Electric coolers question..

Longrange308

Adventurer
I have one, its fairly small though, around 19quarts. Im going to be picking up a 40quart Igloo electric cooler this week for $99. I know its not an ARB fridge, but for my needs, it will get the job done.. For now.

My question is though, what do some of you guys do when you are running an accessory or appliance from a 12v outlet that is not ignition switched. I am fearful of draining the battery, and while I carry a jumper box, I would rather not have to even think about jumping it while out in the wilderness.

I have found a Waeco low voltage cutoff that will work with my cooler, it looks like the plug will even match my cooler straight off. Only problem is I cant get it directly to me, and its only sold in Australia as far as I can see.

I have a buddy that lives in Perth, that is willing to pick it up and send it to me, but do you guys think its worth it?

What do you guys usually end up doing to protect yourselves?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
What do you guys usually end up doing to protect yourselves?

A second, isolated battery is really the best/only protection.

You'll find the reason people don't use those peltier-style coolers more is that they're terribly inefficient, making a proper battery system all the more important

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Longrange308

Adventurer
A second, isolated battery is really the best/only protection.

You'll find the reason people don't use those peltier-style coolers more is that they're terribly inefficient, making a proper battery system all the more important

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree that they are horribly inefficient, though at this point in my life, a dual battery system is not practical. I wish it were feasible for me, but for now I need to make due and afford myself any protection I can for my current setup.

Eventually though, I would like to see myself with a dual-switchable/isolatable battery setup with a proper ARB fridge.. I need to find a better job before I drop that kind of coin though.. lol

overlander

Expedition Leader
I had an older coleman electric cooler, and rather than allow my friends that don't have proper fridges yet to be tempted to take it and then leave themselves stranded somewhere, I took it to the dump.

you do NOT want one of these. even with a cutoff, they are so inefficient (about the power draw of a large laptop) that will only work for a few hours and then cutoff, leaving you and you food stranded.

You would be much better off getting a hi quality cooler like a yeti. Half the price of a fridge, and can keep ice frozen for days.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The math isn't working for me for what you want to do. That 40 quart is a 6 Amp continuous draw... car battery maybe 60 AH so you want to pull 30AH at most... that means you get to run your cooler for 5 hours...

As others have said, I would be investing $99 in a good cooler (and maybe a block of dry ice)

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I have the Coleman version and I really like it. I have dual batteries, there really is no other choice unless 120v is available or keep the engine running. It kills my second battery in about 6 hours - they draw a huge amount. With an auto-cutoff, I'll bet it only runs and hour os so before it cuts off.

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
I run an Edgestar FP430 with a single optima battery and it's good for a couple days or so. I leave it running overnight on trips with no problems.

pugslyyy

I run an Edgestar FP430 with a single optima battery and it's good for a couple days or so. I leave it running overnight on trips with no problems.

yeah but that's a $700 real refrigerator (with a compressor). How does that help OP?

I was wondering about the same thing. I recently bought a Koolatron thermoelectric cooler from evil camping world and I'm concerned about battery drainage, so in my M416 tongue box I installed a double 12volt lighter adapter in with my 2 deep cell batteries and solar charger and a shore charger as well. I will have two 100 watt panels running at any given time as long as the weather holds out. I really wanted to buy a Dometic or ARB refrigerator but, that's like $800+ too much ouch for me!

Lucky j

Explorer
I did all the the cooler option mention above in the past. I now have an ARB 35qt, I also have a small igloo and a Coleman extrem cooler. I would not go back in time.

Let see what I would used them for.

The igloo, can still be used for smal trip were I have electricity. It is smaller than the ARB, but asbolutely need to be on cord for the night. So it is more a road trip thing for daily lunch.

The Extrem is now used for let say, food container duty like this next weekend, crab transport duty with a bit of snow on top of them, or to be used to protect food from the groceries to the cabin. Do not really need ice for the duration, and it is lighter than the ARB.

Every thing else is the ARB domain, even in house overflow fridge. And never to worry about amp draw.

So Without the ARB, the Colman extrem would still be used as the maine and most reliable way to keep stuff cold. The igloo would still be used for the one day stuff.

No one also mention the silence around the operation or an ARB type of fridge.

So IMO, do not invest on a big electric cooler unless you plan to connect is to a power line after only a couple of hours once the vehicule as been turn off.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
If you really want the electric cooler over a regular cooler then just run the power cord to the power outlet/cig lighter outlet on the dash and just unplug it whenever you turn the engine off.

I had an electric cooler once and found it worked OK while I was driving. Most of them only cool to 40 deg F below ambient temp. So if it is 100 in your truck (desert driving maybe?) your food is going to spoil since it will be as high as 60 deg F.

One nice thing was mine could also be used as a warmer so in the winter it was nice to keep chili and hot chocolate warm when we were snow wheelin'.

As others have mentioned a quality cooler and ice packs or dry ice really are the way to go to keep food from spoiling.
When I use a cooler I throw in frozen 2L bottles of water. They last a long time due to the size and don't get your food wet, and if needed you can drink the water as it melts.

Darrell

ZMagic97

Explorer
yeah but that's a $700 real refrigerator (with a compressor). How does that help OP?

Unless im misunderstanding the original post, the concerns are about draining a battery. If that's so, im just sharing my experiance of my fridge being run overnight on a non ingnition switched 12v source. Again, maybe im not understanding the question.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
. I really wanted to buy a Dometic or ARB refrigerator but, that's like $800+ too much ouch for me!

ARB? Yes, they're pricey, as are the Engels.

Dometic? Not if you shop around. I bought a small (19qt) Dometic a couple of years ago for $315, shipped to my front door.

If I had to do it over again, though, I would bite the bullet and get a Truckfridge or Indel-B (all made by Dometic/Waeco anyway) for around $500.

Here's a link to the place I bought my Dometic from in 2012:

http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-...urce=Froogle&gclid=CJLoxtf3070CFe9QOgodHCgAnw

The price has gone up to $334 and they no longer offer free shipping

Here it is for $330 and shipping is only $10 anywhere in the lower 48:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...gn=partsfeed&gclid=CLGlk4v4070CFcFlOgodQggAkA

Website for Truckfridge:

http://www.truckfridge.com/index.html

31qt models start at $429 + shipping.

You can also get Indel-B Travel Box fridges, basically the same thing as Truckfridges and in the same size, from Equipt off road in Utah (BTW, Equipt is a member of this board.)

http://www.equipt1.com/

Prices are more or less competitive with Truckfridge. I think Equipt charges a lower initial price but a higher shipping so it comes out pretty much the same either way.

Anyway, I know you already have your cooler, just wanted to point out to those who think you have to spend nearly a grand to get a decent fridge that no, you don't.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Unless im misunderstanding the original post, the concerns are about draining a battery. If that's so, im just sharing my experiance of my fridge being run overnight on a non ingnition switched 12v source. Again, maybe im not understanding the question.

I have an Engel that will run for days on a dual battery setup. The thing is indestructible and I've had it for at least 10 years now. When I'm not using it on the road, it stays plugged in as an extra drinks fridge in the garage. I didn't mention because the OP seemed to have a budget of around $100, but if we are all going to compare what we have so be it.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I was just trying to say my one battery with a fridge did fine and doesn't kill my battery. That's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior