TC at Mineral King?

mkish

Adventurer
Hey y'all!

The campgrounds at Mineral King (Sequoia/Kings Canyon) are listed as "tent only" with no RVs or trailers allowed. I suspect it's due to the size of the sites and (even more so) the unfriendliness of the road to get in there. Anyone take their popup TC there? Any problems with the rangers?

Thanks!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Hey y'all!

The campgrounds at Mineral King (Sequoia/Kings Canyon) are listed as "tent only" with no RVs or trailers allowed. I suspect it's due to the size of the sites and (even more so) the unfriendliness of the road to get in there. Anyone take their popup TC there? Any problems with the rangers?

Thanks!
My friend was camped there two yrs ago with his Alaskan. No issues aside from extremely strict dog rules.

kylekai

Observer
I've been up there a few times with my Hallmark popup. Before I did I emailed that very question to the park, and their reply is below. If I ever get stopped going up there I will show them this email:

On May 7, 2007, at 1:57 PM, SEKI_Interpretation@nps.gov wrote:
I have recently answered a similar inquiry and the rangers told me that a truck camper that doesn't extend beyond the width or length of the truck bed would be no problem in Mineral King. I would think the same thing would apply to a standard-body van (not extended in width or length). I agree that a stated definition of a prohibited RV would be helpful; that's one of the reasons I forwarded your email to the Mineral King ranger.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
We were there decades ago sporting a 1970 Toyota Gland Bruiser, FJ55 pulling a jeep trailer. The road in is very narrow with many hairpin, and I mean hairpin turns on the narrow paved road. The camping spurs were short, that's for sure but we got the whole rig in there and no one bothered us.
As far as the 'note' from the Feds above, it seems pretty short sighted to me. What if your short bed camper sticks out over the bumper as far as a long bed camper does in total length?
Yosemite posts the absolute limits of each and every camping spur in the park as to length. Most are pretty short. So, with our 20 foot, 2 inch long SB TC, would that fit? I think so having been there in the dim dark past. But, times change and so does park management, so , who knows. I would not be afraid to attempt M.K. in our TC. It was one of the destinations Jeanie and I were recently talking about.
regards, as always, jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier