Micro-Start XP-1

poriggity

Explorer
I can get a set of 6ga cables for under $20.

If I'm new to overlanding, or camping, or traveling on the road constantly, I'm probably more willing to spend the money to upgrade my vehicle to a dual battery system (not that expensive, can be done for under $150).

Now, if I were a guy who was constantly driving other people's vehicles, or fleet vehicles, and had enough bad experiences where I routinely needed to jump my self to get going, then yeah, I could see spending money on this for sheer portability.

Interesting. I was at harbor freight the other day and their 6ga jumpers were $55.. And that's about the cheapest place for tools and parts I can think of. Where can you get cables for $20 because I'd like to buy a set if they are that cheap.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
And six-gauge is pretty thin.

In any case, there's an important accessory you need to make jumper cables work that you don't with the Micro-start: another vehicle.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I bought one of these based on the comments by Mark -Crawer976 here on Expo and confirmed by Jonathan's review. Love it as a backup for the wife's car, my street truck (which my kids use and can leave radio/lights on with ease) and even my Suburbasarus camping rig. Even with big dual batteries it is nice to power a laptop or charge a phone inside a tent.

Best of all is the size for moto trips. Even my younger son can find a place for this on his KLX400 running minimalist style.

While I bought the more fancy unit this first time now that I have used it I will buy at least one more but the simple unit. All our phones use USB and mine didn't come with a cig lighter socket anyway and that is the only other adapter I would need.

cactusjk

Explorer
I picked up an XP-1 for travel and use at home. After carrying a larger unit a while before that I will never go back!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I like the basic kit. Battery and jumper cables and maybe a USB port. I actually keep an external battery charger for my phone. Just a cheap one off ebay and it works great. I'm assuming this is a similar concept only for vehicles and camping. I can really see this working for farmers too, who sometimes don't run their tractors for months at a time. When I worked as a sales rep for Tractor Supply Co. I had plenty of customers come in for battery boxes w/ shoulder straps for just this reason. About half of my customers were old timers with bad backs, so this would be PERFECT for them as well, if it will work of course. The CCA requirments for most smaller utility gas powered tractors are around 600-1000 amps, so I'm not too concerned.

I wouldn't get rid of jumper cables just yet. While you do need another vehicle to use them, if the box gets damaged or lost or drained, its nice to have another backup. I also run dual batteries as well, but jumper cables are something EVERYONE should keep in a vehicle, and that goes double for people like us. In fact, I also keep a jump box in there. Just a cheap version I got from O'Riely's as a backup. It even came in handy a few times.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have received a faulty unit. When I received it in June of this year I charged it fully and placed the pack in my wife's car. After a month or so she needed to use it and it was dead. I didn't know what happened or why it was fully discharged, but charged it again. Last week we needed to use it and again it was dead. I tried to charge it and it will not fully charge. That night , using a small USB light I turned it on and let it run all night. In the morning it was dead. That low draw LED light should not have fully discharged the battery. So again I tried to charge the battery pack and it will not fully charge the last light.
The first one I bought I keep in my truck. It has been AWESOME! That was the reason I later bought one for my wife. I am very sad the second purchased unit was not functioning properly.
Today I contacted Antigravity Batteries to see if I can make an exchange for a working unit. We will see how well they stand behind their product and judge their customer service.
I have been a supporter and advocate for their fine product. I have my fingers crossed that they will step up and make things right.

Other than a report of a defective set of jumper cables, have their been any other packs that have had similar problems?

4xdog

Explorer
I have a girlfriend who lives alone and relies on her 2011 4Runner to run her dog-sitting business. She got a Microgravity XP-3 after learning about mine earlier in the year.

Her battery in the CA Central Valley started to die a couple of weeks ago. She was able to self-jump twice at client's houses after dark before she got a new battery. She's sold on the concept for the independence, convenience, and security it gave her. One of her clients is going to give them as stocking stuffers to the grandchildren based on her experience.

I think it's a terrific product.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Long term feedback...
I have had mine for a while now and move it between my son's motos when they go on weekend rides, my wife's SUV and my rig when going into the wild.
Used it over and over, from jump starting to the boys charging cell phones. Love it and will buy another to cut down on trying to remember which vehicle we last left it in.
However the next one will be just the battery/jumper cable as all the other little bits have never been used.

java

Expedition Leader
I have received a faulty unit. When I received it in June of this year I charged it fully and placed the pack in my wife's car. After a month or so she needed to use it and it was dead. I didn't know what happened or why it was fully discharged, but charged it again. Last week we needed to use it and again it was dead. I tried to charge it and it will not fully charge. That night , using a small USB light I turned it on and let it run all night. In the morning it was dead. That low draw LED light should not have fully discharged the battery. So again I tried to charge the battery pack and it will not fully charge the last light.
The first one I bought I keep in my truck. It has been AWESOME! That was the reason I later bought one for my wife. I am very sad the second purchased unit was not functioning properly.
Today I contacted Antigravity Batteries to see if I can make an exchange for a working unit. We will see how well they stand behind their product and judge their customer service.
I have been a supporter and advocate for their fine product. I have my fingers crossed that they will step up and make things right.

Other than a report of a defective set of jumper cables, have their been any other packs that have had similar problems?

Mine is dead too. I posted here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...2537&highlight=lithium+jump+packs#post1702537 on 10/3, fully charged it that night, went out and checked after seeing your post and its dead. none of the indicator lights come on....

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I did get an email response. I was asked to contact the "authorized" seller. Mine was purchased from an Amazon reseller so I don't see any recourse there. I told them this and await a response. I do not wish to speculate on the course this will take, but I do hope they will stand behind their product :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles