Lid question

I this might be considered "fill in blank" but why wouldn't a bed frame be considered a good substrate for a lid? It has a static load weight of 1600'.

Seems easy enough to source and cover with a skin.

Some mods would have to happen for a full size to fit a 4x6 but I was just curious as to opinions for or against. It really is only a few inches.

Other than stigma is there any reason this type of set up could not be fabbed up to fit?

Chili

Explorer
Bed frame?

Like this:

bed_frame.jpg

It's just "angle iron", right? Don't see why it couldn't be used for materials, but still going to require cutting and welding, similar to just buying raw angle iron.

Maybe you could save some cash on the material costs, I guess. If you can find some frames for free or cheap from CL.

Right, seems a full is almost the right size out the gate. I was just thinking out of the box as one welder told me 55/hr and poundage on steel. This seems to mitigate the steel cost and requires less welds

It is already primed just could be painted. Low tech I know

4runnerteq

Explorer
My lid frame is not welded. I bolted mine together with brackets then screwed the lucabond cover to it. There are plenty better ways to do it,but so far its working for me
ahymyme8.jpg

puhuga5e.jpg

6e5uruna.jpg

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
If all you want is a flat lid... you could easily do it with wood. Or pay a bit to a welding shop to fab something simple (I don't see that being too expensive either). Basically there's multiple ways to do this on the cheap.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have used bed frame angle for many projects around the house.
they are cheap and sometimes free " trash day " are solid enough to weld and stiff too.
I say go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94