Buy new F350 or restore older 7.3?

HunterMike

Observer
I think my response might be jaded.

y6agyja3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd go new. The new "actually Ford built" diesels seem excellent.
-
That being said, I would do some research on older 6.8L Fords, or even 6.2L gas new Fords as well. They'll drink more, but may be a better choice still for many users.
-
There's a country dealer up here (117 miles south east of me) that allways has really nice rust free 7.3's in stock. Next time I'm working over there I can grab some pics If you want. I have a feeling they specialize in 7.3L sales. Tons of people in that area that need tough trucks, and their Dodges aren't getting it done.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Any decent mechanic will tell you that the worst thing you can do to a truck, especially a diesel truck, is let it sit while only operating periodically.

You are confused. And no they (mechanics) wont.

Not driving a diesel pickup more than occasionally does no harm to the truck at all.
The only detriment is keeping the batteries maintained, which is no different on ANY vehicle, gas or diesel.

What they WILL tell you is that frequent short trips as a daily driver is bad. And again, that goes for any vehicle, but is arguably worse for a diesel due to the mass of the motor, how long it takes to get to operating temp, and how hot and hard they like to be run.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
You are confused. And no they (mechanics) wont.

Not driving a diesel pickup more than occasionally does no harm to the truck at all.
The only detriment is keeping the batteries maintained, which is no different on ANY vehicle, gas or diesel.

What they WILL tell you is that frequent short trips as a daily driver is bad. And again, that goes for any vehicle, but is arguably worse for a diesel due to the mass of the motor, how long it takes to get to operating temp, and how hot and hard they like to be run.

No, not confused at all. Yes, "they" (mechanics) will. Maybe not every one I can find, but the few I have used and trusted pretty much stick to the same rule of thumb. Not your run-of-the-mill car mechanic, but a true diesel mechanic....as in that is ALL they work on. My brother works for CAT and has for 15 years. He is one of the ones who has given me a pretty good education. I owned diesel trucks for the last 20 years and always treated them the same. Yeah, short trips is not great for them, but 45 miles one way twice a day is far froma frequent short trip. It is more than enough to get any diesel up to operating temp.

Again, doesn't really matter. People are going to do what they want. I will continue to idle mine when stopped for less than 15 minutes and drive it daily. I guess it'll die this year with the mega 203k miles it has on it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That answers my next question.

"the few I have used"

and

"my Brother"

Sorry, but you are talking out of your behind. Aside from very small amounts of moisture buildup within the engine and various parts there is nothing detrimental to NOT running a diesel engine.

This moisture buildup is not unique to diesels, and is the primary reason that short trips are detrimental to the life of the motor. The engine needs to get to operating temp to remove the accumulated moisture.

I invite you to prove me wrong.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
That answers my next question.

"the few I have used"

and

"my Brother"

Sorry, but you are talking out of your behind. Aside from very small amounts of moisture buildup within the engine and various parts there is nothing detrimental to NOT running a diesel engine.

This moisture buildup is not unique to diesels, and is the primary reason that short trips are detrimental to the life of the motor. The engine needs to get to operating temp to remove the accumulated moisture.

I invite you to prove me wrong.

Like I have said, I just don't really care. Yes, I am talking out of my behind. Brother or not, someone that has worked on CAT diesel engines for 15 plus years, has some credibility with me. And the "few I have used", which amounts to 4 different diesel mechanics, have educated me the same way. They aren't backyard wrenchers, but ASE certified diesel mechanics with years of experience and knowledge. What should I have said to make you feel good? Neighbor? Grandpa? Dad?

Again, I never promoted short trips. I think I explained that in my last post. But whatever, we can go back and forth all day long. Do what you feel is best for you and feel great about it. that's what I do. Cheers!

Last edited:
I have to disagree here,have you ever noticed how long some equipment (heavy diesel) sits then it is needed operator jumps in uses it for however long then goes right back to sitting. Heck alot of equipment be it farm or construction is seasonal so it sits for half a year anyway.
No, not confused at all. Yes, "they" (mechanics) will. Maybe not every one I can find, but the few I have used and trusted pretty much stick to the same rule of thumb. Not your run-of-the-mill car mechanic, but a true diesel mechanic....as in that is ALL they work on. My brother works for CAT and has for 15 years. He is one of the ones who has given me a pretty good education. I owned diesel trucks for the last 20 years and always treated them the same. Yeah, short trips is not great for them, but 45 miles one way twice a day is far froma frequent short trip. It is more than enough to get any diesel up to operating temp.

Again, doesn't really matter. People are going to do what they want. I will continue to idle mine when stopped for less than 15 minutes and drive it daily. I guess it'll die this year with the mega 203k miles it has on it. :rolleyes:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I have to disagree here,have you ever noticed how long some equipment (heavy diesel) sits then it is needed operator jumps in uses it for however long then goes right back to sitting. Heck alot of equipment be it farm or construction is seasonal so it sits for half a year anyway.

Yep, I have noticed. I grew up on ranches and some of the field trucks for feeding cattle sat for a good deal of time. The hay tractor was used daily but some of the other equipment sat for a good bit, but then got used pretty hard. There was always a saying my grandpa said and that was "go blow the cobwebs out of it cuz its gonna run like it has a lot". This a lot of what my brother deals with. But, I talked to him and his input was that they might sit, but then they get used hard for a fairly long period, and then shut down again. I'll pick his brain some more and see where the thinking comes from. I have noticed my own trucks seem to do much better with frequent use. Again, I am not promoting short, frequent trips, but more use. Like I said before, it isn't a museum piece. Why try to "preserve a truck" that is built to see half a million trouble free miles? Most of us only put 150k on a vehicle on average before we think its done or seen its life when the vehicle is just getting broke in.

wetravel

I have a 99 f250sd with a 7.3 with 80,000 miles in mint condition I got in May of 1998 and figure this truck will die with me.I have a hallmark ute on it and it,s perfect.

Saline

Adventurer
Agreed.

But to add: 6.0L's should not sit for periods of time. The VGT can accumulate oxidation over time and not function properly.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The 6.0 turbos suffer from so many problems it isnt even funny.
You are going to have turbo failure because of coking, failed solenoid, or simply worn components well before it rusts together.

The VGT is yet another reason why a daily driven diesel isnt a great idea. For the exhaust side of the VGT to stay clean and operational, they need to be run, and run hard.

Most all VGT turbo related problems are related to simply not working the motor hard enough.

dave1014

Adventurer
The 6.0 turbo issue comes from people that drive like grandpa. Use the truck like its meant to be used and you wont have any turbo problems.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

blakeape

Adventurer
To the OP, If you have the budget and it would be way less than a new truck. Find the nicest 6.0, V10, even 5.4 truck that suits your needs and bring it here:

http://dieselconversion.com/

I sold them a 12 Valve Cummins that needed a rebuild and the guy that picked it up was driving a Superduty that was originally a V10 6spd manual, now running a healthy, rebuilt, 12 Valve mated to the Ford 6spd trans. The work looked incredible, under the hood was immaculate, and if you get a 6.0 truck you can enjoy the benefits of the newer and stronger 5spd Auto trans too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier