Steering gear computer module fried

So I had a Warn winch installed on my truck by the Leonard truck accessory people. When they were finished, my service advancetrack light came on and the steering wheel locked up. Somehow they got it to disengage and I drove away. The next day as I was running errands it happened again. I had it towed to the ford dealership and they told me that my steering gear control module was fried and that its gonna cost $1500 to fix it and that they cannot tell me if it was the winch that sent the sensors awry. They also told me they refuse to hook up the winch to determine if that's what caused it and said I needed to take it back to the Leonard people and have them hook it up to determine if it was their fault in case it happens again.

I'm about to go on a 2-3 month expedition and don't have time to take someone to court let alone pay another $1500 if that's what caused it. Leonard people said all they did was attach the power wires to the battery. Could the act have somehow tripped some stupid sensor?
So I'm asking for opinions...??? Can a winch being hooked up cause all these problems with sensors and computer modules and short everything out?

Last edited:

82fb

Adventurer
What is a steering gear control module?

Second, did the winch cables get hooked up backwards?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
What is a steering gear control module?

Second, did the winch cables get hooked up backwards?

Ford's Advanctrac is a electronic stability control (ESC) system, also referred to as electronic stability program (ESP) or dynamic stability control (DSC), is a computerized technology [1][2] that improves the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and reducing loss of traction (skidding).[3] When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer. Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained. ESC does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance; instead, it helps to minimize the loss of control. According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of fatal accidents could be prevented by the use of the technology.[4][5]

I can't really see how connecting a winch could have harmed it - did they do any welding on the vehicle perhaps?

Shouldn't it be covered under the vehicle warranty since your truck is a 2012 model?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
This happens all the time. Normally what causes this is the module or connector is UN-plugged then plugged back in with the battery connected. Stupid design by Ford but it sells us a lot of steering gears.

This happens all the time. Normally what causes this is the module or connector is UN-plugged then plugged back in with the battery connected. Stupid design by Ford but it sells us a lot of steering gears.

So, does that fry the module?
What do you mean they sell you lots of steering gears? Confused...

Ford's Advanctrac is a electronic stability control (ESC) system, also referred to as electronic stability program (ESP) or dynamic stability control (DSC), is a computerized technology [1][2] that improves the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and reducing loss of traction (skidding).[3] When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer. Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained. ESC does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance; instead, it helps to minimize the loss of control. According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of fatal accidents could be prevented by the use of the technology.[4][5]

I can't really see how connecting a winch could have harmed it - did they do any welding on the vehicle perhaps?

Shouldn't it be covered under the vehicle warranty since your truck is a 2012 model?

No welding was done. Warranty was over due to higher mileage.

Is the module or connector connected directly to the battery?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Is the module or connector connected directly to the battery?

Something happens to the electronics in the steering gear assy when it is unplugged and plugged back in with the battery connected, its really strange. I can think of three we have done this year that the vehicle was being worked on by an outside shop, and when the repair was finished the light was on and the gear was smoked. All that I can tell you is Fords Tech line told us you can not unplug the gear with out first disconnected the vehicles battery. I think its a crappy design. I am sure this happens a lot and the vehicle is still under warranty so nobody really takes notice.

Something happens to the electronics in the steering gear assy when it is unplugged and plugged back in with the battery connected, its really strange. I can think of three we have done this year that the vehicle was being worked on by an outside shop, and when the repair was finished the light was on and the gear was smoked. All that I can tell you is Fords Tech line told us you can not unplug the gear with out first disconnected the vehicles battery. I think its a crappy design. I am sure this happens a lot and the vehicle is still under warranty so nobody really takes notice.
Mine is past it's warranty due to mileage. Am I screwed? Is there a secret warranty?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
This is why I stick to older vehicles. Less new fangled gadgetry to go wrong. That ESC is for lazy drivers who never learned how to really drive. I've been in plenty of skids on icy roads and never once lost control. At the very least, the truck should have ben built so that if the ESC does get fried, it doesn't disable the whole truck.

At any rate, sounds more like a defective product to me. Warranty or no, the dealership should replace it. If not, get in contact with Ford motor company and talk to them. Some dealers are pretty shifty and stupid and don't realize that if they don't take care of customers needs, they soon loose those customers. FMC does not like this and can order them to replace it, or send you to a dealer who will. If the dealer was smart, he'd have replaced the module already and then did all the leg work to find out if that company damaged it or not and then demanded they pay for it, or just wrote it off as quality customer service. Trust me, you can have the best products in the world, but if you have lousy customer service, it won't mean squat if you can't sell it.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Mine is past it's warranty due to mileage. Am I screwed? Is there a secret warranty?

You need to call 1-800-392-FORD and get to a supervisor and plead your case. Be cool, show loyalty to the product and maybe they will help. Ford can make after warranty adjustments to 6 years and 100k. Your local dealer also has funds to help, if you are a good customer they might help, I get 25k a year for goodwill that is at my discretion. Don't go into this like Ford owes you, or it is a defect, if you do they will cut you off at the knees. If you need advise call me during working hours....949-289-0099

You need to call 1-800-392-FORD and get to a supervisor and plead your case. Be cool, show loyalty to the product and maybe they will help. Ford can make after warranty adjustments to 6 years and 100k. Your local dealer also has funds to help, if you are a good customer they might help, I get 25k a year for goodwill that is at my discretion. Don't go into this like Ford owes you, or it is a defect, if you do they will cut you off at the knees. If you need advise call me during working hours....949-289-0099
Thank you very much. Dan

Last edited:

phydough

Observer
Just spitballing here. The newer F-150's have electronically assisted power steering, yes? Can this system be ripped out and replaced with steering gear from a Raptor (hydraulically assisted) ???? Or even hydro steering gear from a '04-08?

I guess this is a question(s) aimed at FordGuy1.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Just spitballing here. The newer F-150's have electronically assisted power steering, yes? Can this system be ripped out and replaced with steering gear from a Raptor (hydraulically assisted) ???? Or even hydro steering gear from a '04-08?

I guess this is a question(s) aimed at FordGuy1.[/QUOT
You would need to find a way to reprogram the PCM. My guess is you would have a lot of issues with the electronics in the truck.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Um dumb question but why would you want to use a truck that has computer steering as a adventure rig. I know my Super Duty if I lose the pcm I'm done for but that's one computer and I have a spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94