Suburban 2500 2WD vs 4WD

DaveNay

Adventurer
OK, so I have been on the hunt for a Sub 2500 4WD. I have come across a '99 2WD with only 53,000 miles on it for only $4500!

My initial reaction was to take a pass on it, but realistically for most of my needs do I really need 4WD? Most of my use will be for state park camping, launching the boat or pulling a horse trailer.

Please give me some sage advice! This is going to be a quick deal or no deal.

Last edited:

MACAMN

Pass. I figure it's always better to have it (4wd) and not need it than to need it and not have it. Also, how long do you plan to keep whatever rig you end up buying? Your needs may change in the future and then you would have to start over. I would assume you see a fair amount of snow being in Northern Illinios. I drive a 2wd S10 in Minnesota and it's not an experience I would recommend.

amrush2112

I have a 94 K2500 4x4 with a 6.5 Diesel that had 266k Miles but I got it dirt cheap. $1100 bucks. Now I have put another $800 bucks in repairs fixing all the other problems created by years of neglect. The 6.5's got a bad reputation but once you get the hang of them they are pretty reliable and get good mileage. 18-20 in town and 22-24 hwy depending on tire size. The other issue is the IFS is not forgiving when you go lifting them. My plans are to put in a Dana 60 from a F250 and use a leaf spring front and ditch the IFS. The rear on mine is a GM 14 bolt with a 3.73 10.5" Ring gear with full floating axles - bulletproof. So other than setting it up with leafs and lift, shocks and better tires its a no brainer. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it. But for pulling it does ok just not as good as a cummins 12v/24v or a 7.3 powerstroke ford. But ...it was a great vehicle for the price. To answer question - 4wd...definitely!

ert01

Adventurer
I'd say that's not exactly correct... a locked 2wd will go a lot of paces, but some terrain like mud/sand/snow dictates a need for 4wd. A locked 2wd will not follow an open 4wd in those conditions... however, on a rocky trailer or dirt two track or slick rock, then yes a locked 2wd would be just fine.

Really it depends what the terrain is like where you like to travel to. I live in Alberta and most of what we have here for back country trails are loose rock and mud. 4wd rules here, but many places I've wheeled in the US, a 2wd would work well.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
So for launching a boat, State Park camping and towing a horse trailer it will be closer to 99% good ;-)

Seriously, 2wd will do great for the intended application. But if concerned or like insurance, add locker and winch...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior