Please review my wiring for Aux rear LEDs

tweeek

Observer
Can someone review my diagram for my rear aux leds? I have to order 2x flushmount LEDs to install in my rrar bumper. I am trying to figure out how to wire them. I have the following conditions:

1- Turn on/off from I side the cab
2- Turn on/off from the rear
3- Turn on/off automatically with reverse lights

I understand basic circuits, but relays etc are fairly new to me.

Is there a simpler way to do this?

Thanks

arabybas.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Explorer
Looks good to me.
Only thing is you will have to shut the lights off from where you turned them on at (say if you turned them on from the inside switch, you'll have to turn them back off inside, you won't be able to use the outside switch to turn them off (not like you can the hall light at each end of the hallway in most homes). There are ways to set it up so you can turn them on & off from either spot, though the wiring gets much more complicated.

Something I would still do is add a switch to bypass the reverse trigger so you can keep them off completely if you ever need to (say you're backing into camp, you don't want to blind someone trying to sleep in their tent, for example).

4RunAmok

Explorer
Looks good to me.
Only thing is you will have to shut the lights off from where you turned them on at.

Not entirely true.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6784t114/=rhfyqs

More complicated, yes, more wires run to each switch. Only one of these relays would be needed, but you could add as many switches as you want.

The only problem with this method is the switches would need to be momentary, some research would need to be performed if you intend to use back-up lights as a switch.

4x4junkie

Explorer

That's a great idea (that would make it much simpler than wiring it in a 3-way fashion as in the hall light example). I suspect another (standard) relay for the reverse trigger could be used as a bypass around the latching unit and still have the lights come on when shifted into reverse (the relay's contacts will be in parallel, and either relay being energized will turn the lights on).

This is provided it's 5-watt power draw isn't something that is continuous anyway (only while it is "On").

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94