Multiple Pelican Case system

Hello Everyone, I am looking to install 3(or 4) Pelican cases into the rear of my truck, with a flat bed above all of them.

I have a 1990 4runner and here is the rear right now with 1/4 Closed cell foam
J7O39ox.png

I was looking to either put 1 long one on one side, with 2 smaller on the other side (one for camera gear and one the pelican case Cooler)
or 4 all the same size as the smallest cooler.

I do not want to stack these, as for offroading and general use I would like a 1 level system.
I was thinking of maybe setting up two rows that would slide out on drawer sliders attached to flat platforms.
OR possibly a pulley system to try and reach the ones that would be tucked back further.

Any other ideas are welcomed and pictures would be great, or even things like links to the best for your money hinges and what wood is best to use etc.

Or if anyone thinks its a stupid idea and there are better alternatives i'd love to hear it.

I do not have unlimited funds however, id like total cost of this to be about $600-700, including lockable safe foam either drawers or storage that will be the best of quality.

Thanks!

screwball48

Explorer
Are you planning on having the rear seats folded down, folded up, or removed. I have a 2007 4runner and recently purchased a 35Q pelican cooler. If you would like i can take a picture in the back of mine for reference (cant fold seats due to car seats though).

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Here's the system I built several years ago and still using. It's a wooden platform with 2 inch holes cut into the platform and cam straps pulled through the holes to lash down the Pelican cases. The fridge is mounted to the Engel mount and the water cans are held in place by some custom steel racks.

Good luck with your build!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 75

Honu

lost on the mainland
Unless you really need pelicans ?
Skip em if they are inside protected and not moving expensive stuff I would look at other lighter options
I use them for my photo gear used some for me camping stuff found it heavy and overkill
I am a photographer for a living past 15 years so my gear is my life in a sense but daily use I just use soft bags :)
Expensive gear OK other gear again my thoughts pelicans are heavy pain overkill :)
If you are doing a platform ? Maybe making some long pull out wood drawers under could be better use of space etc..

Check surplus stores for pelican like cases to on the cheap :)

screwball48

Explorer
The storage area of my 4runner is roughly 42.5" between the wheel wells and 39.5" from the back of the seats to the trim at the rear hatch. The factory cargo shelf is 10" high. With the cooler in and the shelf folded down there is 19" between cooler and wheel well, and 14" from cooler to hatch trim. I do have the head rest turned around so that they do not hit my car seats.
7ageqyqe.jpg
adeja9ah.jpg

The storage area of my 4runner is roughly 42.5" between the wheel wells and 39.5" from the back of the seats to the trim at the rear hatch. The factory cargo shelf is 10" high. With the cooler in and the shelf folded down there is 19" between cooler and wheel well, and 14" from cooler to hatch trim. I do have the head rest turned around so that they do not hit my car seats.
7ageqyqe.jpg
adeja9ah.jpg

Wow, thank you very much this is VERY helpful. Looks like it takes a lot more space than i anticipated.

RobRed

Explorer
Bagels are you a southbay guy? I thought I saw you post in the meet and greet.

I use various pelicans as part of my storage and camping solution. Let me know if you want to take a look and size it.

Bagels are you a southbay guy? I thought I saw you post in the meet and greet.

I use various pelicans as part of my storage and camping solution. Let me know if you want to take a look and size it.

Yes I am, That would be great! maybe sometime in June! I'll message you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles