Rock Sliders / Body Damage, Truth or BS?

Septu

Explorer
Very true, Septu. I've been thinking this exact same way about my lift and trying to plan smarter about the build and taking my time with mods. Over the weekend I saw a deal on a cheap spring lift from Rancho and upgrading later or just running w/it since I'm not a huge rock crawler. Stepping away from it for a few days, I decided to hold off for a sale on the Metalcloak dual rate lift kit I've wanted for the past 6-10 months. You're right about the price, $100 or $150 isn't really a big deal for the right sliders and another $600 for a much better lift isn't bad either.

lol on the MetalCloak. I just ordered their 3.5". Went back and forth for months on different brands... then chose that last year. Wheeled with it the last 2 years with no major issues... but ran into clearance issues this spring when snow wheeling... so now it was finally time to pull the trigger.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
I have been looking for frame fame mounted sliders. I know from past experience that even on a fire road anything can happen and damage may occur.

One of the ones I have been looking at strongly is the TJM sliders. Wheel to wheel converge and by the pictures I have found they seem to cover a lot under them to.

0E7BA8E7-9DBB-67E8-CCCA94454D901B09.jpg

sgregg108

Adventurer
lol on the MetalCloak. I just ordered their 3.5". Went back and forth for months on different brands... then chose that last year. Wheeled with it the last 2 years with no major issues... but ran into clearance issues this spring when snow wheeling... so now it was finally time to pull the trigger.

Cool, I haven't had any issues and honestly haven't needed the sliders either, but since I ripped off the plastic steps I've wanted coverage for car doors and shopping carts around town and obviously for rougher trails. Btw, any insight about the 3.5 mc lift over the 2.5? Can it be run w/out the driveshaft swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgregg108

Adventurer
I have been looking for frame fame mounted sliders. I know from past experience that even on a fire road anything can happen and damage may occur.

One of the ones I have been looking at strongly is the TJM sliders. Wheel to wheel converge and by the pictures I have found they seem to cover a lot under them to.

0E7BA8E7-9DBB-67E8-CCCA94454D901B09.jpg

Those look pretty stout, how's the price since they're from Aus? Thinking I'll still support the local guy and go w/white knuckle.

Septu

Explorer
Cool, I haven't had any issues and honestly haven't needed the sliders either, but since I ripped off the plastic steps I've wanted coverage for car doors and shopping carts around town and obviously for rougher trails. Btw, any insight about the 3.5 mc lift over the 2.5? Can it be run w/out the driveshaft swap?

I will be doing the exhaust spacer instead of the DS. $60 vs $500 (plus shipping - 150?).

I would think yes - to an extent. You could run the 2.5" lift without the exhaust spacer or the DS swap... but as you flex (drop the axle) you'll slowly wear out the boot until it fails. Having busted my front DS on my 07, driving out, or trying to, sucks with only the rear and no lockers. I basically got pulled everywhere until we hit hard trail again.

I was never really interested in the 2.5". I love the look of a lifted jeep, and wanted the belly clearance. In this situation, it's purely based on looks. Sure there's a slim chance I'll go with 37s or something extreme in a few years... but mostly it's because I like the look. I'm vain, sue me. :D

sgregg108

Adventurer
I was already planning on the exhaust spacer, even with the 2.5" lift. I'd rather have the look of the 3.5" but being honest with myself I probably won't need that high of a lift as I'm probably going to only go as big as 305s for tires, but who knows, maybe the guys at MC will talk me into the 3.5. If I do stay w/the 2.5" I figure I can upgrade for a few bucks to larger springs and the full set of duroflex arms down the line.

I'm just as vain, love the fancy and expensive toys, haha.

I will be doing the exhaust spacer instead of the DS. $60 vs $500 (plus shipping - 150?).

I would think yes - to an extent. You could run the 2.5" lift without the exhaust spacer or the DS swap... but as you flex (drop the axle) you'll slowly wear out the boot until it fails. Having busted my front DS on my 07, driving out, or trying to, sucks with only the rear and no lockers. I basically got pulled everywhere until we hit hard trail again.

I was never really interested in the 2.5". I love the look of a lifted jeep, and wanted the belly clearance. In this situation, it's purely based on looks. Sure there's a slim chance I'll go with 37s or something extreme in a few years... but mostly it's because I like the look. I'm vain, sue me. :D

croix

Observer
Poison Spyder input

I saw a podcast with Larry Mcrae of Poison Spyder and he discussed this very question. He went over the pros and cons of each and admitted that much of it comes down to personal driving style. In the end he said that he prefers body mounted over frame mounted for the additional clearance since he personally takes a slower approach to most obstacles anyway. I know that he wheels much more hardcore than I ever will, and if he can make body mounted work without significant damage... well, I will likely go with body mounted. MHO.

sgregg108

Adventurer
I saw a podcast with Larry Mcrae of Poison Spyder and he discussed this very question. He went over the pros and cons of each and admitted that much of it comes down to personal driving style. In the end he said that he prefers body mounted over frame mounted for the additional clearance since he personally takes a slower approach to most obstacles anyway. I know that he wheels much more hardcore than I ever will, and if he can make body mounted work without significant damage... well, I will likely go with body mounted. MHO.

Interesting, I should check that out, still think I'm going to go w/white knuckles but worth looking at. Thanks.

Septu

Explorer

I'm sure he also picks better lines than I do too! :)

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i may have missed it but my take on the slides isnt really to stop damage but prevent major damage. you may get a dent to ding fron the slider hitting the rocker panel but if it weren't for the slider the panel could have been ripped open to the point of ruining the rig. its like a bullet proof vest, it doesn't stop everything but makes most things survivable with minimum damage.

the body mounted seems like it would sit higher and snag less stuff with the opposite being said for the frame mounted. but have always thought why these things don't have skid plates to minimized the snagging of the mounting bars.

Rubicon John

Observer
This debate of body vs. frame mounted rock rails goes back decades.

In my CJ-7 days the argument was that frame mounted rails could cause frame damage with a bad hit and it was better to use a body mounted rail since the body was the lesser of the two evils if damaged.

My understanding is the jeep engineers also used this philosophy in creating the mounts used on the TJ / JK Rubicons.

sgregg108

Adventurer
i may have missed it but my take on the slides isnt really to stop damage but prevent major damage. you may get a dent to ding fron the slider hitting the rocker panel but if it weren't for the slider the panel could have been ripped open to the point of ruining the rig. its like a bullet proof vest, it doesn't stop everything but makes most things survivable with minimum damage.

the body mounted seems like it would sit higher and snag less stuff with the opposite being said for the frame mounted. but have always thought why these things don't have skid plates to minimized the snagging of the mounting bars.

Interesting, makes sense though.

sgregg108

Adventurer
This debate of body vs. frame mounted rock rails goes back decades.

In my CJ-7 days the argument was that frame mounted rails could cause frame damage with a bad hit and it was better to use a body mounted rail since the body was the lesser of the two evils if damaged.

My understanding is the jeep engineers also used this philosophy in creating the mounts used on the TJ / JK Rubicons.

This actually makes a lot of sense, id much rather have a bent or dinged tub than a tweaked frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online