D2 Drivetrain Swap?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Oh I know everything in it can be built back to new, but at what cost? Rover parts are high, very high compared to say a 4bt or a chevy Ls.

I highly doubt you're going to swap anything into these for less than what it would cost to just fix the stock drivetrain.

dustin_mud

Observer
4bt is too tall to fit, you'll be bashing the oil pan into the diff if I recall correctly. There is an Isuzu diesel engine that works really well in them, although I've forgotten which engine. I've seen a few D2's with those. The transmission and transfer box on them are PRETTY stout, so I wouldn't really worry about them too much beyond regular PM. Rover engines are just a little hit and miss in my opinion. Some people put 250k miles on them and never have a problem, some people blow head gaskets every 50k. I had innumerable troubles with my 4.0 in my D2. Then there are other folks who never have a single issue. So, are they reliable? Yes. Are they all reliable? No.

I've seen enough of them that have lasted forever to have faith that they can be a reliable platform. But they require more PM than most.

Seems if I mount the 4bt back all the way with a lift it should be ok, friend of mine mounted a 6bt in toyota fj80 so I'm sure I can make a 4bt work.

sedat

Adventurer
FJ80s have bigger bays.

if you're gonna swap in some big heavy diesel the 6.2/6.5 fit. you could make a 6.6 fit with modifications.

also: lol at the LS prices these days. If you're gonna christmas tree the dash go all the way and put a NV4500 behind it with an adapter. They're out there, just search!.
Scared of having to deal with the 4hp22E? swap in the mechanical from a disco1/rrc. You an rebuild a 4hp22 mechanical to 4hp24 specs and not explode it.

LS1/ engines and aluminum 5.3s weigh about the same as the rover lump
the iron 5.3/6.0 etc weigh about 100lb more.

weight weenies be damned. do what you want with the truck. I laugh at the guys that scream don't swap a sbc in it weighs too much! Yet they hang 600lb off a roof rack and boast about it!

If you aren't retarded the drivetrain can handle extra power. My prior 4.6 was making 5.3 numbers and never broke stuff. but I didn't stab the skinny pedal like a retarded monkey with a thumb in his hind end.

I am about 95% sure I'm swapping my 4.6 for a 5.3/ls1 later this year.

roverandom

Adventurer
Why are these comments always #1 from people in the rover world?

Because it's true. They made/sold loads of DII's, they are the Ford Taurus of the Rover world.

I see no reason at all to spend that much time and effort making different engines and transmissions "work" on something as common as a DII only to end up with a vehicle that is worth almost nothing and half the original options don't work?

Just go buy another DII and scrap/part out the broken unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94