New to Expedition world and would appreciate any help/advice

TXoutlaw

Hello all!

I am new to expedition world, but have absolutely 100% fallen in love with it. Everything about it seems to talk to me. My wife and I have talked and both agree that we would like to start experiencing this for ourselves, but I could use some help and advice from the experienced travelers here.

I will give you some background so you know what I am working with. I bought my 1st Jeep back in August of 2012 and since have made the following mods.

2009 JKU Rubicon (pre-owned 1 owner bone stock 48,000 original when purchased 55,000 currently)
18" XD Hoss wheels x5
33" Nitto Terra Grappler tires x5
Rough Country 2.5" "budget boost" lift
Smittybilt Flat Fender Flares
Smittybilt Spare Tire Carrier
N-Fab Steps ( got a vertically challenged wife and have to keep her happy :) )
Mid-width factory front bumper
Rugged Ridge bull bar with KC Hi-lites Slimlites on front bumper
PIAA 520 ATP's 55 watt lights on "A" Pillar
replaced factory AM/FM antenna with stubby low profile
Cobra 19 mounted above the rear view mirror
Super Chips Flashpac

Here is a couple of recent pics to show you what I am working with. I am basically looking for info and advice on how to set it up as a fully sustainable expedition vehicle. Again I appreciate any and all help and advice. And thank you for taking the time to help out a neewb!

IMG_2122_zpsac88acb5.jpg

IMG_2089_zpsd6e31d84.jpg

IMG_2090_zps284ba763.jpg

jpat30

Adventurer
Welcome to the party; Really nice looking Jeep you got there. Good to see another TX jeep on the boards. What part of TX you from?

Septu

Explorer
Nice looking JK. Love the fenders! But they sure don't keep the sides clean (I have the same ones).

As for what you need... Pack some basic supplies - cooler or fridge for some food, tent/sleeping bag/mattress, minimal cooking supplies (stove, kettle, pan, couple dishes). A lawn chair or two and a flashlight/lantern is also nice to have. Well at least for those of you down south where it gets dark in the summer (I mean ****** is with that!?).

But the biggest thing you need?

Time to get out there!!
Everything else you can figure out as you go. Start with your basics. Pack some food and sleep in the back of the jeep. None of it really matters... just get out there and go!

Many many people (myself included - likely near the top of that list) have spent thousands on gear (don't ask about all the money I've spent on different lights). My jeep build is up over 10k, not counting the lift that was just ordered or my trailer. It's all really nice to have, and makes the experience easier and pretty comfortable. It gives me faster setup/take down times... But for all of that... I still need to find the time to get out there in the sticks - well further in the sticks lol - I'm already half way there!! :D.

So my recommendation is to grab the basics and get out there and go! From there figure out what you need and want. Just make sure to have enough to keep the wife happy so she will want to go again in the future. Start with a couple of short camping trips just to figure out what you need/want for future trips.

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Welcome...there are some real experts on functional lighting for the JK on this forum. Also keep in mind that keeping add ons and extras simple not only keeps the weight down, but means that there is less stuff to break. The Rubicon stock is very capable and will go 99% of the places you want. If the Rubicon is having a hard time you may want to reconsider getting there.

There are some great posts...one of my favorite is called "mods you wouldn't do again" 37 pages of people sharing what mods they did not like or did not work out...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/5175-mods-you-wouldnt-do-again

Also cool stickers....:costumed-smiley-007.....my philosophy on guns and jeeps...keep it simple stupid

Last edited:

Mr. King

Undecided

As for what you need... Pack some basic supplies - cooler or fridge for some food, tent/sleeping bag/mattress, minimal cooking supplies (stove, kettle, pan, couple dishes). A lawn chair or two and a flashlight/lantern is also nice to have. Well at least for those of you down south where it gets dark in the summer (I mean ****** is with that!?).

Time to get out there!!
Everything else you can figure out as you go. Start with your basics. Pack some food and sleep in the back of the jeep. None of it really matters... just get out there and go!

So my recommendation is to grab the basics and get out there and go! From there figure out what you need and want. Just make sure to have enough to keep the wife happy so she will want to go again in the future. Start with a couple of short camping trips just to figure out what you need/want for future trips.

⇪
⇪ ⇪ ⇪ ⇪
​What he said!

Mr. King

nickmimi

Adventurer
Nice Jeep. Is that an ARFCOM BFL sticker on the passenger side?

The more you get out and go, the easier it is to figure out what you need/want to make it more enjoyable and fun.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
A couple of likeminded friends go along way too. install CB's and have a blast out in the backcountry. Drive the wheels off it and figure out what you want to change. but drive it as is for now to figure out what you need.

My friend and Myself go a fair bit and have made a pretty good list of what WE need. depending on if the trailers go long as well. Then you have more room to take extra comforts.

TXoutlaw

My suggestion would be some better tires, those don't appear to self-clean well at all. And some mud flaps.

Working on a different set of tires now. Looking at the Nitto Trail grapplers. Though I will say that picture was taken just as I pulled out of a clay Horse race track, they actually do pretty well. I appreciate the advice on mud flaps, but those just aren't my style.

TXoutlaw

Welcome...there are some real experts on functional lighting for the JK on this forum. Also keep in mind that keeping add ons and extras simple not only keeps the weight down, but means that there is less stuff to break. The Rubicon stock is very capable and will go 99% of the places you want. If the Rubicon is having a hard time you may want to reconsider getting there.

There are some great posts...one of my favorite is called "mods you wouldn't do again" 37 pages of people sharing what mods they did not like or did not work out...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/5175-mods-you-wouldnt-do-again

Also cool stickers....:costumed-smiley-007.....my philosophy on guns and jeeps...keep it simple stupid

I will check that link out, thank you I really do appreciate the advice and help. Yeah the stickers a re a work in progress. I am very picky about what goes on MY Jeep

Welcome to the forum. This is a link to one of my favorite articles about setting up your vehicle.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/res...ndments-of-modifying-an-overland-vehicle.html

Follow Scott's advice and you can't go wrong. Enjoy.

I will check it out. Thanks!

A couple of likeminded friends go along way too. install CB's and have a blast out in the backcountry. Drive the wheels off it and figure out what you want to change. but drive it as is for now to figure out what you need.

My friend and Myself go a fair bit and have made a pretty good list of what WE need. depending on if the trailers go long as well. Then you have more room to take extra comforts.

I am working on finding some friends that would be interested, but right now all of them that I talk to is either full blown mud buggy ( which I just don't see the point cause they are ALWAYS breaking stuff ) or hardcore rock crawling ( which doesn't do anything at all for me. ) I want to go places only a few people have been and see some of the most beautiful things God ever created and do it in my Jeep and be fully self-reliant.

Nice looking JK. Love the fenders! But they sure don't keep the sides clean (I have the same ones).

Time to get out there!!

Many many people (myself included - likely near the top of that list) have spent thousands on gear (don't ask about all the money I've spent on different lights). My jeep build is up over 10k, not counting the lift that was just ordered or my trailer. It's all really nice to have, and makes the experience easier and pretty comfortable. It gives me faster setup/take down times... But for all of that... I still need to find the time to get out there in the sticks - well further in the sticks lol - I'm already half way there!! :D.

I have a spreadsheet started with a list of what I think I may need. Hopefully next month the wife and I are going to go out to Big Bend and try some of their trails, just to "get out feet wet" and then make adjustments and additions from there. But like I said above Thank you all for the advice and help I am very appreciative and enjoying learning about this wonderful hobby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94