2005 Tundra Single Cab Long Bed Work Truck Weekend Camper Build

upcountry

Explorer
After selling my Tacoma to focus on finishing grad school im back with a new project. Just picked up a 2005 Tundra single cab long bed work truck edition 4x4. 135k. And, a HUGE 8 foot bed!

Truck has manual hand crank windows, a vinyl floor instead of carpet, cruise control, a full gauge console, and AC .

Im going to keep this one simple and keep the driveline and suspension stock for the most part amd focus on the living space.

Short list:

Shell
Sleeping Platform
Second Battery setup
Led lighting in shell
Fridge (already have from Taco)
Storage setup (keep it simple)
Rack (basic innovo or thule gutter mount to shell)
Awning

Long Term:

Propex heater
Mild lift and 33's
Ham with all the sauce

My focus is different this time and ive learned what not to do!

I want to use the truck for a weekend basecamp to acces the WA coast for surf trips and the ski hills. The propex will be key to makimg this work.

Attachments

• 20140324_170908.jpg
    20140324_170908.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 50

huntsonora

Explorer
Can't wait to see what you do! I love the simplicity of the truck itself

I just finished with an old man emu suspension(OME coils and OME shocks) and it rides amazing! I mention it in case you decide to go with a newer suspension that allows for bigger tires. The OME setup just eats up washboard roads and I love it

upcountry

Explorer
Yeah, i love simple things. I have missed the old style vinyl floors and hand crank windows and full gauges. I was happy to find that i could find a newer truck that took me back to the basics. Not a daily driver and im excited to see what it becomes.

huntsonora

Explorer
Was also thinking Billstein 5100s and OME 885s upfront.... small 1" block in the rear with 5100s.

That's what I toyed with too but after talking to Slee Off-road and Toytec they both say that it's probably not a good idea because the Bilsteins are not valved for those springs. I went with OME shocks and it rides amazingly well as the shocks are meant to go with those coils. Just something to think about. I know a lot of guys love the OME/Bilstein combo but there are a number of shocks wearing prematurely on that setup IMO

upcountry

Explorer
Added toytec coilover and Toyo M55s - 255/85s

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    467.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
Welcome back looks like a clean find. You could fit an 8' four wheel camper on that sucker:)
Cam-shaft

Thanks. Good to be back. The Subaru forester wasn't cutting it. Still have it as a family wagon, but needed a fun project. It's a disease.

J

JWP58

If I could find a tundra just like yours only white, I'd be all over it.

Good find, looking forward to the progress of your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94