Swing away tire carrier for a Suburban

Reece04

Observer
I have a 1990 1500 Suburban, My next upgrade is to move the Spare outside and mount it on a swing away tire carrier, The only replacement bumper that has this option built on is from Kenmtn.com, called the multicarrier http://www.kenmtn.com/html/multi-carrier.asp. If anyone else has see one that is better please let me know.

Thanks

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
PM Colorado Ron, he built one. Also look up his Suburban mod thread. It is very well built and thought out.

You may look into adapting a H2 bumper mount spare tire carrier, they seem to be around for fairly cheep and some also include a bumper.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Stay AWAY from Kennesaw Mt. Search the web and you will find out why.

I know Kyle and I just don't get it. When he wants he can do some incredible work but its not often that he wants too. I really hate to be negative but his reputation does proceed him.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/61147-does-anyone-have-any-information-about/
http://www.4x4review.com/discussions2/robots/1225.asp
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/001/ripoff0001866.htm

That was just on the first page when I googled them.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...esaw+Mountain+Accessories+problem&btnG=Search

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I have designed my own rear bumper with swing-away holder included. I've got it 95+% done. What remains is figuring out the latching method. I have a particular goal for the swinger (NO wobble when latched) and meeting that is the only way it'll get built. Unfortunately that complicates the latch design some. If there's interest I can export a jpg from SolidWorks & post it.

t0mills

Adventurer
ntsqd said:
I have designed my own rear bumper with swing-away holder included. I've got it 95+% done. What remains is figuring out the latching method. I have a particular goal for the swinger (NO wobble when latched) and meeting that is the only way it'll get built. Unfortunately that complicates the latch design some. If there's interest I can export a jpg from SolidWorks & post it.

I'm interested in seeing what you've come up with! I'm in the process of designing front and rear bumpers for my 95 Suburban, and was kicking around the idea of doing a swing out tire carrier.

I've attached a few pics of my progress so far. The rear bumper still needs some work, and I need to get the frame mounts and reinforcements done. From the model, it looks like I will have enough room to use the Warn 15k winches. It will be tight, but should turn out nice in the end. You can also see my roof rack design and frame sliders in these pics.

Also attached is a view of the rear bumper after it's been cut out, but not folded. The front bumper is designed the same way.

Tim

Last edited:

eugene

Explorer
I've been wanting to build one but can't figure out the hinge side if you mount to the bumper instead of the body then the support blocks the tail lights.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
With delivery/ambulance doors I don't have a tailgate, so the bumper has been designed to offer some working & cooking surface area. I'm keeping the swing to just the second door side so that the primary rear door can be opened without having to open the swinger too. Mine is a '91, last year of the older, squared body.

Attachments

• rear bumper assem 1.jpg
    rear bumper assem 1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 119
  • rear bumper assem 2.jpg
    rear bumper assem 2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Keeping it on the drivers side door is what I did - I have an '85 with the barn doors. Enables me to open the passenger side door, load or access items from the one side.

That being said, I'm deciding on how to mount twin spares and MFC cans on the rear, on two swing aways. More of a pain to deal with, day to day, but it'll increase capabilities quite a bit. Since this isn't a daily driver (much), I don't mind hanging more stuff on the outside. I'm still thinking that I'll integrate the hinges with a rear exo-hoop.

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I have built quite a few swingaways for jeeps, and I think all of you should take a look at the one colorado ron has. I have seen the hinge he used in person, and it is the beefiest one out there. I wouldn't hesitate to hang a
40" tire from that beast. I am waiting on 2 of those hinges to use for a split swingaway for my jeep camper build.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I already have all of the bits for mine. Section of GM 14bff axle tube with it's ID step-turned to fit 2 of the large pinion bearings from a Siata 208S (one from this actual car), and a section of 1-1/4" O1 for the spindle.
They're the only current hard parts for the above design. Had I not had access to these bits (everything except the O1 was free) I probably would have gone with an off the shelf option.

k5commando

oldcj5guy said:
I have built quite a few swingaways for jeeps, and I think all of you should take a look at the one colorado ron has. I have seen the hinge he used in person, and it is the beefiest one out there. I wouldn't hesitate to hang a
40" tire from that beast. I am waiting on 2 of those hinges to use for a split swingaway for my jeep camper build.

They are ready, BTW. Just got back from a well earned vacation so I'm a little behind! Shoot me a PM when your ready for them!

Last edited:

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Well...well...i see a few of the old CK5 gang kickin around here....lol.
Going to be dismantling the wifes old 90 V2500 burb...so i'll have some left overs. Need anything?

DW

toyrunner95

Explorer
your truck kinda looks like the one from dantes peak, i think a LC snorkel fits it, if u want to know. and also i think a LC swig out will bolt right on to the corner.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
1976K5Chalet said:
Well...well...i see a few of the old CK5 gang kickin around here....lol.
Going to be dismantling the wifes old 90 V2500 burb...so i'll have some left overs. Need anything?

DW

does it have a 4L80? Power mirrors? Whats the frame like? Body rusted out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles