Camper 3-point subframe crack

lbarcher

Adventurer
Ooof, that looks stout and will probably hold but in my experience and on the advice of my welding instructor that isn't the best way to do it.
Your plate should have been longer and notched significantly on the ends (like ><). This allows the stress to be spread over a longer weld and the notches
eliminate the shear point created by the heat of the weld. Check any shop that does heavy truck frame work.
Ultimately you're probably OK but keep an eye on it.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Ooof, that looks stout and will probably hold but in my experience and on the advice of my welding instructor that isn't the best way to do it.
Your plate should have been longer and notched significantly on the ends (like ><). This allows the stress to be spread over a longer weld and the notches
eliminate the shear point created by the heat of the weld. Check any shop that does heavy truck frame work.
Ultimately you're probably OK but keep an eye on it.

Heh, I'll never see it again unless the subframe breaks!

It might not be as strong as possible, but I'm pretty confident that it is strong enough.

I've learned to trust guys that weld day in and day out - if they say it will hold then it will hold. This was done by a guy who spends most of his days fixing stuff like this.

GR8ADV

Explorer
This looks like a fatigue crack to me. Is the beam running longitudinally? If so I would expect that if you have another parallel member to this, it is under the same level of fatigue stress and should be reinforced.

This seems odd to me for a fuso frame unless it is carrying unintended loading (amount or direction) or has been extended etc. in addition I would have expected the crack to be at the top of e beam and not the bottom but that is based on a quick glance without knowing the geometry and/or loading. Engineers are your friend. Ask around locally or go to the nearest university with pics and drag a civil prof or grad student out for lunch and a look. They love this kinda stuff.

The problem I see with bandage patches like this is that sometimes the underlying problem may be transferred other places. Sometimes not....

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
This looks like a fatigue crack to me. Is the beam running longitudinally? If so I would expect that if you have another parallel member to this, it is under the same level of fatigue stress and should be reinforced.

This seems odd to me for a fuso frame unless it is carrying unintended loading (amount or direction) or has been extended etc. in addition I would have expected the crack to be at the top of e beam and not the bottom but that is based on a quick glance without knowing the geometry and/or loading. Engineers are your friend. Ask around locally or go to the nearest university with pics and drag a civil prof or grad student out for lunch and a look. They love this kinda stuff.

The problem I see with bandage patches like this is that sometimes the underlying problem may be transferred other places. Sometimes not....
The whole frame broke in half (both sides of the factory frame). See thread HERE
Factory frame extended
VERY heavy load
3-point subframe concentrated load points to factory frame
robinsonfuso-frame.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier