New to HAM and almost there....

gunnermoose

Adventurer
New to HAM and I am getting ready to take my exam next week.

Now on to the immportant stuff.

I generally travel throughout Arizona. Reading a lot of the posts related to HAM I see comments about having stations preprogramed. Is there anyone who can recommend some stations that I should always have programed? What is a good resource for finding stations or repeaters when going on a trip to a new location?

orco59

ARRL is a good resource. If you have an iphone there are apps. Android might too. Also there are websites with repeater lists, some free.
Best is your local ham club..

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I second local ham clubs. Repeater directories help give you an idea what might be there but not if it works or is popularly used. In AZ look up the cactus intertie (check the name locally to make sure I called it the right thing) on UHF. That is a linked system all over the place and even out East here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wirenut

Adventurer
I have the repeater book app on my Android. It works pretty well. There's also repeater book.com
The ARRL pocket guide is a nice little book that covers the whole country.

rambrush

Adventurer
I would suggest looking at the all-star network. Here in Arizona there are repeators linked chandler white tanks on up here to Kingman. It is possible to be out of town in hotel log in and volia you are chatting away like you never left home. There is a i15 intertie from Vegas all way up through Idaho Montana etc. Look at apps for cell phone plenty out there.
Echolink comes to mind also.

robgendreau

Explorer
I just got a thingie from ARRL; used to be they gave away a repeater directory with membership, and now they have an Android app with the same info. Check it out. Good source for ham info.

amusselm

Don't forget the National Simplex Calling frequency. Particularly 146.520 Mhz on 2m. While most areas have more traffic on the repeaters out there, you might still be able to get in contact with someone who happens to be in simplex range of you.

Also, many systems broadcast their repeater information on APRS.

uli2000

Adventurer
I bought a copy of the ARRL repeater guide a few years back. Can't speak for every area, but the details for the repeaters in my area were seriously out of date. Wrong PL's and a couple of repeaters that hadn't been on the air in years.

I use repeaterbook's app currently. Has an offline database so you don't need cell or wifi service to find a repeater. Frequent updates on the databases as well. And on their website you can list new repeaters, changes in current repeaters, and rate repeaters as well. I've made updates on some of the local repeaters and they had the info updated in about 24 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles