Swing away tire carrier for a Suburban

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Grimy you old devil...

Has the 90-1 only power mirrors but i plan to use the front doors complete for the chalet frame off resto.
However i may have enough pieces to make a second set minus harness mods.

91 was the last year for the R/V's and the only year for the desired 4L80E. Ours has the standard issue 350-TH400(TH475 added via mosesburb in phx)-NP241 combo. As for the 4L80E...i do have a harness i removed from said equipt burb from our local boneyard a few years ago in a box with said special ecm to run a 4L80E.

Burb started out life in nevada grimy so the frame and body are straight and rust free. Paint is peeling due to the pos that painted it last but not rusting. L/S rear frame shock mount was replaced with phx based Fly-N-Hi's fab shops custom cure to the age old drivers side rear shock mount issue. Bein momma's taxi she is mechanicaly superb as my babies were in it all the time. Parting to recoup some of all the anal monies spent on up keep i'll never recoup ie: recent $1600 rebuild of the TH475....3 year old but 10K or less GM 4bolt crate...etc.

What are ya needin grimy...you know as an old friend i'll hook a brother up...if ya can find me a slightly decent M101A3 in fair shape...i may even take a well off and deliver if thee is a barby and some jack and cokes involved for old tymes sake...

DW

Last edited:

gprsdlyt

Adventurer
Reece04 said:
I have a 1990 1500 Suburban, My next upgrade is to move the Spare outside and mount it on a swing away tire carrier, The only replacement bumper that has this option built on is from Kenmtn.com, called the multicarrier http://www.kenmtn.com/html/multi-carrier.asp. If anyone else has see one that is better please let me know.

Thanks

over on some grand cherokee forums ive read that their swing aways never really mount up properly leaving you to grind/modify them so theyll fit.
hth.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Tire carriers for my Tahoe - links with info

Hello folks
I found this forum from a new member at a forum I have belonged to for a few years now: z71tahoe-suburban.com, which is free like this site, and is a wealth of information. My project truck is a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT that I am turning into an Expeditionary Vehicle.

I am posting here because I have done the spare tire carrier twice now for my truck. The first time, I had the basic framework built, and then mounted it to my factory bumper. Here is a complete write up on the work I did to it:

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=7186

But, as my truck progressed along and as I realized I needed something more heavy duty, I had one built by Kennesaw Mountain. Now, I realize that there is a LOT of bad press for the company on the internet, but I had seen none of it before making my purchase. My experience with Kyle was great, he communicated well and fixed a very minor problem that I ran into when I had gotten my bumper with no issues. I have no hesitations to recommend his company, and their product. It is not perfect, BUT, it is rock solid and I expect it to outlast me. Please note also, that the nice write up on the Nissan pickup truck Expeditionary Veh on the opening page of this site uses a KMA bumper.

As a caveat, I have zero interest in his company and am not getting anything in return from him. I just want others to know that all is not bad with KMA.

Anyway, here is my write up of my KMA bumper that I put on my Tahoe a few months ago:

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=14297

I went all out on the bumper: tow hooks, L.E.D. reverse lights, hi-lift mounts, CB antenna mount, and a split carrier - jerry can holder that opens to the left, while the tire carrier swings to the right. Jerry can holder is removable and stays off the truck for my around home journeys.

KMATahoeBumper1web.jpg

I have done lots and lots to my truck, with more stuff to come. Love this site, I am glad to have found other folks as enthusiastic about Expeditionary Vehicles as I am.

Last edited:

mrstang01

Adventurer
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the pics are missing on most of these posts, and I'd love an idea for my rear bumper tire carrier on my 94 Suburban.

Michael

I had a Rickard rear bumper on my now defunct F350CC. Very heavy, very heavy duty. Stong enough to carry a 325/85R16 XML on a 16X10" steel rim without breaking. It had a mount for 3 jerrycans on the other side.

Charlie

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Don't know how much this would help but see if you can get a Rear Tire Carrier from a late 80's Yukon or Blazer. I had one on my old 85 Blazer, it was from the factory and required bolting 2 hinged mounting brackets above and below the passenger side tail light, and a center mounted catch on the tailgate. I know there were a couple factory designs in the mid 80's, maybe check the junkyards for a useable unit.

Good Luck

jonathon

Don't know how much this would help but see if you can get a Rear Tire Carrier from a late 80's Yukon or Blazer. I had one on my old 85 Blazer, it was from the factory and required bolting 2 hinged mounting brackets above and below the passenger side tail light, and a center mounted catch on the tailgate. I know there were a couple factory designs in the mid 80's, maybe check the junkyards for a useable unit.

Good Luck

Unfortunately those have a habit of ripping up sheet metal even with stock sized tires.. best bet is bumper mounted.

dvani01

Has anyone else tried DIY4x?

I bought a swing away tire carrier/bumper from Kert for my 1990 Jimmy. Its hell for stout.

jonathon

Anything that comes out of Kert's shopping is going to be top of the line and well thought out :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles