100 LC Transfer case gear noise

F5driver

Adventurer
I posted this on Mud but I thought to check here too.

Just in time for my first Cruise Moab..... My transfer case has an audible rumble and gear noise that changes between acceleration coasting. The dealer is going to break it open and investigate. From what I know the TC is pretty stout and any failures are rare. Anyone else experience a similar problem? I believe the TC is common with an 80 too. Any ideas as to possible causes?

Sempertoy

Explorer
I doubt it's the t case. I was experiencing this exact same Issue in my 80. I pulled the front drive shaft and that eliminated the noise. Check u joints and any other front end drive line components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Elk

Observer
As a Tacoma owner I can't exactly offer any suggestion other than Sempertoy's. I had an identical noise 20, 000 miles ago. It was a worn rear u-joint transfering vibrations through the driveline. It was a $20 repair. There was a discernable amount of play in the driveshaft and the failure came on quickly as the bearing deteriorated within a few days. Hopefully this is your issue as well.

F5driver

Adventurer
Thanks. I did check the driveshafts for play. They seemed fine to me but I'm no expert. The dealer had it up on the rack and said the noise definitely came from the TC. I certainly hope it's not the case.

Last edited:

F5driver

Adventurer
After the skids were removed for closer inspection it's determined not to be the TC. Whew... The culprit is the front diff. Waiting to hear what the damage is.

Sempertoy

Explorer
thats a relief. but I never really thought it was the t case to begin with, they are pretty durn stout. Diff could be a few things, pinion bearings, bad ring gear. Have you done any serious offroading? If its getting opened up anyway, might as well put an ARB in there ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles