Skid plates to save catalytic converter?

spikemd

Explorer
I have a 2003 V8 4Runner with the three cats, two upper and the one lower. With the rash of catalytic converters being stolen, I am thinking of how to protect mine. I am considering getting full skid plates underneath to kill two birds with one stone. There is a device "CatClamp", but it looks kinda lame and is expensive.

I was thinking this might be the best way to convince my wife that we NEED skidplates.

Do you think the skid plates would be enough of a deterent to ward off thieves?

I figure, anything that makes it difficult to use a 'sawzall' would make a thief leave. These are being stolen in broad daylight all over. My friend just had theirs stolen off a 3rd gen 4Runner in the lot I park in at work last week! Luckily, I was out of town.

:REOutShootinghunter

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I love my full length Bud Built skids on my 06 4Runner. Well made and lots of protection.

richard cabesa

Adventurer
It couldn't hurt. I would think the only tool they carry would be the cordless sawzall. Though it would work on the skidplate too, anything out of the norm might scare them off.

corax

Explorer
A friend of mine works at a dealership that had a bunch stolen off their new car lot, so they started tack welding the flanges together as a deterent. Now they have whole exhausts to replace instead. Friggin' crackheads

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I think it would detour thieves. It's a big PIA to get mine off and most thieves are not going to want to spend that much time cutting a heavy skid plate off to get to the cat.

heeltoe989

Explorer
CA-RJ said:
I think it would detour thieves. It's a big PIA to get mine off and most thieves are not going to want to spend that much time cutting a heavy skid plate off to get to the cat.

X2

I don't think they would go after mine with a big 1/4 belly pan covering everything.

If the want the muffler they can have it :)

Funrover

Expedition Leader
There are 2 companies here in CO Springs that have done this. ROCKWARE and Armorology. Both are very reputable and have earned my respect. I know that www.rockware.net has a pic of similar on a rover!

ShearPin

Adventurer
Something to be mindful of in the design.... when I first saw cat guards on the Rover market a number of years ago a few stories circulated of fires starting as a result of the installs. In areas with tall vegetation it was reportedly getting trapped and collecting against the cat and igniting.

I didn't personally see it - I could see how it could happen.

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles