Micro-Start XP-1

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I just received a Micro-Start XP-1 from Antigravity batteries, and gave it a good workout. It's an impressive piece of kit, and could well render your jumper cables obsolete. The review is up on OT&T.

toddz69

Explorer
After reading about this unit several months ago and reading some good reviews, I decided to purchase one for myself. It'll be a handy accessory to have in the daily driver and also on longer trips in the Bronco - a little piece of mind for times when I can't push start the truck now that it has an automatic transmission.

One nit - I don't know how much I'll use it for charging an iPhone or Mac laptop on the go, but the veritable plethora of adapters does not include pieces for an iPhone 5 or a Mac laptop.

Todd Z.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Todd, the XP-1 is the wrong voltage for a Mac laptop, I was disappointed to discover (19 volts rather than the 16 Apple uses, IIRC). But it should work on an iPhone with the right adapter.

clandr1

Adventurer
For $140 I could buy a spare car battery and install it. Interesting device, but until the cost comes down, I just don't see it gaining traction.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
... Interesting device, but until the cost comes down, I just don't see it gaining traction.
I do. I have had battery jump packs for a long time. They are handy, but like you say the size of an automotive battery. They need to be maintained. Periodic charging is required.
What makes these better?
Smaller in size and weight. I can stow it under my back seat, in the glove box, on the motorcycle, heck even in my back pocket. Fits right into the pocket on my solar panel case. Perfect for my BOB.
Holds a charge a very long time. It is advertised to hold full charge for a year. That I can not yet attest to. Not having to charge more than monthly to maintain is an advantage.
Multi-functional. 5v charging for cell phones with every possible adapter included. LED Flashlight. Laptop charger. Jump start the vehicle. Run my fridge in a pinch.
Cost. I will grant you that they are on the upper side, but not when compared to a fullsize AGM battery, or a good size jump start pack. I think they are in the right price point.

I do have two fullsize batteries in my truck. I can still justify it for running the fridge. I am not sure I would have installed the second one now that this is around. I might have risked my starting battery. It builds lots of confidence to have the lithium jump pack and solar panel :)

Now that I have had one , I am seriously considering another for the wife's car. Peace of mind for both of us.

Last edited:

clandr1

Adventurer
For folks who have money to burn, yeah, it's a very cool accessory with a lot of nice features, but I don't see the general public diving into this item at that price.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
So the XP3 has the same jump start abilities as the XP1 just not all the accessory plugs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

poriggity

Explorer
For folks who have money to burn, yeah, it's a very cool accessory with a lot of nice features, but I don't see the general public diving into this item at that price.

Call me crazy, but a decent set of jumper cables, or a jumper box is gonna run ya $75-100 anyway.. For a few more bucks, you get nice portability and adaptability...

clandr1

Adventurer
Call me crazy, but a decent set of jumper cables, or a jumper box is gonna run ya $75-100 anyway.. For a few more bucks, you get nice portability and adaptability...

I can get a set of 6ga cables for under $20.

If I'm new to overlanding, or camping, or traveling on the road constantly, I'm probably more willing to spend the money to upgrade my vehicle to a dual battery system (not that expensive, can be done for under $150).

Now, if I were a guy who was constantly driving other people's vehicles, or fleet vehicles, and had enough bad experiences where I routinely needed to jump my self to get going, then yeah, I could see spending money on this for sheer portability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke