What fairlead to use on ARB bumper with synthetic winch line

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I just purchased a Warn M8000 winch and will be mounting it in the ARB bumper on my 2001 Tacoma. I will be spooling it with synthetic line. The fairlead mounting position is set back into the bumper so it seems with an aluminum hawse fairlead and a side pull the line might rub on the bumper. Does anyone have any experience like this?

I am considering the two fairleads shown below - standard aluminum or Synthetic roller for a standard roller fairlead.

31SO-h5rTsL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/WARN-87914-Polished-Hawse-Fairlead/dp/B007KCNAK8/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

41xBGnsOyHL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KU700...im_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PPXRDH65X90V50Z1W04

ih8philly

Adventurer
I have the same issue with an ARB bumper on a different vehicle. This seems to be one of those hotly contested items. I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with using a standard metal roller fairlead assuming that the rollers are in good shape and do not have any pre-existing damaged.

Narkhelek

I'm using a roller. I use to have a hawse and when I had to do a extreme side pull it abraded the heck out of my line.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

yalex

"The Kid"
Some companies make an offset hawse fairlead for this exact propose.
P1010018.jpg

Try Slee Offroad, or Southeast Overland.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I looked at my bumper this morning and the holes are not offset like some ARBs. They are in line with the center if the winch line opening. I just want something that gets the line out of the recessed area and in front of the bumper. Ive done some more searching and it seems a lot of people are using regular aluminum hawse fairleads on the ARB bumper. I just don't like the idea of the line rubbing on the bumper in a side pull. I think I will go with the synthetic roller replacements.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I looked at my bumper this morning and the holes are not offset like some ARBs. They are in line with the center if the winch line opening. I just want something that gets the line out of the recessed area and in front of the bumper. Ive done some more searching and it seems a lot of people are using regular aluminum hawse fairleads on the ARB bumper. I just don't like the idea of the line rubbing on the bumper in a side pull. I think I will go with the synthetic roller replacements.

That's the best thing you can do. I would prefer steel, since the synthetic rollers can actually take damage and sharp edges more easily than a steel roller, but so long as you're using rollers, you should be fine.

One other thing. Regardless of what you choose, hawser or rollers, don't do any line pulls more than a few degrees off the natural pulling direction of the winch. No line or fairlead was designed for such an operation and you'll more than likely snap the line well below its rated breaking strength. Get a snatch block or pulley and do it right and do it safe.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

Ramjet

Explorer
I just bought my Offset Fairlead from OKOffroad. Very nice. I would also recommend the Factor55 set up as well. I picked mine up at OEX last year fairly cheap.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I've heard Bill Burke recommend using a roller with synthetic line. Rolling causes less friction than dragging. And friction ultimately results in damage. If you use your winch a lot it could make a difference. FWIW

Expedition Leader
I've currently got winches with synthetic line on two different trucks, one with an aluminum hawse fairlead and one with steel rollers. Both work fine, but the one with the roller fairlead is easier to use.

Ramjet

Explorer
Also, make sure if you do go,with a hawse Fairlead, insure the the thimble can go through the Fairlead opening. The tube thimble did not clear mine and I had to install my roller back on until I can get it machined out a bit.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I went with a Viking hawse fairlead on my ARB. They have a version with a larger radius that is thicker than a standard hawse. It's almost as thick as the recess in the ARB is. You would need to do a pull close to 90º before hitting the bumper.

dp7197

Adventurer
I've heard Bill Burke recommend using a roller with synthetic line. Rolling causes less friction than dragging. And friction ultimately results in damage. If you use your winch a lot it could make a difference. FWIW

Yes, use a roller fairlead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior