Anyone have pix of how they mounted solar panels

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I have mine mounted on a galvanised steel rack built by Brownchurch. I have 8 100w panels and they sit in recessed frames in the rack and are bolted down. The whole rack is about 3 inches off of the roof of the truck, the wiring is run under the rack, clipped on using rubber lines stainless P-clips.

Here's the truck with the naked rack:

P1020995.JPG

Here's the recessed sections for the panels:

P1030003.JPG

P1030142.JPG

Here's some of the panels mounted:

P1030131.JPG

Here's the clamps and bolts which I use to fix the edges of the panels which I cant reach from the sides:

P1030144.JPG

Here's the finished job:

P1030518.JPG

For the trailer, I obviously cannot drive with my panel mounted so I built a stowage crate for the back of the truck. One side is wider to accommodate the affixed tv wall mount, and the other side is thinner for the spare panel. I used 1x6" and some Masonite and on each side of the inner slat I used spray adhesive then duct taped the edges of some 1/4 inch foam matting to pad the inside against the glass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 114

Xterabl

Adventurer
Thanks, 100acre. My biggest regret is that the flip-up panel is not very serviceable. If I ever need to replace it or want to upgrade, it'll be a major job...LOTS of silicone went into its installation as i was very concerned about waterproofing.
Nik in Long, your solar is quite impressive...nice work!

Thank you for the kind words Xterabl. If you can , where the panel mounts onto the tv mount why not just use bolts with wing nuts for quick release? Or of you ever decide to use a different mount, just disconnect from one of the pivot points and leave the original mount in place. Add a ring to it for an extra tie down. My three cents...

spikemd

Explorer
It ain't pretty, but they work. Nomad 27, Nomad 13.5x2 and Escape 30 Goal Zero panels to my Extreme350 GZ PowerPack that runs my fridge and lights at night. Recharges the battery quickly while also running the fridge.

2014_dv35.jpg

2014_dv36.jpg

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Awesome thread. I love seeing the variety of ideas illustrated here.

I used (3) 25W panels wired in parallel and framed on two sides with 48" long aluminum angle. I just used some tarp straps to hold it down. Portable when needed. Works great, never had a problem.

DSC09645.JPG

DSC09644.JPG

DjKeebz

Awesome thread. I love seeing the variety of ideas illustrated here.

I used (3) 25W panels wired in parallel and framed on two sides with 48" long aluminum angle. I just used some tarp straps to hold it down. Portable when needed. Works great, never had a problem.

DSC09645.JPG

DSC09644.JPG
Do you drive with it strapped like that? I am about to do mine and want to be able to quickly remove it if I need to use the rack for something else.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Crom, that is a nice setup. I'm familiar with those straps and they are plenty strong, for sure.
Can you pass some info, i.e. a web link, about the panels themselves?

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Do you drive with it strapped like that? I am about to do mine and want to be able to quickly remove it if I need to use the rack for something else.

Yes. I have driven every day for an entire year like that, over 10K miles. I'm using the 15" variety tarp straps. and their petty tight. I recently inspected them and decided it was time to replace them due to sun rot. If they weren't stretched so tight they'd last longer. I know because I have others that were installed at the same time (not as tight) and they're absolutely fine.

They see sun practically every day of the year in San Diego.

Crom, that is a nice setup. I'm familiar with those straps and they are plenty strong, for sure.
Can you pass some info, i.e. a web link, about the panels themselves?

Sure. Thanks. They are W. Solar panels bought in March 2013 from Solar Blvd. I bought them because I wanted to make a long skinny panel and possibly separate the panels for other 12v projects. :)

geordie4x4

Observer
Here is a photo of my semi flexible monocrystalline panel on the fiberglass shell roof top camper.

P1070676.jpg

When the rooftop tent is off, I have panels mounted low between the roof racks so I can still put a kayak or other flat load on the rack over the panels.

P1040147.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94