What new Toyota to buy??

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Hmmm. I like driving Trucks. So, I'm fine with you dumping the FJ on a truck. On the other hand, a Tundra will get worse milage and a Tacoma should get better. If you like driving a manual, you have to buy a Tacoma. If it doesn't matter, I'd get the Tundra. Heck of a lot more truck and the fuel milage isn't that much worse than a Tacoma. If I was willing to drive an Auto, I'd already own a 2007+ Tundra.

Finally, I would get a trailer and keep the FJ. They are small, easy to park, city friendly and will have a pretty good resale for years to come if you keep yours mint. Oh and I think they do well off road too ha ha ha ha

Cheers,
Jorge

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I am in favor of the trailer and bike option. I agree paid for is the best option of any vehicle. On that note, if you must have a truck, i would look at the 1st gen Tundras. Here is why. For the purposes of the comparison I used an '05 Tundra, and a '10 Tacoma in both Short bed and Long bed. I chose the '10 Taco because I assumed most gen 2 Tacos are very close. I chose the 1st gen Tundra, because I am not really a fan of the 2nd Gen Tundras and the gen 1 Tundras are closer in size to the 2nd gen Tacos. Where there is not data for the long bed Taco it is the same as the short bed. All of his information and more may be found @ cars.com.

EDIT: This had nice easy to read columns until I posted it. Hope that it is clear enough.

...............................‘05 DC Tundra....................'10 DC Tacoma SB...........'10 Taco Long Bed
Engine /Displacement l./ in3..........4.7 V8 285.6...........4.0 V6 241
Horse Power/Torque.....................282 / 325.................236 / 266
Fuel Economy City/Hwy.................15 / 18....................14 / 18
Fuel Capacity...............................26.4 gal..................21.0 gal.
Curb Weight Lbs.........................4,965......................4,035...........................4,100
Payload Lbs.............................1,635.....................1,415........................1,350
Towing Lbs.............................4,700.....................3,500
Exterior Length In.......................230.1......................208.1...................................221.3
Width In.............................79.7.................74.6
Height In.............................74.4.................70.1
Wheelbase In..........................140.5..................127.8..........................140.9
Approach Angle Degrees.....................26.....................35
Departure Angle Degrees....................23.....................26..................................25
Ground Clearance In...........................11.9.........................................9.4

The power and torque is in the Tundra's favor. The fuel economy is almost identical slightly favoring the Tundra in the city. However, mileage between fill ups would be in favor of the Tundra due to its larger fuel tank (out in BFE this would be very important). Payload and towing goes to the Tundra. The size differences between the two trucks are just a few inches in all directions. However the size differences translate to the Tundra having a larger more comfortable interior and larger bed. While the Tacoma short bed would be more nimble in town and off-road, the long bed will have a worse breakover angle than the Tundra because of its lower ground clearance and almost identical wheelbase. These are the reasons why I chose a 1st. gen. Tundra DC. The numbers are even better for my needs when compared to a 1st gen. Tacoma DC which is what I really really wanted.

Last edited:

character zero

dangerfoot
great specs there - this is what I really focused on

2006 DC Tundra vs 2014 DC Taco

Front legroom 41.6 " vs 41.7 "
Rear legroom 37.5 " vs 32.6 "
Front headroom 41.2 " vs 40.2 "
Rear headroom 40.2 " vs 38.5 "
Front hiproom 59.7 " vs 53.5 "
Rear hiproom 58.3 " vs 55.2 "
Front shoulder room 62.1 " vs 57.7 "
Rear shoulder room 62.2 " vs 59.3 "

Since I realized my kiddos are not even really growing yet (7/5yo), I knew I needed the interior room.

mike h

Adventurer
Drive a few Tundra/tacos and then think on it. I love my 2010 Tundra Crewmax but when I was shopping I wouldn't even drive one because I thought they were just too big and the taco would be fine. So I bought a 2008 taco 4-door TRD. It had the TRD supercharger which was fun but it's nothing like the 5.7 motor. For us the taco just filled up too fast and the back seat was too small. Driver and passenger comfort wasn't that great, but we were coming from a '96 80-Series so we were spoiled with those great seats.

Drove the taco a year and traded it on a used tundy. The Crewmax is a limo. Driver and passenger comfort is amazing. Gas mileage is close enuf to the taco, don't buy either for the mpgs. Off road, well, yes it is a FULL SIZE truck but I really like it. I live in the woods so city driving isn't a daily concern, but when I'm in urban places the tundra is very big, a handful in parking garages and just won't fit in most city parking lots.

That said, a 4x8 trailer would solve your problem for well under 2k. But that 5.7 motor is intoxicating, puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it. Especially when it's pulling my 5x10 trailer full of motorcycles!

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I just traded my '07 FJ on a '14 Tundra Dbl Cab 5.7L. The FJ was a good vehicle. I took it all over on and off road. It was lifted and had custom bumpers front and rear, skids, etc. I averaged about 16.5mpg and would get up to 20 on trips in the summer and down to 13 and lower in the winter. So far I've only filled the tank once and checked the mileage on the Tundra and it's at 15.54mpg. I'm ready to fill up again shortly and I have only 700 miles on the truck. The cabin is a lot more roomy for driving and the rear seat is pretty decent too. The bed is 6.5ft long and 22" deep so there is a lot of cargo room. The V8 is smooth and sweet. I know the Tundra isn't going to be as capable off road in some areas because of it's size, but on dirt roads out exploring I think it's going to be just fine.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I would buy a trailer and a bicycle. You will never get stellar mileage on something Toyota makes in the US that is capable off road and can haul large items. At least at the moment. Buy a trailer for a couple hundred bucks for the big stuff, and ride your bike for the small stuff.
I know this sounds like I am being an ***, but I am being serious, or at least an option to consider. $300-$500 of car payment can buy alot of gas.

My exact thoughts and exactly what I do....works really well. If I need to get a load of wood or run to the dump or pick up dirt etc. I just hook up to my $200 pickup bed trailer and away I go without worrying about dents, dirt ,etc. For daily duty I ride my bike heck I even have a bicycle trailer if I'm picking up a load of groceries or dog food or something. No gym, saves ridiculous amounts of gas, makes me feel better, saves money, is fun etc.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Personally the new tundras (2007 on) are just too huge for my liking...I feel like I am driving a motorboat...just kinda wallowing around...

I used to think that, and looked at the Tundra again...this past Saturday to be exact....it didn't feel as huge this time around. I have been fussing a lot lately with my aging Tacoma, The DC Tundra has as much rear leg room as our Trooper. I dunno...we are thinking of ditching the Taco and the Trooper, and buying a fullsize truck and a small car...my much better 3/4's sure does like the Scion FR-S. I am waiting to see what 2015 brings...I am liking the looks of the '15 F150. Sure wish Toyota would freshen up their trucks...

My vote is to ditch the FJ....though I would go look at a Eco-Boost F150 too. I test drove one of those not too long ago...fricken hoot to drive, and a touch better mpg than the Tundra...the 2015's look sweet.

p nut

butter
....though I would go look at a Eco-Boost F150 too...

The new 2.7L turbo's projected to get mid to high-20's MPG. That would be incredible. So the big 3 all have full-size trucks above 20MPG, and closing in on 30MPG. Meanwhile, nothing on the horizon from the far East. Maybe they will surprise us, though. Never know.

huntsonora

Explorer
I just sold my 2011 4Runner trail edition with 65,000 miles on it for $30,000 and bought a 2006 DC Tundra with 42,000 miles on it for a shade over $15,000. It was a no brainer for me and the Tundra is the perfect size and the 4.7 liter V8 is bulletproof if you maintain it

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I traded my 2012 Tundra for a 2013 4Runner Trail. I couldn't get used to the shear size of the Tundra. It was massive. The FJ has really grown on me...even more so now that they discontinued them. When I went from a 3rd gen 4runner to the Tundra, packed way more gear than I needed. The FJ/4runner size is perfect to me...didn't you mention that you already had a trailer? Yellow isn't that bad...it's not the best but it's terrible. Having it professionally painted FJ40 Dune Beige 416 with a white top would be killer and still much cheaper than biting off a new car payment.

Hold on to the FJ...make memories with the family with it...teach the kids to drive in it...hand it over to them eventually.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Anything BUT an FJ. I had high hopes when Toyota announced them, but they are so impractical in almost every sense it is almost shocking. I love Toyotas, but as you can tell I HATE FJ Cruisers. I have owned both a 1st gen double cab Tacoma,and a 1st gen Tundra. The Tacoma was the best truck ever. I have yet to drive a 2nd gen Tundra, but drive a 13 Taco once in a while. It's a nice little truck.

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
If you want to ditch the FJ because of the awful color, by all means do it. You might consider buying a used Tacoma, rather than buying new. Like, something 4-10 yrs old.
Trucks, even the "smaller ones" are too damn big these days, IMO.

Caster

Yes, I don't understand the gargantuan dimensions of current trucks. I miss my little '90 Ranger. It was a good truck.

montypower

Adventure Time!
If you don't drive trails... No question. Tundra.

I loved my 2010 Tundra Limited 4x4 5.7L. It averaged 16.5mpg over the 10,000 miles I owned it (hit 19mpg on a road trip). Comfort is much better than Taco plus loads of space. However, it won't fit on any trails (without serious potential for damage). And definitely not as easy parking in the city. The Tacoma is the perfect size if you like running trails. Tacoma averaged 18mpg so not much difference. I drove mine all over the NW. Loved it. Miss both rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior