Solving the gas Crisis - 95 Discovery I

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Well it's official, I purchased a Discovery I. I guess I didn't cry and bleed enough with my D2. Sold my 04 Volvo S60R so I could go all Rover.

I have plenty of plans for the truck, but since we have to test some Fox shocks here at work I figured that would be the first ordeal.

Major overall plan is to drop the 300Tdi kit I bought in it, for which I have mostly everything I need.

Here's a photo of the truck next to my D2, looks a bit small :)

Cizpb1L.jpg

And the engine...sneak peak...

xvCGF01.jpg

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Here are some photos I took of it, just to give an idea how clean it is....

OPIx8b8.jpg

YZhGrlU.jpg

WmYpirf.jpg

E4aLRdO.jpg

807oNtM.jpg

p7ISnqe.jpg

zayAeBn.jpg

Ndqedgy.jpg

68Bj9RB.jpg

ePCwqwZ.jpg

XdAA6tM.jpg

ri6vXgw.jpg

5cVzBqP.jpg

9ulZtDk.jpg

hvPoqVU.jpg

Ad8yz27.jpg

bnIzToT.jpg

ncEQqnz.jpg

hDJCugo.jpg

RPi7aWN.jpg

XJ06lSQ.jpg

xO8w8Wr.jpg

Drover

Adventurer
Ah, it does exist! The mythical D1!! I thought it was like that girlfriend in Canada you always talk about that I've never met! :)
Very nice , good score!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Bravo! Nice D1 and my favorite year as well. I had one just like it and sold it to my nephew a couple of years ago. Now it's his baby and it's been 100% reliable for him. Looking forward to reading more details on the project.

David

jpc1818

Adventurer
inquiring minds want to know. I have a D1, bought it with less than 20k miles in 2000.
Where did you get the tdi essentials?
Thanks,

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Thanks guys(and Drew!), it was the finest example I could find within a budget.

I sourced the Tdi kit from the company I work for, Rovers North.

pdXDisco

Observer
I'm curious if the truck has a connection to Oregon, or is that just a fancy tire cover? ;)

-Joey (from Oregon)

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Yessir, had it shipped over from Oregon late last year. No salt on the roads where it was so the truck is an excellent example.

Picked it up via one our excellent customers & friends, Ships Mechanical.

Elbee

Adventurer
Nice project. It seems Rovers north is solid company and well run, and also not excessively expensive. If I end up with an old defender, I'm going to do what you are doing.
I have to ask though. Is the title of the the thread a reference to its always sunny Philadelphia? I assume it is not. They have a range rover sport and they solve the gas crisis.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Thanks for the nice words!

And yes, you are correct. Dennis drives a 93 RR Classic during almost every episode, except for the crack one where they're driving a Discovery 1. It's not quite as solid as running the truck off a generator, but I think it'll be a fun project.

Howski

I recently added a 2nd Rover to my garage as well. Once you get green in your blood they become quite addictive. What are your plans for it as far as raising the suspension or fitting larger tires?

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Honestly I'm mixed. I want the truck to be a great driver as my D2 does the trails, but I also want it to be capable of trails at events I travel to for work.

Currently thinking light duty Terrafirma springs front and rear, and will be using Fox shocks.

As for the tires, again I'm mixed. My ideal setup is Defender steel wolf wheels in white with 7.5r16 Michelin XZLs, but as of now I'm not sure they'll fit without cutting.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Once it's done, put the D2 up for sale. Once you start driving the 300 tdi D1, you aren't going to drive the D2 anymore. Just getting in it will feel like it's time to pay taxes or paying a credit card. and once you get used to the tdi purr, you will crave it, always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles