1995 Montero roaming the midwest [Build]

Kumquat

Hello everybody!

I am a new and proud owner of a good lookin' '95 Monty SR, with the winter package. I've been trying to find a good trail vehicle now for awhile and after a few failed buying attempts at a Landcruiser I found this gem. Its a bit of a tarnished gem, but so far its holding its own.

ss (2014-04-07 at 07.11.07).jpg

I have read KarmannMarco's thread and it seems we have a few of the same problems with idle speed, paint, and leather.

So far lined up for fixing:

Anti-Lock Brake light on
Missing belt from backside of engine
A/C blows out of only one vent (Damper doors?)
Odd idle speeds
Exhaust leak before cat
New gauge cluster (Tach doesn't read/Temp inaccurate)

Once those are all taken care of then I can get to the fun stuff. Its always work now, play later.

If anyone has some ideas of the cause of some of my early problems, speak up and I will listen and explain more. Only thing that makes builds better is the feeling of community.

Thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
That's a pretty little lady you have there, take care of her and she will take care of you. What do you mean by "belt" on the rear of the engine, I didn't know there was one back there.

Kumquat

I'll take a picture when I go out to do the sparkplugs today, after looking at the steps, its quite the task :Wow1:. I think it may be hooking up the compressor for the rear diff lock, as the button in the cab seems to do nothing and the display does not illuminate.

Also just got back from the dealership to let them fulfill the cargo mat recall and check my ABS, they said the whole unit for ABS was bad and it would be $1700, I'm going to call bull on that. I wish I had a OBD reader to track it myself. Will just have to dig through the service manual on it.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
Good find! Keep us updated as you progress through the build.
If you have an android device with bluetooth capabilities I would strongly recommend your to download the Torque app and buy a $15-$20 OBD2 bluetooth readers.
Mine has come in handy for sure. There's similar apps for apple devices too.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'll take a picture when I go out to do the sparkplugs today, after looking at the steps, its quite the task :Wow1:. I think it may be hooking up the compressor for the rear diff lock, as the button in the cab seems to do nothing and the display does not illuminate.

Also just got back from the dealership to let them fulfill the cargo mat recall and check my ABS, they said the whole unit for ABS was bad and it would be $1700, I'm going to call bull on that. I wish I had a OBD reader to track it myself. Will just have to dig through the service manual on it.

Yes, changing the plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets are quite the task. Did mine a few months ago and hated every minute of it.

Kumquat

Okay, my bold attempt to do the sparkplugs didn't end in victory, but I did manage to find some other things to do and clean up.

I found that the previous owner removed the adjustable rear shocks and instead of unplugging the connector, just snipped off the cable on the shock side of it. So there is still a connection point should I choose to install adjustables again.

I followed some air lines from the rear diff locker to the front and think the component that is unbelted (Pics below) is indeed a compressor. I'm assuming it has a clutch on it because I reached up and could freespin the pulley, but it feels like the bearings are shot (If it has bearings) otherwise it just feels not right.

Took off the rusted out and ugly running boards. (Pics below)

Moved a headliner grab handle from the 3rd row to the drivers seat, now I can actually pull myself up and in

Also got a quick video of it idling, to me it sounds like poor/late ignition, due to the sparkplugs probably not being changed since 1995 :D

Still not sure as to why the AC blows hot air, and why hot air blows even with the AC turned off and the thermostat turned to full cold, shouldn't it blow just whatever air is outside in?

WP_20140411_12_16_33_Pro.jpg WP_20140411_12_53_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20140411_13_15_23_Pro.jpg WP_20140411_14_01_30_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Howah

Observer
That belt you're missing is the a/c compressor belt. Rear locker compressor is located beneath the rear passenger seat behind the flip door.

Kumquat

That belt you're missing is the a/c compressor belt. Rear locker compressor is located beneath the rear passenger seat behind the flip door.

That explains multiple things. Thank you!

Gotta try and get the tensioner bolt out, last person to do it bent the head about 45 degrees, and get a new one from Ace Hardware.

EDIT: After looking under the flip door, I see the wire harness where the compressor and such USED to be. Everyday the parts list goes up, will have to travel to a U-Pull it and see what I can find.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles