'99 Taco leaking front axle seal...can't get it to stop.

Clutch

<---Pass
Long story short,

Replaced the CV Axles with OEM Toyota remans. part # 43430-04020-84

I couldn't get the passenger side to seat correctly, (seal is set at the correct depth) took it to a differential shop, probably the best in town to see if I am missing something.

He tore the differential apart, everything looks fine...except the torrington bearings have a slight bit of play. He machined bushings to take up the slack. Similar to what East Coast Gear Supply does for the '05 and up Tacos. Redid the breather, just in case. Put new bearings in, new upgraded Toyota seal, CV is OEM Toyota as I said, which is speccing correctly, the seal is speccing correctly. Thought the slinger might of been putting undo pressure on the seal, took that off.

The tech test drove it, everything was fine.

I just picked the truck up this evening, drove it for about an hour...started leaking again. The tech said if it leaks again he isn't sure what else to do.

The old seals/axles with 280K miles on them never leaked.

Could the new reman OEM axle be machined wrong? should I replace the axle tube? Not sure what else to do, at a loss.

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I wonder if the axle shaft re-installation could have damaged the seal. As cumbersome as it may be, if you want it to be non-leaking, try replacing the seal once more. Put plenty of grease on the seal and insert the axle shaft as gently as humanly possible. Ugh, gross, but I don't know how else to word it.

My front axle seals (solid front axle) have been leaking for almost all of the 16 years I've owned the truck. I replaced them once and they just started leaking again. The amount doesn't end up being much. I just check the level every once in a while but it never seems to be any lower, even though the leaking stuff makes quite a mess.

**ah, okay. I don't know what to try next then. Sorry.**

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
We have tried 3 seals, I was insanely careful slipping the axle in. The last two were installed by a pro. If it was only weeping, I could see... it is leaking pretty bad, or I would let it go.

I am guessing something is wrong with the reman axle. I talked to Toyota this morning they are going to warranty the axle and exchange it for another.

Tried getting a brand new axle, to take out the reman variable, said there aren't any...only remans.

Have also searched for a better seal, can't find anything...also thought of doing a speedi-sleeve...(which you shouldn't have to do for a new axle)...however they don't make the size I need.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
**ah, okay. I don't know what to try next then. Sorry.**

no worries, I am at a loss...can tell because I am posting on here and on TTORA, I usually never ask for technical help. (actually broke down and took it to a shop too...)

See if changing the axle out does the trick, if it doesn't, not sure what else do to....SAS it I guess...that goes against my being though :D

It is about time for a new truck, I am waiting to see what 2015 will bring....maybe a *gasp* F150 Eco-Boost. Not sure if I can leave Toyota.

We looked at the Tundras this morning...the DC seems to kill a couple birds with one stone. About the same rear legroom as our Trooper...maybe get rid of it and the Taco, she is kinda hot for the Scion FR-S for zipping around town in. Big truck and little car seems like a decent combo to have.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Didn't know you could double up the seal

Anyways. My coworker had this same problem but with a older Camry. We tried aftermarket axle. Factory reman axle. Several seals from aftermarket to factory seals. I'm the end someone had to pony up and buy a brand new factory axle as that was the only thing we haven't tired. Bam it fixed it. We contacted Toyota telling them their factory remans axle isn't to spec and I think they partly paid for the new axle.

Either way you did a lot more than we did and our fix was a new factory axle. Not reman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks Kurt...didn't even think of that! About at our wits end...

Is it true that Toyota only sells remans now? At least that is what the parts guy told me.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks Kurt...didn't even think of that! About at our wits end...

Is it true that Toyota only sells remans now? At least that is what the parts guy told me.

To my knowledge they are both still available, 43430-04020 is new, 43430-04020-84 is reman.

Clutch

<---Pass
To my knowledge they are both still available, 43430-04020 is new, 43430-04020-84 is reman.

Thanks, I'll ask again.

Toyota said they would exchange my current axle for another, I asked if I could get a new one and pay the difference...they said no, plus new axles weren't available.

austintaco

Explorer
There's also the brand that Napa carries, Altrom, that is supposed to be by the same mfr that Toyota uses. How bad is the leak? Don't throw out the baby with the bath water

Clutch

<---Pass
There's also the brand that Napa carries, Altrom, that is supposed to be by the same mfr that Toyota uses. How bad is the leak? Don't throw out the baby with the bath water

Leak is spraying all over the place and leaving a puddle. The stock one never leak, why I don't think there was anything wrong with the diff, but we did it anyway. It has a bunch of miles on it...so I think it was good to tear it apart and inspect it. Not too upset about that.

Funny thing, I am adamant about using OEM parts, and it is giving me trouble.

Toyota is going to warranty the axle, I just don't know if I want another reman. I already paid the differential shop $775, plus me fussing with it... I tried 3 seals as well, (1 from Marlin and 2 of the newer style from Toyota) plus the diff shop tried 2. Really think Toyota should let me have a new one, I am willing to pay the difference between it and the reman. I have just a bit over $1000 into this thing...and it is still leaking.

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
Do you have a locker up front? You know more about this stuff than I do, but I just remembered that I had a similar problem when I had my truck re geared with an ARB. The shop put too much diff fluid in and it was leaking out of the fill hole. However, after I drained some fluid, the seal burst, and then it was a scramble to find another seal, in town, so we could get on the road.

I didn't do the work at that time, but I was in the shop, running to the store, and brainstorming with them to get the leak fixed.

IIRC, the O'reilly seal didn't work, so we had to get an OEM. I believe the first seal (when the leak started) was not seated properly.

After getting an OEM seal, having it seat properly, and then reinstall, the leak was gone, and has not returned. That was in 2012.

Check the fluid level
Use an OEM seal (maybe two as others have suggested)

Hope you figure something out. Report back

Clutch

<---Pass
EDIT: Toyota said they would get me a new axle.

No locker, and I have the ADD diff. No nicks in the axle tube either...but I was getting ready to replace that as well...didn't know what else to do.

The last 4 seals were OEM. New style as well, where the whole thing has a rubber coating.

This is what the old style looks like.

ifs-axle-housing-seal-tacoma-right.jpg

...and the new.

w01331740686ish.jpg

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
New axle will fix it. It's an odd ball thing and doesn't happen often. I installed more remains than you know. Cost is cheaper but looks like every once in a while the reman isn't gonna work. May least they gonna get you a new one.

Clutch

<---Pass
New axle will fix it. It's an odd ball thing and doesn't happen often. I installed more remains than you know. Cost is cheaper but looks like every once in a while the reman isn't gonna work. May least they gonna get you a new one.

Good to hear.

Should I double seal it just in case? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior