Time for a new Jeep?

schmugboy

Observer
So this is a bit of story, a question, and some whining. Read if you want, comments would be awesome, flames also accepted.
Back in 09' I traded in my awesome 01'XJ for what I thought would be my last Jeep (barring accident or it falling apart). I was ready to go do some real off-roading and preceded to start modifying as my budget allowed. I intended to do mostly rock crawling, that was until I found this site, and said hey this is what I used to do as a kid, but my dad never called it overlanding, it was just camping. So plans changed. Now after 5 years and getting a vehicle that I'm happy with it seems I missed the biggest part of why I was doing this. To take my family, now with kids in sports (every weekend and most weekdays), a wife recovering from an accident, and lots of local trails being closed. My overlanding capable jeep is now a mini-van. I've only done about 10 trips in the last three years, and wonder if it is time to get a new "civilized" jeep to do my daily driving, and family truckster duties, but still have some capability to go off the beaten path, just maybe not as far as my JKUR could take me. I've been looking at these new Diesel Grand Cherokee's and while outrageously expensive that may be my next vehicle. So my question is if given I intend to get a WKII is the diesel the best choice, and if so should I get the Off-Road II package that has the air suspension and obstacle tuning (which I think means you can't add a lift or bigger tires) or go with the base off-road package and keep my overlanding modifications open. Realize that the main reason for trading in the JKUR is to have a vehicle that can 1. Haul family around comfortably 2. Pull a 5000+lb trailer (wife is done sleeping in tents after accident) 3. Have some capability to go off-road (most of my off-roading now is primarily forest roads, everything else seems restricted in my area) 4. Get better MPG.

If you care to offer some advice, criticisms, or no response at all that's fine. It's not like I don't like my Jeep anymore, it is just a shame not to use it to it's fullest potential.

Thanks,

Schmug

91AzXJ

Adventurer
Life changes and fast! My wife and I used to love to go tent camping and then my daughter came along and we graduated to a pop-up camper which we enjoyed for a number of years. As my daughter grew up, she didn't want to go camping and eventually the camper went away. We would do some offroading (mostly day trips) but occasionally an overnight camping trip. My daughter grew up and found out she liked offroading so it was a bit easier to do stuff with time being the biggest factor. Then my wife was diagnosed with cancer and that was a game changer. We went through a year and a half of hell but she is cured of the cancer but now lives with the issues caused by the treatment which will prevent us from ever camping again. I have made a few trips with my daughter but it gets harder the older she gets as she has her life and I have mine.

My wife and I are finally going to get away for the first time in three years this May when we attend the expo in Flagstaff. Even though we will stay in a hotel, it is still progress and something to look forward to. As long as your family is willing and able to get out there with you, get the vehicle that works for your needs, enjoy the time you have and don't sweat the small stuff.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
While I understand that owning 5 vehicles is not for everyone, having a car for each hobby might be the answer. We have a Chevy diesel truck for towing and hauling things and trips to Lowe's, a Grand Cherokee on long arms and 35's for the tougher trails, a Montero(seats 7) on 33's for lighter trails and fishing/hunting, a Mazda 3 for commuting and high mpg's, and a Miata for our date nights and fun cruising. Most of our cars could be used to serve multiple purposes, but we like having the options if needed. All are paid for, registered, and insured, just wish we had a bigger garage!

As some have mentioned, our interests change over time. I grew up doing a lot of camping with my family and my dad never owned a 4wd, but we covered many miles of logging roads to find fishing spots. I got away from fishing for about 15 years during which I got into the rock crawling hobby, 3 years ago I got back into fishing and hunting and prefer scenic family trails to go fishing over rock crawling. This is why we bought the Montero that may be replacing the Jeep, so time will tell.

p nut

butter
From what you're describing, a Ram would be a better choice. It will tow better, haul better, and get better MPG than your JKU. The main benefit, again, will be towing, as I would not be happy towing 5k+ lbs with a GC (regardless of what the stated factory capacity is)..

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Lots of interesting advice here. I think you are asking the right questions. I went through something similar in the last few years. I was a single Dad with two kids who had been camping and four wheeling with me their entire lives. It was what we did for weekends off, vacations, etc... Then things began to change... I got remarried, kids hit teenage years and had less time for trips, had another son, lost well built 2003 Rubi to a fire, bought a 2000 TJ, wife bought a pop up :), I bought a land rover discovery to pull it (mistake), went to a 2001 Cherokee and now am in my 05 LJ Rubi... which can pull the camper fine... and now wife just bought a Tacoma 4 door... that we will use for pulling the pop up. Ugghhh... makes me tired just typing it all out.

Your heart will miss your current jeep. I love the xj platform, but it was not the same. I loved the ride and camaraderie experienced in the land rover, but for me... I am a soft top Jeep guy... Some say it's just a vehicle, but because of a lifetime of memories built up, it is part of me.

For right now, I am going to stop typing and head out for a wheeling day trip on my own. Oldest kids are moved out (one getting married - and hey, they are getting married in a campground one in college. My four year old is asleep down stairs because my wife doesn't like to rock crawl and does not want the little wild man out there with just me yet. So I get a just me trip. In a couple years the young'n will go with me, mama will have a just her day... and we will still be camping together and doing the "softroading" part of our sport together, exploring, scenery, etc...

Good luck with your decision. I vote keep your jeep. Modify as needed... pay it off and keep it, even if you have to buy another type of vehicle for the family stuff.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94