GPS route depository?

Longrange308

Adventurer
I was wondering if users on this site have ever thought about sharing some of their GPS routes in .KML format? Is there something like this already available? If not, is this is something that interests anyone? I wouldn't mind hosting, organizing and making the database of routes.

Does this sound like something that might be a viable and usable idea for members here and elsewhere?

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
That looks like what I was thinking about, just in a much prettier package. I have some routes that are mapped out that I wouldnt mind sharing. Thanks for the link!

Thanks man! If you are a web guru, we would love any input you can offer. Our biggest challenge is making the upload of the actual GPX files user friendly. Right now I do it all on the back end of the site. If you have some to shre, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you where to send them.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Thanks man! If you are a web guru, we would love any input you can offer. Our biggest challenge is making the upload of the actual GPX files user friendly. Right now I do it all on the back end of the site. If you have some to shre, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you where to send them.

No guru here.. But if you need help with anything, I am willing to do my best.

My idea was basically to host a site similar to Dirtopia, basically a wiki type site where users can go in and add or change information as it becomes more relevant or known, with the main purpose of uploading GPS route files that would be linked on the page directly. Your concept is a bit more engaging and business like. I like it, and it looks way cleaner, but I can definitely see that it is more effort and time involved than my idea.

If you need any webmaster support, housekeeping or anything of that sort, let me know. I could also help with the updating of routes as they come in if it gets too big a task for you.

dlh62c

Explorer
Have you used Garmin Adventures?

You can see and follow other peoples adventures within Garmin's Basecamp software.

Screen Shot of someone's Garmin Adventure of the White Rim Trail.

WRT.jpg

Last edited:

kylekai

Observer
www.offroadtrailguide.com is what we started this year. We'd love to have some help building it bigger.

I tried to send an email on your site, but got this error:
<info@offroadtrailguide.com>: child status 100...The e-mail message could not be delivered because the user's mailfolder is full.

I had a comment about the files that can be downloaded. I went to the Burrow Wash page, and it said 'download .KML' but I got a GPX file instead. But that's really what I wanted, so that's fine.

If you (or the person uploading) modifies the GPX metadata so it contains more info, you can then view the data on an iPhone or iPad with my $1 GPX Viewer app. It's not really selling the app that interests me, it's being able to view all the data on an iPhone / iPad when on the trail. Below are a few pictures of what it could look like. If this interests you, let me know.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

-Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles