Awnings + rain/wind = disaster?

mjmcdowell

Explorer
I mostly need an awning as a rain/wind shelter and x-tra room off the back of my truck to cook and hang out under during bad weather. Could you post up photos and details of your awnings used for these conditions, home made or otherwise? Thanks. mjmcdowell

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have a carefree fiesta on the back of my truck camper.

The fabric on mine needed replacing so I left it extended pretty much all winter... wanted to see how well it would hold up figuring at some point it would eventually collapse.
I was wrong, with 7+ year old uv-brittled awning material it still held up just fine - even when covered with ice and snow.

(This is a picture of the same model, just not mine)
2004_3000_series_rear_awning.jpg

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
image.jpg. We just got back from a trip up to Smith Rock State Park in Oregon. The wind was cranking through that area as usual with a chance of rain/snow. I set up the awning while my wife said it was a bad idea with the current conditions. I am pleased to report that I got to prove her wrong! ( she's really smart) wind and rain shouldn't pose a real problem as long as its guyed and staked.

Dusty Grin

Observer
image.jpgimage.jpg

I basically build a bridge with my kelty car tarp to my 8x8 instant tent. It works ok but takes a while to set up. It's good for non-stop rain situations. I can spread them out further but it was pouring so I overlapped the tent. No wind issues.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have used my Hannibal awning on a few different rigs and as long as you have a quality roof rack you just can't kill this thing.
over a foot of snow...check
6in deep pool of rainwater on it...check
ability to zip on walls to make an enclosure...priceless

Great awnings that are not cheap but when you figure you get another living space out of the deal it is an eazy choice. Super fast to setup/takedown and no ground poles.

I think Socal Teardrops was working on a Hannibal like awning and since they are a US based company would be worth a shout to them.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The Foxwing awning is great, but not for inclement weather. Even in a modest breeze, it takes two people to deploy. If a gust gets under it and snatches it, it can destroy the hinge mechanism. It's just too much surface area to work well in a big wind. Very nice all other times.

ERJK10.JPG

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I had my Foxwing deployed in the never ending, sometimes intense, wind at Overland Expo 2013. There were a few others with theirs deployed as well and staked down really well. I got some of the OZ Tent blue screws and tested them out the other day. The blue screws hold incredibly well! I wouldn't hesitate to deploy my Foxwing and stake it down with the blue screws during any weather. However, without the blue screws, I would not break out the a Foxwing and trust any old tent stake to hold down that much surface area during extreme wind. I ended up wussing out at OVX because I just had the regular stakes, but the others guys left theirs deployed and they all held up very well.

pazera5e.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I had my Foxwing deployed in the never ending, sometimes intense, wind at Overland Expo 2013. There were a few others with theirs deployed as well and staked down really well. I got some of the OZ Tent blue screws and tested them out the other day. The blue screws hold incredibly well! I wouldn't hesitate to deploy my Foxwing and stake it down with the blue screws during any weather.
That's good to tell people, as I should have been a lot clearer.

Once the Foxwing has its poles up and the guy ropes in place over the top of the poles, then you're in good shape. What I meant to stress is that while being deployed, there's a lot of potential for problems from the wind if only a single person is involved. You really need a second person to hold the tent down while person one is putting the poles and ropes in place. (And you can guess how I know this if I tell you the Foxwing on my truck is the second one. ;) )

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have yet to see an awning I would leave deployed in some of the winds we see in the desert. Too much sail, for too little structure and mounting points.

If one is to use one in serious winds, use lots of stakes and ties, extend it to the ground to keep from flapping, and if possible, close off the as many sides possible to make it an enclosure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz