fuel pump is very slightly advanced

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Let me guess, the extensions were for the driver side bell housing bolts. I had to do the same thing. When the bolt finally let go, the dozen extensions exploded flying all over the shop.

Hope you had fun disconnecting the forward O2 sensors too. Whoever placed the connectors between the bell housing and trans tunnel should be drawn and quartered.

Clean? What's the big deal? Every Disco around here looks like that ;)

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Actually those extensions were for the front drive shaft, but I did have a similar setup for the stupid bellhousing bolts!

Forward 02s were easy because they had been replaced at some point recently, took little effort to unscrew.

No vehicle over 2 years old looks like this in Vermont :)

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
A "little" progress. I was hoping to photograph more of the conversion but honestly my hands were so dirty I was cleaning the camera as much as I was working on the truck...

q3Qo1Cp.jpg

44irlcB.jpg

lztaPiY.jpg

0sbygxN.jpg

pCQ7aMa.jpg

jjstahl3

Explorer
Are the o2 sensors the same on a 95 as a 96? I get intermittent check engine codes from failing o2 sensors? interested in selling them if they are the same 95 vs 96 D1?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
For you guys doing the top bellhousing bolts... the easy way is to remove the rubber engine mounts, lower the engine in the chassis, and get them from the top :)

This goes for D1 and D2

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Are the o2 sensors the same on a 95 as a 96? I get intermittent check engine codes from failing o2 sensors? interested in selling them if they are the same 95 vs 96 D1?

Yes they are, but I tossed them when I took it out.

For you guys doing the top bellhousing bolts... the easy way is to remove the rubber engine mounts, lower the engine in the chassis, and get them from the top :)

This goes for D1 and D2

I eventually figured that out :)

David Harris

Expedition Leader

This goes for D1 and D2

Pretty easy that way but it's even easier to undo the transfer case to frame bolts, lower it and the trans down a bit and get them through the access plate on the trans tunnel inside. If I were doing a complete engine/trans swap like this one that's what I would do.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
But that means you have to take the interior halfway apart... no thanks! The engine mounts have to be undone anyways, so theres no added work. This process was perfected working in a flat rate dealership shop by myself and others... on more than one occasion I was able to go from driving a D2 in the bay, to having the complete engine out on the floor in less than 2 hours :) Sometimes I miss those days, but I usually dont!

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Pretty easy that way but it's even easier to undo the transfer case to frame bolts, lower it and the trans down a bit and get them through the access plate on the trans tunnel inside. If I were doing a complete engine/trans swap like this one that's what I would do.

That's what I did, doesn't add too much time and very worth it.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
If you're changing the whole drivetrain then it does make sense. By the way how did you manage to balance the gearbox on two jack stands??? Clearly your'e talented at more things than just Pokemon

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Haha bit of luck there I'd say... the setup balances very nicely right behind the bellhousing and in front of the t-case brake

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
hahaha

no I shook it back and forth quite a bit to test, if you look at the photo when it's underneath the car they're both at full extended height, on a pallet jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior