TwoTrack's 05 Tundra

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
The Goal:

This will be a long term build focused on getting my family and I outdoors. The main deciding factor for going with a 1st gen Tundra was the 4.7's proven track record (and the insane prices of used Tacoma's). My overall goal is to keep a low key stealth look and to maintain factory reliability. All while making it capable enough for our needs.

Current State:

RSSH4hAbPQH-eYJ9CoGBAbM73KRq0mzIt9FZ_tcGy2WpM5ZpNvdrK2epO2x8NKT_xB5VDHN1FuIwcgZBS4EdfIavz8IloT0Y33ye7btL5Coz8JpamnG5qczWeNkCkQ5fsm2uXNFULfV85WRF0XZzjyFv6rs-41mH6fl3UqcPAqiSCPN5nHaNmu9MQAoRNLPFUkodT4zWdJZ3_E2ukXuSsMm5Mk9CoLw92n_H12L0nK21iQbgGmrqpTHUFwCIQ4ee2_S4WzINIJb48ghPymyV1yH4Zk_VbC7K9vmk_wGTnwlQY9AztikMGJHRYEBaa9Qd8TXVjRNVdUgxKqnPkoCvKixrPEU-yeK7bWW0hbnbScMh4F5LBsHJsjXHU-z4Vo20TZRW1ZhA7ZPYDv9ZoIPO9ceVIHszrhZfZjQNsDZFkGFpnlVaGdWeHTohwlRaAqEEqtxgDFAUPsGenYPcwcI_7MOOm5BiNiUa3Ah7qhSljae72D7PIyH42CJzOMz4vglAAmLHVHK9I2aDXwxiEwyQNdAKKt9Sgm4h1uguBMFIvjnEGM8RI07JxqMAME9GEpcIfmZCbene2qsm54VV9voZ0HzCyT9noSms-ko05kgolgb_th7YpDKuJEXJE-UZ5D4W0rXfSKgMs8gFvdrdDCWGI9O9-Bf-si3i=w1184-h887-no

Front Suspension:
  • Bilstein 5100's (middle setting)
  • Tundra TRD Coils
  • Light Racing UCA
  • Toytec Diff Drop
Rear Suspension:
  • OME 60091
  • Toytec AAL
  • EZ-990 Helper Springs
Tires:
Misc:
The History:

My first, and previous, vehicle was a 2wd Ford Ranger. I had a lot of fun in this truck and took it places it had no business going. I learned a lot in the 5 years I owned this truck, the main thing? Buy once, cry once.

Q2ed_JEh_Nt_Dj_Wt_P2eh_Tuc_FFS5h_WYGac5ponb_G8_LPANDGy8i_C.jpg
kFK3Dp26EvJOjcN28G45VQfnst4qjbzdQkRcodeSFhAi83_f9mf1q2ZDglZfivtMRwvGm_1YLe31j4IUPisiPvStJMa2qo5cW3rcwYFfxNHx6fnWJ6PM7hOgVPUy6iM5w-MhMISqKlI=w1498-h949-no

And this is who prompted the upgrade in the first place.

h_DBK0_Udus_Xern_Bx_Mge_L0u_IMK18_ZMe3_Ai7g_MZwf_H3_IJZkonlt.jpg
y6HVfxoUZQF1v17OHt-nDcJa0wUqTNJTGuydJRL1_QELsKuMtsdKI1wVk_elt_fpGw13noq8L1yedv5NIxF4kpbUI6Csj1L-8w0Ep8G6WEwR4J04ITyca_LtOPVcxFn9rQuUtY9nsVjQ7PFHdJF0yjOGaytWgjt6dGtUfGNBoUgW8m5OYtUeUAHvX7LNYOlpMgIx7_kMlN2bPontgiTfAjQjSWt2dEHiCIleMz5bWFG_wdSecqNuIKCQUrx1AhmC4-4IRadk2VdDr422KvE_SeuJ19ysbOAdh6tOpP8nmLTwBCg1ImpTK9sPqqEYeaVMG2NePe4BFfGtUhMwpcD_08AbbtylAfJON-xIzoYsv6spcpg71yag8iMp5OlwHmKd0jm8IwPuf-YaOwyrdcmwX4bbN8la9O_E9khhyYQ7EAdjHYpZuANJ7rA37oh7_6t7LGp-zzzNavJOeJfd5bmik2IDfInLbNMi_sOm3FPaKGyQdz36XDOZWGNkccAnj0EEWqFmo1yqUNYTt2bvYVyez7LtBPcE1hy4iCFErDyPwsr5qYvW7IEZeTDsDyopPMeRcBlckMbxvPfWDG4o2qsBPBX7DxOVLM0xMziAvqiDjYcS760A-jDJcsDO3k36603_ZgkFCd5Bs3QvSNro2goTVa3Z_Erd1mD2=w941-h623-no

It's impossible to fit a carseat in a Ranger, trust me, I tried.

The Tundra:

Finally the Tundra. It's a 2005 Phantom Grey Pearl 4x4 Access Cab. It has the SR5 package with optional LSD out back. Purchased on April 7th, 2014 with 150,340 miles:

AFBAa_B6g20_K7k_W4dp_Vzm_9_Zm_Qkna_PWzed_IK3_YWYv_Fa_Df6p7_V.jpg
TaHsxo_arw25mO_84id0ww7SrKP759nMIlYqNvAOwEL6xCEGbbN64dbtg-nLmisTl3QqQAZcauZD1T86b1WwPbET7jqf2BBEEe7hPAAaAvZUCweY3vPPYcrI5ZaqpaI5K0AupoKT-AVyj7nS51rgt8-zrFYIriZpizPP2vMx4MqsfbbjCD4JMURcAcS9mQ77Pq34wHb2EPpkshYfnatExVDJgXAZbAeQZs6eZY7LXvlJP0xK7rRzB0dVap6iUcDaZT-K52RNtmDlKuvzWBoQLjPJfvXB3Nl08IwBspvAJxEAqFQREVv_f7tvoSKxMiGhPxFmFYUVeaEBH1E0cJIlYAfhNIwi-Db9lG1IEHsrUZAw7OuZD5o9l8RBiqjcqssfo1cc_gmcP-Q0XG7UBCAHgMezoJmPl4M2wUcJnLd_a2M6qc-x-BVLr_Aoi-a5FPWu40oM5lmQTHg0bWn-MRUCHVv-mSknI9KsAA4qSzKuOGsdwsu0kSJQXTF_JusX9kihRJFv_OS7EDGomEzBHcYGatv9Q1Vv03Pv1UsXkL-A22mASlU612-u9TRfrgHtjdV5RfnvKkXg3G7BFdMFJ5zz5SXxFTrsexNf1rnuWvdUU3f_XeBkTsLhqmQJ8xamHdKT8k_05WpoXfz_NzWQ7G1MqMW3L4LmVfo=w544-h408-no

Last edited:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'm assuming you got the 8 and the Auto trans? If so, I would do the Timing Belt unless you find records of it being done and I would certainly drop the trans pan and change the filter. Change dif fluids and well, all the fluids unless you can find documentation of it being done. Great trucks, loved my Tundra, would buy another one in a heartbeat. Enjoy!

-jorge

4runnerteq

Explorer
x2. And I cant rember if the 05 engine is an inteference or not. I know for a fact the 06 is. Belt breaks in it its engine time.Yes it might be able to be fixed but a clean used engine is less expensive. Other than that, go ahead and do the water pump at the same time. Nice looking rig. They really are great trucks.

4runnerteq

Explorer
and oh yeah, you can to toyotaownersonline.com and ck any dealer service history that has been done by putting in the vin #

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah, do the timing belt and water pump if it hasn't already been done. While you are at it, drop in an electric fan; it makes a noticeable difference in the Tundra. I have had mine for almost 7 years and it has given me 0 problems!

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I'm assuming you got the 8 and the Auto trans? If so, I would do the Timing Belt unless you find records of it being done and I would certainly drop the trans pan and change the filter. Change dif fluids and well, all the fluids unless you can find documentation of it being done. Great trucks, loved my Tundra, would buy another one in a heartbeat. Enjoy!

-jorge

Yes it's the v8 w/ auto. I will go ahead and change all fluids and timing belt.

and oh yeah, you can to toyotaownersonline.com and ck any dealer service history that has been done by putting in the vin #

That site was very helpful, however it looks like the PO stopped having it serviced at the dealer after the warranty ran out. All scheduled maintenance up to that point.

Yeah, do the timing belt and water pump if it hasn't already been done. While you are at it, drop in an electric fan; it makes a noticeable difference in the Tundra. I have had mine for almost 7 years and it has given me 0 problems!

First time someone has recommended an e-fan, I had one installed on my Ranger, I will definitely look into that.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, greatly appreciated.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Time for an update, I've now had the truck for a few weeks and I've been researching non stop. With a child due in August I'm trying to get this truck mostly done by then. So far I have ordered my timing belt / water pump kit and have all the fluids waiting for a nice weekend to go in. For my suspension / tire setup I'm looking at the following setup:

Front:
Sway-A-Way 2" Coilovers
RevTek Diff Drop

Rear:
Wheelers HD 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
Bilstein 5100 Shocks

Tires/Wheels:
Wheelers Steel Wheels
Cooper Discoverer ATP 285/75R16

The rear window on the topper is also in need of some repair, I'll get some pictures of that up today.

All opinions are greatly appreciated!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Congrats on the baby and the Tundra!

I have a baby due in July and I'm wonderng how the baby seat will fit in the AC? Can you post a pic if you get a chance of the baby seat installed?

huntsonora

Explorer
Time for an update, I've now had the truck for a few weeks and I've been researching non stop. With a child due in August I'm trying to get this truck mostly done by then. So far I have ordered my timing belt / water pump kit and have all the fluids waiting for a nice weekend to go in. For my suspension / tire setup I'm looking at the following setup:

Front:
Sway-A-Way 2" Coilovers
RevTek Diff Drop

Rear:
Wheelers HD 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
Bilstein 5100 Shocks

Tires/Wheels:
Wheelers Steel Wheels
Cooper Discoverer ATP 285/75R16

The rear window on the topper is also in need of some repair, I'll get some pictures of that up today.

All opinions are greatly appreciated!

Congrats on the 2 new additions to the family!

I recently bought a DC tundra and have a build thread on this forum and I went with the old man emu suspension and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Seriously, the truck rides great and the OME setup is bulletproof and doesn't require a bunch of maintenance. Slee offers the kit as does Toytec. I went through Toytec as they are closer to me by a 1/2 hour but I would highly recommend that lift. It came with a diff drop and everything you need

I went with 265 ST Maxx tires to retain performance and mileage and I don't think they look bad at all

Best of luck on what you decide to do and I'm sure it'll be great

Derek24

Explorer
Very nice truck! The best year tundras IMO! Good transmission, more HP/TQ, and all the little quirks worked out. After the timing belt change and new suspension, tires, wheels, all that, all you have to do is drive it for the next 100k miles till the next timing belt change. Really there's not much to do. Best truck I have ever owned, my 2000 went through every kind of weather and anything I threw at it and drove home like nothing happened. Sometimes I think how it lasted all those years with out an issue. I compare it to my 1983 toyota 4wd in quality and reliability. These are toyotas!

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Congrats on the baby and the Tundra!

I have a baby due in July and I'm wonderng how the baby seat will fit in the AC? Can you post a pic if you get a chance of the baby seat installed?

We haven't bought a car seat just yet, we're hoping to get it as a baby shower gift. However, we test fit a Chicco Keyfit 30 and think it'll be the best fit for the access cab. For maximum room this is what you want: http://www.combiusa.com/Coccoro-p/8220.htm

Congrats on the 2 new additions to the family!

I recently bought a DC tundra and have a build thread on this forum and I went with the old man emu suspension and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Seriously, the truck rides great and the OME setup is bulletproof and doesn't require a bunch of maintenance. Slee offers the kit as does Toytec. I went through Toytec as they are closer to me by a 1/2 hour but I would highly recommend that lift. It came with a diff drop and everything you need

I went with 265 ST Maxx tires to retain performance and mileage and I don't think they look bad at all

Best of luck on what you decide to do and I'm sure it'll be great

I keep going back and forth on tire size. I like the stock wheels but don't want to run wheel spacers which means the largest tire I can fit is a 265/70R17, or a 32x10.7 roughly. I feel like I'd regret not stepping up to the wider and taller 285/75R16, but at the same time the conservative side of my brain says to stay smaller to reduce rubbing issues and to keep as much stock performance as possible.

For the suspension I don't want that much lift, hoping for right at 2". With he adjustable coilovers I can dial that in perfectly. I feel like something such as the SAW would be best for my application. I do keep thinking about the Toytec CO just because of their great reputation. The fact that the SAWs need to be rebuilt periodically doesn't bother me and most people say they perform better, especially since you can re-valve them to your exact application.

As a side note, I love your truck and have followed your build both here and on TS, I'm excited to see what you go with for sliders.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Withlacoochee State Forest

Finally had some down time and decided to take a day trip to explore a local state forest, the Withlacoochee. It was a great day and we were able to test the limits of the new truck. The only thing I notice right off the bat is how bad the current Mastercraft tires are. They need to be upgraded asap. All in all I was happily surprised with the off road ability of this truck. I'm very excited to take many more trips/adventures in this truck.

trail1+%25282%2529.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste