Winch anchor

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Don't know, not into the RC toy thing. Sounds nice from the description, I guess.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've never heard of it.
All of the reviews and tests I've read on winch anchors has the Pull Pall coming out on top every time.
You get what you pay for.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Confirming everyone is on the same page. This is ~5 inches long as was built for a remote control car. Everyone up to speed there? :D

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Confirming everyone is on the same page. This is ~5 inches long as was built for a remote control car. Everyone up to speed there? :D

Yep. A real folding pull pal would be pretty cool but I would have to think would be quite finicky to make 1/10 scale.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Wow this is kinda embarrassing:oops:
I did a google search for a pull pal and that came up with all the other stuff

Well, I wouldn't use it on my bronco. lol.

Okay, assuming that there is an actual full sized version of this anchor, I still wouldn't use it. The spade portion would only be about 6 to 8 inches wide. Not really enough for anchoring in sand IMO, and that's the only time I'd need an anchor like this one. The rest of the time, I'd just use a 4 foot T-post. You can buy a good one for less than $5. Just hammer it into the ground at an angle pointing away from the stuck vehicle, wrap a chain around at the base and you'll be good to go. If you feel one isn't enough, get two or more and that will be plenty. They're light enough to be used as pry bars and you can sharpen the tip ends to make it easier to drive them into the ground. The T shaped construction make them incredibly durable in terms of flexing and bending. The only real alteration I'd suggest is fully welding the spade portion onto the shaft, but otherwise, they're extremely tough. And you can get them in lengths from 4 to 12 feet long. I recommend the shortest one since that is easiest to drive into the ground with a hammer or ax.

I admit, pulling them back out can be a bear, but since they're at an angle and you have a winch, you can probably use that to pull them up if its too hard to do by hand. Or use a shovel and dig it out. My point being the T-post is a cheap and affective alternative to anchors in most terrains that don't include dry desert like sand.

studded-t-post.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't use it on my bronco. lol.

Okay, assuming that there is an actual full sized version of this anchor, I still wouldn't use it. The spade portion would only be about 6 to 8 inches wide. Not really enough for anchoring in sand IMO, and that's the only time I'd need an anchor like this one. The rest of the time, I'd just use a 4 foot T-post. You can buy a good one for less than $5. Just hammer it into the ground at an angle pointing away from the stuck vehicle, wrap a chain around at the base and you'll be good to go. If you feel one isn't enough, get two or more and that will be plenty. They're light enough to be used as pry bars and you can sharpen the tip ends to make it easier to drive them into the ground. The T shaped construction make them incredibly durable in terms of flexing and bending. The only real alteration I'd suggest is fully welding the spade portion onto the shaft, but otherwise, they're extremely tough. And you can get them in lengths from 4 to 12 feet long. I recommend the shortest one since that is easiest to drive into the ground with a hammer or ax.

I admit, pulling them back out can be a bear, but since they're at an angle and you have a winch, you can probably use that to pull them up if its too hard to do by hand. Or use a shovel and dig it out. My point being the T-post is a cheap and affective alternative to anchors in most terrains that don't include dry dessert like sand.

studded-t-post.jpg

A greater than great idea. I just so happen to be something of a farmer and have lots of them laying around! Thanks

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
A greater than great idea. I just so happen to be something of a farmer and have lots of them laying around! Thanks

Where do you think I got the idea! lol. I like to laugh at over priced products that don't do squat compared to what a little farmer know-how and imagination can do.

The picture you posted, though a RC product, is a reproduction of a Danforth style anchor. Ground Grabber makes a "LIFE SIZE" :)Wow1: couldn't resist) version, but I have not seen them in the US.

http://www.extreme4x4.co.uk/acatalog/GROUND_GRABBER.html

Funny but thanks, I may just stick with the fence post idea. They cost around $5.00. If I can't get it back out, the BLM gets something else to attach itself to and hopefully will never harm another cow in the name of solar tortoises....

robgendreau

Explorer
Don't feel bad. Others have queried about 1/10 scale MaxTrax too.

But somehow I don't think this design would work with RC trucks either.

01tundra

Explorer
Since most of the fence post above the spade section wouldn't be doing any work, I guess one could cut the post a couple feet above the spade to avoid carrying an entire fence post (for us space-challenged types).

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If you can find room for an ax or hammer big enough to pound the 4 ft t-post into the ground, you can find room for the t-post without cutting it up. You can drill holes in it and mount it next to your hi-lift jack. Just paint it black and/or red to match and don't tell people how much you paid for your "hi-lift anchor" post.

Also, what you're forgetting, or not realizing, is how much that part you're wanting to cut off is needed to pull the thing back out! You're gonna need to drive the post in about 18 inches, at the least, say 2 ft to be sure. You're gonna want that extra 2 feet to pull the thing back out. DON'T leave it on the trail either. Yes, its cheap and disposable, but if you leave it there, driven into the ground, someone can pop a tire real easily on it. I see it all the time when someone buys a farm around here and they run across t-posts that were cut or broken off at ground level.

They also work great as spits for campfires and prybars. If you're an extreme camper, you can get the taller, 8-12 ft, ones and use them as tent posts. You'll have to cap the top ends somehow, but they'll never break and won't pull out of the ground either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior