General Grabber tires?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
My 2005 Frontier had these tires on it when I bought it. I've always liked the tread design, and I knew Expedition Overland ran them on their AK trip, but I am now seriously impressed with the AT2. I've only had the truck 2 weeks, but I drove 800 highway miles to get it, drove a pretty rugged and rocky trail with it the next weekend, then drove it up more sharp rocks yesterday. I've had them in sloppy mud, rocks, deep snow, gravel, and asphalt. They've been well mannered, quiet, don't throw many rocks. They deliver gobs of traction when you need it.

What really impresses me about them is that they are seriously tough. No chunking, and the sidewalls look like they're brand new. I am so impressed I'm just going to put a slightly larger set of AT2s on.

quaintbucket

Observer
Bought a set for my Tahoe, will be going on all my other trucks now (AT2), BFG A/T's and Dura Tracs until now, like the Generals a lot better, including heavy snow use.

This is really important to me with the snow use. do you have the snowflake symbol? I know they don't matter for most part but for the sake of the law (Coquihalla highway requires it or $fine).

SeattleFJs

Observer
I had a set of these on my FJ60 a few years back. They're honestly a great tire! Btw I live in Seattle. They got plenty of wet weather use and nary a problem.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am so tempted to try a set. Anyone running the 285s in the E load? are they stiff or are they softer. I know my ST Maxx had a horrible ride, but my BFGs in E ride very nice.

kayadog

Adventurer
I liked my Grabber AT2 but I would seriously look at Hankook ATM's too. they are about the same price and are a more modern design. They are about equal off road, with the Grabber with the slight win, but the Hankook is much better on the road. The Generals have a cool old school look though.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I put a set of 30x9.5 (converts to 241/79r15) on my little blazer. I bought them for their mountain snowflake rating and tougher construction than a passenger tire but honestly I don't do much off roading. They did well pulling my firebird on a car trailer through a foot of snow in the back yard at the farm, love that low range power.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I put a set of 30x9.5 (converts to 241/79r15) on my little blazer. I bought them for their mountain snowflake rating and tougher construction than a passenger tire but honestly I don't do much of roading. They did well pulling my firebird on a car trailer through a foot of snow in the back yard at the farm, love that low range power.

Braking on ice I slip a bit but even my dedicated snow tires last winter would do that.

Last edited:

katuah

Adventurer
Running Grabber AT2's 31 on my XJ; I took it out to Uwharrie last Saturday. Chatter on the local forums was that the trails were super-slick due to Carolina red clay mud from all the rain, but I had zero problems. They dug well, cleared well, and didn't get clumped up. So to the person asking about them in mud: thumbs up.

flightcancled

Explorer
I have them on my tacoma. Not nearly as good as my duratracs were in snow and ice even when I had worn them down to near bare. Not a bad all around tire though.

CodyY

Explorer
We've had great luck with the Red Letters on the big trucks. Softer ride than the BFG A/T's (35/12.50-17 on Diesel Ram), and better in mud and sand. Getting 40k out of a set on a truck making 800lb-ft

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior